Coming to UK, Need your advice! (1 Viewer)

Gillault

Free Member
Feb 28, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there!
I am going to UK and Ireland soon (first time by motorhome:D) So I was wondering if you could help me,
I would like to know what's the best app or website to find where to park, sites, aires and campings..
Thank you in advance :)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The Camping & Caravan Club may be worth joining. Many people use Britstops which don't usually have facilities. There aren't vert many Aires in the UK but what few there are can be found in Camperstop. There is also the Caravan Club.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/?gclid=CKmovrHDstICFW0R0wod6k0JFA

http://www.britstops.com

http://www.camperstop.co.uk/?gclid=CPOMmNnDstICFUMcGwodwXYA2Q

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/membership/?gclid=COar4fDDstICFcEcGwodo-AOrA

If you're going to be around when Motorhome Fun is running a rally then you may possibly be able to attend one, if there is room. Check out the events page to see if any rallies coincide with your holiday.

Bon vacances mon ami. (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Be prepared for a country not that keen on motorhomes!!!! but have a good holiday. The UK is comparatively crowded especially in the south east so there are very few aires ( just the odd one) and you will need to use sites some of which can be very expensive. Come with a boite d'expedition of wine as it costs a lot more here!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
There are also groups which share information about wild camping - many on Facebook - who have maps of places where you can wild camp. There is also a useful web site - https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

Bonne chance!!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
if you come to the U.K. via Calais - Dover, there is a nice aire at the New Dover Rd park and ride. £3 per day (£4 if stopping overnight) with a free bus into Canterbury. Well worth a visit but get to the aire by 2030hrs or you won't get in. You can leave anytime though.
There is also an aire. ( it's actually 5 motorhome parking spaces in a car park but but no real facilities) at Bury St Edmonds in Suffolk. Close to the town centre and old abbey, again, well worth a visit and only £3.30 for a 24 hr stop.
Unlike the rest of Europe, you will have to plan your route and prebook places at campsites, spontaneity is something you leave behind at Calais!
There are a few aires in the UK, most are quite expensive, as mentioned above, Camperstop Europe lists these aires, otherwise I would try to get into the smaller sites accessible via either the Caravan Club (☹️) or the Camping and caravanning club which offers temporary membership to overseas visitors
Of course, there are some independent campsites too, but no municipal sites like you would be used to.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
@Gillault and welcome.
Lots of good advice above but I will add one further way to find out about places to stop and that is through Motorhome Fun :)
If you have planned out a route you are likely to take you could just ask the question on here.
Where is the best place to stay near ????
Someone asked recently about Pembrokeshire and got lots of useful replies.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As mentioned above searchforsites is good also try campercontact, if your on facebook you will find a few groups like camping pubs, motorhome stopovers and scottish wildcamping. As kKen mentioned joining the caravan club might be worth it as you could use all their CL's and dont forget Keith's pubs on here.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Bonjour et bienvenue!

Afin de profiter au maximum des ressources de ce fantastique forum, ainsi que d'une aide qui pourrait s'avérer providentielle durant ton voyage outre manche, je te suggère fortement de devenir un membre à part entière en souscrivant pleinement. Pour souscrire, tu remontes vers le haut , et sur la barre des tâches environ à mi-course , se trouve "subscribe". Un excellent investissement de 15£ qui te permettra, 1) plus de 5 posts sinon, au-delà tu ne peux plus poster, mais lire seulement. 2) de recevoir et envoyer des messages privés, et 3) d'accéder à TOUTES les sections de ce site. Pour l'instant certaines des section te sont cachées.
Voilà, j'ai fait le tour, et te souhaite la meilleure des récoltes d'infos.
Un souci dans la langue de Shakespeare, tu me sonnes et hop ..suis là!
D'ailleurs , gaffe, camping bien qu'en ING est un faux-ami, pas anglais, mais français LOL. Campsite est le terme qui convient. Ceci dit... tout le monde a compris!

Amicalement

Frankie (nana)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi there!
I am going to UK and Ireland soon
Thank you in advance :)

Are you sure you've thought this through ? Standard advice on here "get across the channel to France, everything is a thousand times better over there".

Maybe you are a fugitive ? Are you going to rob a bank ?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Bonjour et bienvenue!
Un souci dans la langue de Shakespeare, tu me sonnes et hop ..suis là!
D'ailleurs , gaffe, camping bien qu'en ING est un faux-ami, pas anglais, mais français LOL. Campsite est le terme qui convient. Ceci dit... tout le monde a compris!

Amicalement

Frankie (nana)
I think Yodeli summed up my thoughts perfectly.
Apart from the great advice so far, you must try BACON whilst you are here. Grill it and place it between 2 white slices of bread that have had some butter spread on them, lightly pour some brown sauce round in a circle with a blob in the middle. Best cooked within your van with your windows open to create envy for neighbours

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
There was a thread on here the other day about crossing to Ireland from Liverpool. something like seacraftferries ?
It was only 80 quid each way. I was half impressed. Somebody will give you the right link in a mo

OP
OP
G

Gillault

Free Member
Feb 28, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thx everyone for your useful comments and your interesting or funny tips (y):D !!
Et Merci à Yodeli :)
I will have a look to all this, and probably come back very soon with further questions.. :whistle:
:)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Try www.wildcamping.co.uk .. If you join £20 they have a POI file you can download which has Pub Stops , Wild Camping Spots , Taps and Toilets that are easy to get to and not in shopping centres. As with all information you have to make your own mind up if you want to stop.

We managed 14 days on the South Coast without visiting sites and stopped in some really nice places so it can be done.

Deleted User
I've thought a few times that members of the caravan and camping club might have mentioned that their 1st President was Lord Robert Baden Powell founder of the largest youth movement in the World. There are some 600 District and County Scout Camp Sites, plus 1/2 dozen national sites. You have to be a member of course and as an adult required to have the usual security checks done. So mon ami, perhaps your a member of the French Scout Association, and as such would be most welcome.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I've thought a few times that members of the caravan and camping club might have mentioned that their 1st President was Lord Robert Baden Powell founder of the largest youth movement in the World. There are some 600 District and County Scout Camp Sites, plus 1/2 dozen national sites. You have to be a member of course and as an adult required to have the usual security checks done. So mon ami, perhaps your a member of the French Scout Association, and as such would be most welcome.
I suspect the OP has been and now long gone!

Deleted User
If the OP is the 'old person' mentioned, he died in Kenya in 1941, so certainly long gone. But his legacy is 6 million members, not including the Guides.
DYB DYB DYB, DOB DOB DOB aka 'Do your Best', reply, we will 'Do our best'.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If the OP is the 'old person' mentioned, he died in Kenya in 1941, so certainly long gone. But his legacy is 6 million members, not including the Guides.
DYB DYB DYB, DOB DOB DOB aka 'Do your Best', reply, we will 'Do our best'.
When we refer to OP on the forum it is shorthand for Original Poster (of the thread)
So I was referring to Guillard who posted his question about coming to UK in February 2017.
Sometimes very old threads get picked up by someone like you who has not checked the dates.

Deleted User
Riverbankannie, I don't know whether to run with : If a thread is really old, is it relevant and therefore all old threads should they be withdrawn? Thereby keeping the site new and fresh.Or, with regard to the OP terminology, could you please guide me to the section of the forum for abbreviations, etc.
So I can avoid unwanted comments as in ' People like me' So have done both. My time, my advice is totally free and as such open to interpretation to all, whether you use or not, I have no control over. But a thank you tick is always appreciated. DYB DOB. I attempt to live a life based on the 'Scout Promise'. Others have a different point of view.
But appreciate the dialogue all the same, when you get to draw your pension for a few years, it's good to exercise the old grey matter. ;)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Riverbankannie, I don't know whether to run with : If a thread is really old, is it relevant and therefore all old threads should they be withdrawn? Thereby keeping the site new and fresh.Or, with regard to the OP terminology, could you please guide me to the section of the forum for abbreviations, etc.
So I can avoid unwanted comments as in ' People like me' So have done both. My time, my advice is totally free and as such open to interpretation to all, whether you use or not, I have no control over. But a thank you tick is always appreciated. DYB DOB. I attempt to live a life based on the 'Scout Promise'. Others have a different point of view.
But appreciate the dialogue all the same, when you get to draw your pension for a few years, it's good to exercise the old grey matter. ;)
I do apologise for my ill judged use of the phrase “someone like you”. It was no meant to cause offence and would have been better curtailed to “someone”

As to reviving old threads. Of course, some old ones are still relevant as they might be about tehnical advice, about sites and places to visit and so on. Some though are only relevant for a transient time.

I don’t think there is a definitive list of most used forum shorthand, but I expect someone will come along with a few.

Deleted User
Thankyou for the apology. Perhaps someone can come up with a list abbreviations etc. For old bods like me, who have had 5 mobile phones including 2 I phones, dumped them all. I still prefer Quinck and a goose feather ( joking ) But I do love a hand written letter and envelope.
My point of some 600 Scout Camp Sites, which for motor homes I imagine would be confined to the Car Park. But the camaraderie and International Friendship is second to non.
Ian

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thankyou for the apology. Perhaps someone can come up with a list abbreviations etc. For old bods like me, who have had 5 mobile phones including 2 I phones, dumped them all. I still prefer Quinck and a goose feather ( joking ) But I do love a hand written letter and envelope.
My point of some 600 Scout Camp Sites, which for motor homes I imagine would be confined to the Car Park. But the camaraderie and International Friendship is second to non.
Ian
Our local scout campsite is Woodhouse Park. I have looked on the website and downloaded the information sheets but cannot see anywhere that not about scout or school groups using the site. Can you confirm whether or not individuals can use these sites?
By the way, they wouldn’t let me join!

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Go onto Facebook , Scottish motorhome wildcampers have lots of info re "wild camping spots ! with information about them. Also list numerous small harbours too, many of which have been turned into small beautiful aires c/w toilet,Elsan and fresh water available.
Plus you could also do the , NC500 a tourist route around the Highlands ! More info on their Facebook page too.
Come and enjoy wherever you choose !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back