Commission-free ATM's in Spain?? (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Anyone know which Spanish banks don't charge their own commission for withdrawals using UK issued cards (Starling Bank)?

Many thanks.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Your having a laugh, Spain not charging for cash points! The country is broke right now so any money they can get from folk they will.

Good luck finding one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The problem is that they don't tell you there is a charge until you are well into the process, this has 2 effects with Revolut where you have a monthly free cash limit. You will have stated the amount you want to withdraw and Revolut will have made a reserve against that immediately. When you cancel the transaction because you don't accept the fee the reserve remains in place for 24hrs. Therefore your balance is reduced, however it has also eaten into your monthly cash at ATM limit until it is released. So if you don't know if there will be a charge then only make a small test amount. Of course if you are doing the Revolut - Starling dance then its irrelevant as Starling has no such withdrawal limit.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Your having a laugh, Spain not charging for cash points! The country is broke right now so any money they can get from folk they will.

Good luck finding one.
Spain Broke...not in my estimation it's not... I'm spending like mad since getting back to base.....even starting buying wine at over 1:20€ a bottle...doing my bit so to say...hope you are too..🤔😀😀😀😀😀🇪🇦👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have Revolut and Starling and had this problem the last time we were in Spain, Santander were by far the most expensive however we recently opened up a couple of Santander Everyday current accounts to take advantage of their switch reward (£130 each) with the advantage that their debit cards can be used in Spain, Portugal, Germany & Poland without charge (just make sure you always select local currency).

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Isn't this where Revolut becomes a big game player... Load with pounds and convert to Euros when the rate is favourable....use your card when travelling, carry a minimal amount of cash....many outlets in Spain welcome the use of cards....rather than grubby Covid infected hard cash...I often get strange looks when I hand over euro notes....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Isn't this where Revolut becomes a big game player... Load with pounds and convert to Euros when the rate is favourable....use your card when travelling, carry a minimal amount of cash....many outlets in Spain welcome the use of cards....rather than grubby Covid infected hard cash...I often get strange looks when I hand over euro notes....
I can't remember but don't some shops still have a minimum spend for using a card rather than cash?

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Last time I was there (2019) Santander was free if you had a uk Santander account. Might be worth opening an account just for that purpose.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Been using Revolut now for 4+ years in all of EU and UK - as soon as I use it the phone informs me where/how much/when. Carry very little cash now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Last time I was there (2019) Santander was free if you had a uk Santander account. Might be worth opening an account just for that purpose.
I mentioned it in post #7 above, also Germany, Poland and Portugal.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There are 2 drawbacks with Revolut IMO. one the limit on cash withdrawals and 2 you can only communicate with them by text and have to wait for a response

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
There are 2 drawbacks with Revolut IMO. one the limit on cash withdrawals and 2 you can only communicate with them by text and have to wait for a response
I beleive that 99.9% of banks will be the same within 5 years. Phone/Txt/email banking is here to stay.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We used Santander for many years as it was free but closed the account last year due to the interest rate change, now with Nationwide who say that withdrawals abroad are free.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
We used Santander for many years as it was free but closed the account last year due to the interest rate change, now with Nationwide who say that withdrawals abroad are free.
Nationwide it is the exchange rate so good in shops. Santander good as per Minxy Girl's post if you need cash from an ATM.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Only if you have their FlexPlus account which you pay £13 a month for:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Only if you have their FlexPlus account which you pay £13 a month for:

Which I had but when they reduced the interest rates I closed it and started Nationwide mainly for the breakdown cover

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Uk banks have no control over E.U. banks and can not prevent them from charging when a withdrawal is made.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Uk banks have no control over E.U. banks and can not prevent them from charging when a withdrawal is made.
Perhaps but they don’t have to pass it on to the customer, Nationwide say that the Flexplus account is free so I will go with that.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Perhaps but they don’t have to pass it on to the customer, Nationwide say that the Flexplus account is free so I will go with that.
I think that "free" means that they don't add any charges for you withdrawing in Europe, but the owner of the ATM usually will

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Ouch! just declined €140 at a Santander atm because of the high charge.
lenny what card was you using i hope it was not a santander card

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Think Nationwide is free but the bank who's machine you use charge you.BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back