Coming home through Switzerland? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I wondered what the consensus is for doing Nice to Calais through switzerland? Via Aosta and Turin.
We met some swiss campers who said the roads are always kept free of snow and as we had come up to Lemone Piemonte to ski it woyld make sens to hold this route.
What di you seasoned travellers think?
Added bonus more skiing!
However we obviously dont want to find ourselves on icy toads with white out etc.
Any advice much appreciated for this newbie.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Posting again in the hope someone can advise us.
What is the expensive tunnel we have to cross through and what does it cost please?
Any advise re route or campsite recommendations on route?

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
If its the Mont blonc tunnel last mat it cost me €54 1 way

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Como to Basel a good route no expensive tunnel either. You have to psy to use road depending on the van weight.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks.
Having finally sat down with Google maps it looks like we could do
Turino
Chambery taking in sking at van thorens
Lyon
Then north.
So actually that wouldnt involve switzerland.
Has anyone done that route?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We went the other way in the summer over the Grand St Bernard pass. What a road, really great road. They shot the original Italian Job on it.
The temperature difference from Lac Leman at about 300 m up to 2,500 metres was astounding (as a non skier) and heavy coats in the height of summer were a necessity but you would know all about that.
The really nice visuals however are above the tunnel. The tunnel was quite a distance down from the path and they had road works on which meant a good 20 minute wait to go through the tunnel (it was still stiflingly hot at this stage as we got the ice cream out and made everyone jealous) and i am going from memory here but i recall it not being open til May time.
If the path is open I would certainly do that again.
One thing i certainly wouldnt do again is stop in Aosta. the aire is akin to a prison yard and the dress of the people who run it does not fill you with confidence that your van would be there upon return.
Have heard wonderful things about Turin but we didnt go.
Vignette for Switzerland to take into consideration.
The other option is shooting through the French Alps up to Grenoble via Col d'Allos if youre not more than 7 metres and that is open then you can hit Aple D'huez or Les Deux Alpes via Briancon (europes tallest city) but again the aire at Barcelonette is well worthy of a miss especially if it has been raining.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Thanks.
Having finally sat down with Google maps it looks like we could do
Turino
Chambery taking in sking at van thorens
Lyon
Then north.
So actually that wouldnt involve switzerland.
Has anyone done that route?

I think that one is a paying tunnel but you could go via montgevre which, from the french side, isnt a horrible climb. They have a great summer toboggan type thing on rails there which probably wont be open this time of year. I think there might even be a zoo up there or there was a circus when we were there. I seem to remember seeing a giraffe at the top ! From montgevre Alpe dhuez road opens up again.
Travelling from Lyon north I think we have probably done every route bar the toll ones. No decent stopping in Chambery but there is a town just south Challes les eux where they have a new aire next to the reservoir. It is not the directions found in all the aires 17 or camping contact from last year. That one has disappeared so jsut aim for the lake. Loads of out of town shopping there as well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We went the other way in the summer over the Grand St Bernard pass. What a road, really great road. They shot the original Italian Job on it.
The temperature difference from Lac Leman at about 300 m up to 2,500 metres was astounding (as a non skier) and heavy coats in the height of summer were a necessity but you would know all about that.
Its amazing what you see at the top of the Grand St Bernard pass ... :D

st b.jpg

st b 1.jpg
st b 2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back