Commuting on a XJR1300, would you do it? (1 Viewer)

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Starting a new job in the next few weeks and have a three options open to me:

Bus and train combination - 2 hours each way, cost £5.32 per day with season tickets (£10 per day on a one off basis)
Pros - cheap
Cons - I can't really see me spending 4 hours a day commuting on public transport without losing the will to live or resorting to killing someone talking loudly on a phone in the quiet carriage!

Drive - about an hour each way, cost circa £10.80 in fuel plus depreciation & running costs
Pros - better commute time
Cons - twice the cost of bus/train and means using a large section of the notorious A34

Bike - about 40 minutes each way, cost about £9 in fuel plus depreciation and running costs.
Pros - sensible commute time, fun ride to and from work, less impacted by slow traffic on the A34
Cons - wet weather, commute in the dark for the next 5 months

I am thinking that the bike commute might be the better option but there is no way I would want to commute on my tricked up YZF600RR which is a real licence loser, has an 'arse higher than your head' riding style, uncomfortable weight on the wrists under 70+mph and really is not a good look when I pop the visor and everyone realises that I am over 50.

That only leaves my XJR1300SP in absolute mint condition with less than a 1000 dry miles on the clock. Downside is that it is a bare bike with no screen but it could commute nicely.
But more importantly, it would mean sticking a lot of wet weather miles on my baby!

What would you do?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I worry about 1 hour car, 40 mins bike. Do you reckon you can do that twice a day and live ? Remember how long it takes to get your kit on and off.

I'm sorry to bang on about my bike but I read about silly miles being put on them by commuters together with 70+ mpg and great comfort. Cheap as chips. Honda reliability. Oh, it's a CB500X.

Definitely don't use the 1300, that would be a real shame and probably dearer than a car to run those miles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Commuting on a bike in winter is no fun but a lot do it, think I would use the car though.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Maybe buy something cheap, just to hack to work on, that way you probably wouldn't lose much when you want to sell it.

After being an all weather rider on a R1200GS... and experienced the mess winter salt does... and the fact it was kin heavey and lethal (inertia) in snow...

I’d agree with @Manic But something similar to what the despatch riders choose... they know best (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I would let the train take the strain.....entertain yourself by tuning into motorhome fun MS office on route or even shut your eyes for a couple of hours....each to their own.(y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
It's not just the wet weather you need to contemplate, its also the cold / ice and the salt associated with winter.

I've commuted circa 22-25 miles each way (route dependent) by motorcycle since around 2002 and have base layers, electrically heated mid layer jacket, heated grips etc to make it more "comfortable". I also classify and treat my bikes as utility vehicles, there to be used.

If the bike is "your baby", I think you should get it valeted and anti corrosion treated before and after winter, I use this guy in Newbury who has consistently done a good job over the years:-

http://www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk/

Of course, you could do it yourself with ACF50 or similar, but I don't have the professional equipment and wouldn't make as good a job of it.

As has been said, the alternative would be to buy a cheap commuter bike rather than expose the XJR to the elements.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Commute over the winter and learn a language or something else which could get you promoted or enhance an interest when retired (depending where you see yourself in your career). Bike when weather picks up (hopefully more than 2 weeks in the summer).

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Have done the commute myself on my own XJR13, Bit of a heavy beast and not the greatest on fuel, if i were you i would think about getting something a little more nimbler and lighter on the fuel.

OP
OP
cornish boy

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
I worry about 1 hour car, 40 mins bike. Do you reckon you can do that twice a day and live ? Remember how long it takes to get your kit on and off.

The A34 past East Ilsley through to Didcot has more than its fair share of incidents and holdups meaning the car journey is longer than a bike. I would also consider staying away from the A34 on the bike and going instead through Pangbourne, Goring and Didcot.

Have forgotten how long it takes to get dressed up and while it is a very valid point, I sort of discount that element in the same way I have discounted the time taken to find a parking space and time walking to and from the station/bus stop.

Buying a dedicated commuter bike wasn't on the cards as I have way too many toys already in my wifes eyes! However, I have discovered that it does take her a few days to realise something new has arrived as long as I hide it carefully!

OP
OP
cornish boy

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Have done the commute myself on my own XJR13, Bit of a heavy beast and not the greatest on fuel, if i were you i would think about getting something a little more nimbler and lighter on the fuel.

Yep, the XJR drank about double the fuel running to my old job than my Smart car did...

But it gave me a lot bigger smile though! (y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
The B4494 from Newbury to Wantage is quite a nice route, then an easy jump across to Didcot from there. That said, I'd go A34 in the worst of the cold weather. Generally speaking, I think on a bike the A34 will probably be the quickest route .

OP
OP
cornish boy

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
The B4494 from Newbury to Wantage is quite a nice route, then an easy jump across to Didcot from there. That said, I'd go A34 in the worst of the cold weather. Generally speaking, I think on a bike the A34 will probably be the quickest route .

I will be coming from just outside Basingstoke so have the option of the A340 to the A4 and then up through Pangbourne and Goring as an alternative route.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Maybe buy something cheap, just to hack to work on, that way you probably wouldn't lose much when you want to sell it.
Yep, a VFR 800 would be a good winter bike (y)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I`m with Brian on this one, I used to drive a round trip of 120 miles to work, in the car took about 1-10 mins arrived into work fresh, dry and ready for a 12 hr shift, the same journey on my VFR750 took an hour and I was knackered, in the winter cold and wet.
For what a saving of 10 mins, 15mins at best, shaving 20mins of an hour journey doesn`t sound like that`s a very safe of comfortable commute to me.
I certainly wouldn`t use the XJR, buy an hack something like an VFR750, very comfortable, fast if you want and ultra reliable, plus as cheap as chips.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I used to have a XJR1300 and loved it. We toured in France on it and it was great.

6000miles in six months and loved riding every mile.

But boy did it turn furry under the assault of winter roads.

Had to strip the brakes every month, used gallons of WD40 trying to keep it running nice and looking good.

Buy a older bike for around £1500, run it through the winter and you would probably get back most of the purchase price when u sell it in the spring.

OP
OP
cornish boy

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Let the train take the strain for the first couple of months and then reassess.

To get the best price I need to buy 12 month season tickets, anything less gets really expensive so trying the train for a couple of months isnt really an option.

Just realised that I have put £10 in the OP as the one off cost when in fact it is £20 to use the bus and the train.

OP
OP
cornish boy

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
I`m with Brian on this one, I used to drive a round trip of 120 miles to work, in the car took about 1-10 mins arrived into work fresh, dry and ready for a 12 hr shift, the same journey on my VFR750 took an hour and I was knackered, in the winter cold and wet.
For what a saving of 10 mins, 15mins at best, shaving 20mins of an hour journey doesn`t sound like that`s a very safe of comfortable commute to me.
I certainly wouldn`t use the XJR, buy an hack something like an VFR750, very comfortable, fast if you want and ultra reliable, plus as cheap as chips.

I am beginning to come around to seeing sense and considering using the car. (y)

My wife isn't over the moon about the idea of me commuting by bike as she has heard me departing and arriving back at the village at times! :)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Take a car, cheaper and more versatile than the train , more chance of surviving esp if bad winter, and the risk of A34 holdup is less than a permanent one on a bike ! Horses for courses , my burgman will be SORN , and the defender up for duty :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'd use a bike regardless of the weather. Every traffic jam you don't get caught in makes it worthwhile and it makes the journey far more enjoyable, even in the rain, than if you were sat in a little tin cage.

If the XJR is mint and you want to keep it that way then perhaps like someone else suggested get a cheap commuter to put the wet miles on. Plenty of them around at this time of year and I'm sure Kerry will never notice (y)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Starting a new job in the next few weeks and have a three options open to me:

Bus and train combination - 2 hours each way, cost £5.32 per day with season tickets (£10 per day on a one off basis)
Pros - cheap
Cons - I can't really see me spending 4 hours a day commuting on public transport without losing the will to live or resorting to killing someone talking loudly on a phone in the quiet carriage!

Drive - about an hour each way, cost circa £10.80 in fuel plus depreciation & running costs
Pros - better commute time
Cons - twice the cost of bus/train and means using a large section of the notorious A34

Bike - about 40 minutes each way, cost about £9 in fuel plus depreciation and running costs.
Pros - sensible commute time, fun ride to and from work, less impacted by slow traffic on the A34
Cons - wet weather, commute in the dark for the next 5 months

I am thinking that the bike commute might be the better option but there is no way I would want to commute on my tricked up YZF600RR which is a real licence loser, has an 'arse higher than your head' riding style, uncomfortable weight on the wrists under 70+mph and really is not a good look when I pop the visor and everyone realises that I am over 50.

That only leaves my XJR1300SP in absolute mint condition with less than a 1000 dry miles on the clock. Downside is that it is a bare bike with no screen but it could commute nicely.
But more importantly, it would mean sticking a lot of wet weather miles on my baby!

What would you do?

Had a new 1300SP in 2001, probably one of the best bikes I have had and did look at getting another for playing around on..
Cannot see that sort mileage on an XJR being a problem as they are comfy bikes to ride but it would rack up the miles and although they are well built the casing and fork lacquer does start to peel very easy, even worse when the salt is about.

I would consider selling it to me and buying a bit of a dog cheap to run for the winter:):)

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Take the car - life expectancy is much better. People drive half asleep and like twats on the morning commute. I passed my test in '69 and used to go to school on my Bonneville but no way would I commute now - way too dangerous.

If you must do it buy a Bandit - cheap, reliable, made of cheese but practical. Get yourself decent Rukka Gear, Daytona Boots for weather protection and some heated grips fitted.

The gear will cost you more than the bike :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know this is not in the spirit of the thread but is there no chance of car share with someone, halve the car cost

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back