Community speedwatch (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Can a prosecution for speeding result from volunteers operating a radar speed gun.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
AFAIK Not directly.
However if the volunteers witnessed something more serious, then they can 'report' it, and the police can take further action.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Misuse of equipment would be my first line of defence :) so i would say no.

The volunteers have no more authority than you or I and come to it a PCSO.
Any member of the public can report an incident what ever it may be.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
They have done this down our way with school kids as a exercise and all they do is stop the motorist and give them a slapped wrist in front of the kids.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
You get a letter from mr plod stating that you were clocked at whatever speed at said location and that you are reminded of the speed Limit ,no points or fine .
Apparently said letters can be sent from various locations as the wannabe enforcers keep moving ,,so I'm led to believe . :whistle2:

Vlad

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
On tv they were stopped from doing this in their village as plod said they were fed up sending letters out as they were too vigilant :confused:

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Our village do this often, it only leads to fine etc if you are caught again. I understand you are
sent a letter from the police and sometimes they call on you to have chat!

The answer is reduce your SPEED!!!!!.

colyboy

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think you will require a recent calibration certificate at least....

the outlawes

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
diss norfolk
Funster No
MH
auto roller
Exp
im a newbie
Had a letter from mr plod. My wife handed it over and said you want to slow down . Had a good look at time and place on the letter . She was driving lol. She got her own back a few months later when i got one clocked in the work van my boss was not amused.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The volunteers also report those using a hand hand mobile, as said though, a letter noting your alleged speeding will arrive as my neighbour can testify.
If you stop and give the volunteers verbal abuse, you will get a visit from the Police.
Some volunteers in my village have stopped taking part due to abuse from villagers and those from elsewhere that stop their cars and tell the volunteers where to stick the speed gun!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
On tv they were stopped from doing this in their village as plod said they were fed up sending letters out as they were too vigilant :confused:
I believe that is near us at Ticknall. They are so active that Derbyshire Police could not keep up with the reported complaints

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We had a campaign some years ago after the parish council kicked up about people speeding through the village. In response to requests the police started setting up speed traps. The first person caught was the vociferous chairman of the parish council!

We did not laugh at all.............

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The wife had one which allegedly clocked her speeding in Plympton. I replied by email giving evidence that we were elsewhere in my car on that day and her car never left the drive in Newton Abbot. Could'nt even get the right day so what hope of using the speed gun properly!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It is a complete and utter waste of ******* time.

Get rid of the PCSO's and employ real coppers to do the job. Same with the bumble bees on the motorway. Sat in expensive 4x4's looking at their phones, bored sh1tless waiting for a breakdown.

Get coppers back in traffic cars with powers to pull people for using phones, tail gating, lane hugging and being general *****.

TM

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Misuse of equipment would be my first line of defence :) so i would say no.

The volunteers have no more authority than you or I and come to it a PCSO.
Any member of the public can report an incident what ever it may be.

Hmm. I often see the PCSO's in our area operating handheld radar. Curiosity got the better of me, so I did a search to find out what powers they do have.

Quite extensive if granted approved, 11 pages full here, so be careful how you respond to them ...

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
In a village near us they complained about speeding motorists so the police sent one of their unmarked cars round a few times. First 7 people caught all lived in the village.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They have done this down our way with school kids as a exercise and all they do is stop the motorist and give them a slapped wrist in front of the kids.
Is that the Police that stop the motorist? As a member of the public should not be doing that for all sorts of reasons.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It is a complete and utter waste of ******* time.

Get rid of the PCSO's and employ real coppers to do the job. Same with the bumble bees on the motorway. Sat in expensive 4x4's looking at their phones, bored sh1tless waiting for a breakdown.

Get coppers back in traffic cars with powers to pull people for using phones, tail gating, lane hugging and being general *****.

TM
Who will be paying for all these new coppers, even the shadow home secretary couldn't come up with the detail of how this could be financed..

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
To answer the OP which was mine , yes a fine and points etc can result from a community speedwatch radar operation.
My daughter on the school run after a bad day was clocked at 37mph in a 30mph limit.
She has just received the letter of choices for the alleged offence from Norfolk/Suffolk Constabulary , pay the £100 fine and take 3 points, or go to court to contest allegation or attend a driver education course costing £80. she has chosen the latter.

Surprises me that a prosecution can result from the efforts of non officials, sort of citizens arrest I guess :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back