Communication via Laptop & Mobile (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
The Wrinklies are going across the water (Tunnel) 5 Sept, but need info on how to use Laptop/Internet without going Bankrupt !

Have Laptop/Bluetooth/WiFi
Mobile/Bluetooth/WiFi

All instructions gratefully received :Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Wrinklies are going across the water (Tunnel) 5 Sept, but need info on how to use Laptop/Internet without going Bankrupt !

Have Laptop/Bluetooth/WiFi
Mobile/Bluetooth/WiFi

All instructions gratefully received :Doh:

Use only WiFi. Some free spots. Some rip off spots but at least you will know the cost in advance.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Turn all data off on mobile phone or you will have a right big bill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Wifi is best if you can get it. Sometimes it costs - from free, sometimes 1 euro per day, sometimes 5 euros per hour!). Sometimes it doesn't work well, I have known it be so slow as to be unusable.

Using a mobile for e-mail is not particularly expensive.

You can use the mobile as a modem connected to your computer and then use that as normal. But be very careful if you do. Make sure your computer has everything to do with automatic updates turned off (virus checker, windows, adobe, etc etc) oherwise you could face a big bill! But for occasional banking and just e-mails its OK.

When in Italy for a few weeks earlier this year I used my mobile - sometimes connected to the computer, sometimes not - quite a bit as Wifi was not good. Over the course of nearly 2 months it cost me about £30. Compared to dodgy wifi at often 5 euros per hour I did not think that was bad.

Alternatively buy a Kindle and get it for free!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
When you get the answer-let me know :ROFLMAO:
I've been trying to sort this one out for 2 yrs ::bigsmile: A lot depends on your requirements-e-mails,checking bank account,paying utility bills back home if they become due whilst you are away,gaming,surfing etc.
We tend to use our Mobiles just in sms mode and switch off data connections.
This trip ( we go for 2 mths tomorrow morn) I have a T Mobile dongle and am going to try their Euro Booster-£40 for 200 Mb to be used in 1 mth.
Carolyn has a 3dongle and we will compare costs when we get home.
There seems to be more campsites advertising free wi-fi-so we'll take advantage of that if we end up on any.There's always McDonalds of course :thumb: but we don't come accross them very often and would have to make a point of seeking them out if we were desperate.
From what I've read recently it would seem that Mi-Fi is the way to go-with an unlocked dongle so that you can purchase a local Sim card.We intend looking into that whils't we are away.
Thing is ,it seems to change so fast :ROFLMAO: We're now thinking that maybe a Galaxy Tab would do the job of phone and Laptop.
Last trip (May/June) we used our Kindles for internet quite a lot-a tads slow and a fiddly keyboard-but it did the job.::bigsmile:
You can ,of course,if you use campsites,just pay up and look big :Smile:
Hope there's summat usefull in that lot :ROFLMAO:

Mike.

I forgot bout the 'tethering' option-Motorhomer was posting his as I was still typing lol
Mike

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Alternatively buy a Kindle and get it for free!

Hi

I don't have a Kindle so no idea, but was led to believe it couldn't / shouldn't be tethered..

Stand alone, can it be used to surf, banking, emails etc ?

thanks

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
When you get the answer-let me know :ROFLMAO:
I have a T Mobile dongle and am going to try their Euro Booster-£40 for 200 Mb to be used in 1 mth.
Carolyn has a 3dongle and we will compare costs when we get home.
A 3 dongle will use up your allowance at the rate of £10 per Mb don't bother comparing just send me £10 a min instead it will be cheaper:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
A 3 dongle will use up your allowance at the rate of £10 per Mb don't bother comparing just send me £10 a min instead it will be cheaper:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sometimes the ladies have to find out these things for them selves :ROFLMAO: I know she had a long chat with 3 about the options for Europe,but,I doubt if it's as good a deal as T-Mobile.

Mike

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
We have a kindle 3G and we are in Spaim. The 3G on tje kindle is totally free world wide, it's for. Downloading Books but you can also surf the web. We use it for reading the news BBC news/SKY news etc. I haven't tried surfing to this web site or a banking site but I will do and let you know.

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
hello again. i will type this response better than the last. i am typing this on the Kindle sat
on the beach in Spain logged in to the motorhomefun web site. i have just tried my internet
bank and google email and the all work fine. for free abroad via 3G , you have to buy a Kindle but if you are abroad for sometime it would be worth it. the interface on the kindle is clunky and black and white but hey ho :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back