Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I spent years using toilet paper that had "Government property" stamped on every single sheet. For those of you lucky enough to be unfamiliar with this stuff, it sort of resembled rolls of greaseproof paper, it was more "spread" than "wipe" and if you creased it, the paper cuts were deep! I found that when I left the Army the desire to never use paper like that again had a profound effect on me and for 20 years I was unable to buy anything but the "most expensive" triple ply, quilted pocketed, velvet, Labrador puppy soft paper. It became an addiction. I spent an absolute fortune on my habit.

That was until we bought a Macerator!!

Knowing how good quality paper can jam a macerator we carried out the disintegration test and popped a sheet or two in a glass of water to see how it dissolved, it didn't. The weave so designed to give softness and the strength to prevent a finger penetrating; held fast. Only the cheapest "happy shopper" toilet tissue dissolved quickly so we stocked the motorhome with it. I was devastated, I would even take my "comfy bum" with me to the best hotels, and here in my own Motorhome I was having to make do with the Happy Shopper single ply. A strange thing happened. I got used to it. It did a good job. We now never use anything else.

So for all you people out there paying almost 5 times as much as I am for your comfy bum, don't panic, all is not lost, you can wean yourself off this very expensive addiction. If i did it, anyone can:Smile:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Ditto with the "government property" stuff.... I have a paranoir about it...
We used to think that it was so tough and durable, and marked up so that the government could retrieve it and reuse it again :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Keith

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I was remember that stuff, Dad used to "borrow" it from HMS Ganges.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I spent years using toilet paper that had "Government property" stamped on every single sheet. For those of you lucky enough to be unfamiliar with this stuff, it sort of resembled rolls of greaseproof paper, it was more "spread" than "wipe" and if you creased it, the paper cuts were deep!

Is that the stuff that had "Use Both Sides" printed on it? :roflmto:

Graham

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
The civilian equivalent had "IZAL MEDICATED" on it, which you could sing to the tune of Adeste Fidelis!!!:ROFLMAO:

Bob and Di

Last edited:

sammclouis

Account Deactivated
Aug 14, 2007
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
you could always go even more upmarket.....

21610.jpg

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Response

I must say Guys, that when I started all this talk on the other thread about using newspaper. I never expected so many replies and alternatives!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Maybe we could use grass or a leaf, or a bit of wood or even just our hands!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
That Izal paper used to make great tracing paper,we used to call it John Wayne paper,`cause it's rough,tough and don't take no sh*t off no one.:Angry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I heard you use a Bidet Jim:winky:

Just a little squirt in the right area and your sorted.

JFindexpic.jpg

You could alway have Jeyes fluid fresh airs blocks around to take you back:roflmto:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I spent years using toilet paper that had "Government property" stamped on every single sheet. For those of you lucky enough to be unfamiliar with this stuff, it sort of resembled rolls of greaseproof paper, it was more "spread" than "wipe" and if you creased it, the paper cuts were deep! I found that when I left the Army the desire to never use paper like that again had a profound effect on me and for 20 years I was unable to buy anything but the "most expensive" triple ply, quilted pocketed, velvet, Labrador puppy soft paper. It became an addiction. I spent an absolute fortune on my habit.

That was until we bought a Macerator!!

Knowing how good quality paper can jam a macerator we carried out the disintegration test and popped a sheet or two in a glass of water to see how it dissolved, it didn't. The weave so designed to give softness and the strength to prevent a finger penetrating; held fast. Only the cheapest "happy shopper" toilet tissue dissolved quickly so we stocked the motorhome with it. I was devastated, I would even take my "comfy bum" with me to the best hotels, and here in my own Motorhome I was having to make do with the Happy Shopper single ply. A strange thing happened. I got used to it. It did a good job. We now never use anything else.

So for all you people out there paying almost 5 times as much as I am for your comfy bum, don't panic, all is not lost, you can wean yourself off this very expensive addiction. If i did it, anyone can:Smile:

Rex says:- " Jim, is it good on the (w)hole???"

Marie says: - " Now I understand his fixation with Andrex!!" Apart from the fact that it's the second half of our joint names ( marieandrex!!)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Mmm, comfy bum, so I'm not alone! (I always take decent loo roll with me when stuck in a hotel, and when I go to mums!)

Can't think of the name but it's the one advetised using the baby in a suit, soft soft soft and all that. Wife brought it home to try. Two versions, normal and the extra soft quilted whatever. Both, much to my supprise seem to disolve quickly, the normal one much more so. Acceptably soft in use but once in contact with water for a few minutes becomes very brittle, if you will. No macerator yet but we have one of those hydro flush widgets which means I can see what's exiting the tank. Obviously one pays passing attention looking for clear flow on the back flush. Before the 'soft soft soft' clumps of loo roll would gather and would catch my eye as they exited and sometimes they would cause a temporary blockage requiring additional water to shift. After, well, occationally I notice little clouds passing through the hydro flush and no more blockages!!!::bigsmile:

So me it's possible to have comfy bum and a good flush:Blush:

Can't beleive I'm talking about loo roll..............................:Eeek:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Personally ive always found a good jetwasher does "the job" very well. Gets onto all those "difficult to reach" spots and no worries about the macerator!! :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

Mangothemadmonk

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
Chorley, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We used to use the IZAL stuff at work. It was brilliant. We just scrunched it up and it went as soft (ish) as you like.

Other recommendations are...

A sheep (coat contains lanolin)
Sphagnum Moss (very absorbent and contains an antibacterial thing)

And for the real toughies.......... wire brush and dettol :shout::shout::shout:

Johnny F

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back