Comfortmatic Problem. (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Since Jan 2014
Some advice needed from you knowledgeable people.
We have recently upgraded to an Autotrail (Fiat) 2011 with 3lt 6 speed comfortmatic gearbox, with 13000 miles.
We thought we should take her out for a couple of nights to get used to all the new to us controls both mechanically and with habitation. By the way this is our first Automatic.
We drove to within 2 miles of the site ( after about 70 miles with no problems ), and suddenly it jumped out of gear and was stuck in 2nd. The message CHECK TRANSMISSION and warning light came on also CHECK STEERING and warning light. Then a message AVOID CHANGING GEAR TO OFTEN appeared. We crawled into the site,then checked both transmission and power steering levels. Transmission level was halfway between max and min, the power steering was on minimum.
I topped up both reservoirs before we left for home.
All going well on homeward journey until I exited main A road at our home town at roundabout when again it jumped out into 2nd gear then CHECK ENGINE and warning light appeared. Quite frightening and dangerous.
Has anyone had same problems or know the cause.

In the last two weeks I have had a tracker/ alarm fitted if this may have any connection to this problem.

TIA.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I've managed to confuse my Comfortmatic once, when it went into some sort of limp mode, but that was when driving along dual carriageway. Looking back I think I was hovering between brake and accelerator in traffic that was speed was varying a lot so not quite sure if we would need to slow or accelerate. I think it's quite possible to send the robotised system mixed signals if you swap from braking and accelerator very swiftly. Even so it was disconcerting as until I could actually pull over, and turn off the engine the limp mode remained. At that time I would have only done around a 1000 miles, but it's been fine since over the next 7000.

If your MH has only done 13000 miles since 2011, it's not gone anywhere really, and many trips may have been quite short. Whether simply doing nothing has caused a problem (mechanics like to be used) I dunno. You may have to find a Fiat Professional garage who can do some diagnostics as the behaviour shouldn't be considered normal, or roadworthy.

Worth forewarning your MH dealer of a problem in case there is something amis that you need them to be resolving as part of any purchase warranty.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Like Kannon Fodda I’d notify your dealer straight away. We are on our first Comfirmatic and although I’m not a great fan nothing weird like that has happened when we’ve been driving it. However, we bought it brand new 20 months ago and after a few months it had to go back to the dealer. When they were driving it back it broke down! That was a problem with the gears, the driver couldn’t get it to move between gears on the motorway. It then spent another month at a Fiat Professional in the Nottingham area, it wasn’t the mechanical bit, it was an electronic problem which is apparently better. Clearly I have no understanding of the mechanics but the driver when he finally did bring it back, like you, said it was pretty alarming and not something he’d experienced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
I have an old Merc sprinter based van which has a sprintshift gearbox. I think that this is also a robotised manual.
Anyway I don't know if this will be any help to you but I had a problem when it wouldn't change gear in auto but worked fine when in manual.
It turned out that the sender on the rear wheel was feeding incorrect speed info to the gearbox so it didn't know which gear to be in.
Very easily fixed and the only difficult bit was getting the old one off as it had rusted on.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
It does NOT like "Quick brake/accelerator " moves. This caught me out,mates lad drove one at work and told me. Problem solved.
Tea Bag

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Some advice needed from you knowledgeable people.
We have recently upgraded to an Autotrail (Fiat) 2011 with 3lt 6 speed comfortmatic gearbox, with 13000 miles.
We thought we should take her out for a couple of nights to get used to all the new to us controls both mechanically and with habitation. By the way this is our first Automatic.
We drove to within 2 miles of the site ( after about 70 miles with no problems ), and suddenly it jumped out of gear and was stuck in 2nd. The message CHECK TRANSMISSION and warning light came on also CHECK STEERING and warning light. Then a message AVOID CHANGING GEAR TO OFTEN appeared. We crawled into the site,then checked both transmission and power steering levels. Transmission level was halfway between max and min, the power steering was on minimum.
I topped up both reservoirs before we left for home.
All going well on homeward journey until I exited main A road at our home town at roundabout when again it jumped out into 2nd gear then CHECK ENGINE and warning light appeared. Quite frightening and dangerous.
Has anyone had same problems or know the cause.

In the last two weeks I have had a tracker/ alarm fitted if this may have any connection to this problem.

TIA.

That’s a lot of topping up for a 13000 mile vehicle. Either leaks or poor servicing?

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
We had autotrail comfortmatic, brokedown and was in dealers for months,the dealers couldnt get it repaired,we ended up part exing for a new one it was a very stressfull expensive time, i only have to say the word comfortmatic for hubbys blood pressure to shoot thru roof lol, but i know lots of people like them :

johnnyboy

Free Member
May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
autocruise rhythm
Hi
I’m experiencing the same problem - did you find a solution? I think the comment about rapid switching between brake and acceleration could be relevant as two times it happened to me I was caught in lots of traffic.

Charley1952

Free Member
Nov 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
RT Pegaso 590
Hi everybody, help please!

I have an odd gearbox issue on my 2019 Roller Team Pegaso 590 built on a Fiat Ducato 2.3L 6 speed auto chassis (11,000 miles).
I picked it up from the Midlands 10 days ago and drove to Portsmouth in heavy traffic (M1, M25, A3 on a Friday afternoon...). No problem until I pulled into a garage near home to refuel. I had to wait a couple of minutes to get onto a pump, was sat in Auto1, when the engine started to labour and shake the vehicle. The gearlever was non-responsive, couldn't get into neutral so I stopped the engine. This cleared the fault. It has happened a couple of times since while maneuvering the vehicle on my drive and again on a camping pitch. Stopping the vehicle clears the problem. I've had the diagnostics checked and there are no fault codes.
Has anybody come across this issue? Can you advise, please?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only guess but it could be a problem with the clutch fluid if not changed regularly it goes thick and gooey and causes problems with clutch operation.
It is a single fluid reservoir for both clutch & brakes. Often when serviced they change the brake fluid but don't bleed the clutch so the fluid doesn't get changed.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Only guess but it could be a problem with the clutch fluid if not changed regularly it goes thick and gooey and causes problems with clutch operation.
It is a single fluid reservoir for both clutch & brakes. Often when serviced they change the brake fluid but don't bleed the clutch so the fluid doesn't get changed.
Useful information.

I think people sometimes forget that some fluids deteriorate more with time than mileage. With such a low mileage vehicle the previous owner may not have had it fully serviced for many years. Perhaps the OPs timing belt is also long overdue for changing.

Edit. Torchy do you have a service history for the vehicle.

abouttownman

Free Member
Dec 9, 2022
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido i96
Exp
Since 2017
I have recently experienced a similar comfortmatic gearbox issue with my 2017 Ducato based MH.
I just wanted to post this in the hope that it will help some of you..as having trolled through various forums looking for a solution to my problem, I found that most people don’t ever reveal what their problem really was or how it was resolved…🙄
Ok so a brief recap of what my symptoms were.
So I had a perfectly good working 3.0 180hp Ducato MH until one day I decided to fit an additional rear view camera so as I could have a constant view at the back. I reversed it into my barn switched off and proceeded to go and mount my rear camera. When I had completed what was a simple earth and constant power source wiring set up, I went to start the Ducato which did nothing but bleep and a red warning light appeared on the dash stating gear unavailable consult owners manual. I tried again moving the Gear stick into various positions but still the same warning message and again the engine not even attempting to turn over. It was almost as if it were stuck in drive and the inhibitor refusing to send a message to the starter motor. So immediately I’m thinking I’ve done something wrong with the wiring so as a precaution went and undone the wiring I had added but still the same non starting and red gearbox message. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.. still no joy.

So I’m googling around to see if anyone has had a similar issue and came across one thread about the comfortmatic pump motor packing up as it is supposed to prime the gearbox with fluid when the drivers door is opened. I tried opening the door and couldn’t hear the motor spinning up the pump so I’m convinced this must be my issue. I managed to get hold of a diagnostic machine that when I plugged in to investigate the fault brought up error code P1773 7B Hydroulic circuit flow low pressure /low oil level.
So now I’m convinced my powers of detection were correct and that the motor or pump had failed. I tried at first tapping the motor and pump
but still nothing so I bight the bullet and firstly order a new motor at a cost of £200!
The pump and motor are awkwardly situated at the rear of the gearbox on the top. I had to remove the air box and turbo intake pipework to gain access.. even then quite difficult if your a large guy trying to squeeze into the small bonnet on these things! The motor is secured by 3 Torx screws. One of the screws acts as the earth. and one power lead (red wire) on the top).
So I managed to change the motor first to see if I had cured it. I reconnect the battery and open the drivers door hoping to hear the buz of the motor but still nothing and again no start same message.. gearbox fault!
I had a look again at what I had done checked the wiring and decided to take a separate earth wire from the body using a crocodile clip on a long screw driver to earth the top screw on the motor… UREKA! It span into life and primed the gearbox! I tried starting the engine again but still not turning over, I left my small earth wire in place and notice this time after I tried starting it up the wire on my earth had got hot and melted it’s sheathing. This prompted me to get a a thicker jumper cable to connect from the body to the gearbox… hey presto it started!! So I checked the vehicles original earth strap and noticed where it was located on the gearbox had almost totally eroded..I put in two new earth straps to be on the safe side one to gearbox one to engine.. it’s worked perfectly since!
So it was the EARTH STRAP all along not the gearbox pump or motor or battery or even my wiring… no just a simple £5.00 fix..🙏
So I hope this helps someone and as a precaution to all you Ducato owners..go and check your EARTH straps it could save you so much hassle not to mention the £200 I spent on the new motor which wasn’t needed! 🙄👍

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have recently experienced a similar comfortmatic gearbox issue with my 2017 Ducato based MH.
I just wanted to post this in the hope that it will help some of you..as having trolled through various forums looking for a solution to my problem, I found that most people don’t ever reveal what their problem really was or how it was resolved…🙄
Ok so a brief recap of what my symptoms were.
So I had a perfectly good working 3.0 180hp Ducato MH until one day I decided to fit an additional rear view camera so as I could have a constant view at the back. I reversed it into my barn switched off and proceeded to go and mount my rear camera. When I had completed what was a simple earth and constant power source wiring set up, I went to start the Ducato which did nothing but bleep and a red warning light appeared on the dash stating gear unavailable consult owners manual. I tried again moving the Gear stick into various positions but still the same warning message and again the engine not even attempting to turn over. It was almost as if it were stuck in drive and the inhibitor refusing to send a message to the starter motor. So immediately I’m thinking I’ve done something wrong with the wiring so as a precaution went and undone the wiring I had added but still the same non starting and red gearbox message. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.. still no joy.

So I’m googling around to see if anyone has had a similar issue and came across one thread about the comfortmatic pump motor packing up as it is supposed to prime the gearbox with fluid when the drivers door is opened. I tried opening the door and couldn’t hear the motor spinning up the pump so I’m convinced this must be my issue. I managed to get hold of a diagnostic machine that when I plugged in to investigate the fault brought up error code P1773 7B Hydroulic circuit flow low pressure /low oil level.
So now I’m convinced my powers of detection were correct and that the motor or pump had failed. I tried at first tapping the motor and pump
but still nothing so I bight the bullet and firstly order a new motor at a cost of £200!
The pump and motor are awkwardly situated at the rear of the gearbox on the top. I had to remove the air box and turbo intake pipework to gain access.. even then quite difficult if your a large guy trying to squeeze into the small bonnet on these things! The motor is secured by 3 Torx screws. One of the screws acts as the earth. and one power lead (red wire) on the top).
So I managed to change the motor first to see if I had cured it. I reconnect the battery and open the drivers door hoping to hear the buz of the motor but still nothing and again no start same message.. gearbox fault!
I had a look again at what I had done checked the wiring and decided to take a separate earth wire from the body using a crocodile clip on a long screw driver to earth the top screw on the motor… UREKA! It span into life and primed the gearbox! I tried starting the engine again but still not turning over, I left my small earth wire in place and notice this time after I tried starting it up the wire on my earth had got hot and melted it’s sheathing. This prompted me to get a a thicker jumper cable to connect from the body to the gearbox… hey presto it started!! So I checked the vehicles original earth strap and noticed where it was located on the gearbox had almost totally eroded..I put in two new earth straps to be on the safe side one to gearbox one to engine.. it’s worked perfectly since!
So it was the EARTH STRAP all along not the gearbox pump or motor or battery or even my wiring… no just a simple £5.00 fix..🙏
So I hope this helps someone and as a precaution to all you Ducato owners..go and check your EARTH straps it could save you so much hassle not to mention the £200 I spent on the new motor which wasn’t needed! 🙄👍
Good news, I think your opening the drivers door to start the pump is a red herrin g. A lot of A Class vans don't t have a drivers door. I rarely use the drivers door on my A Class.

Sep 26, 2022
London, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Amala734
Exp
30 years
Hi everybody, help please!

I have an odd gearbox issue on my 2019 Roller Team Pegaso 590 built on a Fiat Ducato 2.3L 6 speed auto chassis (11,000 miles).
I picked it up from the Midlands 10 days ago and drove to Portsmouth in heavy traffic (M1, M25, A3 on a Friday afternoon...). No problem until I pulled into a garage near home to refuel. I had to wait a couple of minutes to get onto a pump, was sat in Auto1, when the engine started to labour and shake the vehicle. The gearlever was non-responsive, couldn't get into neutral so I stopped the engine. This cleared the fault. It has happened a couple of times since while maneuvering the vehicle on my drive and again on a camping pitch. Stopping the vehicle clears the problem. I've had the diagnostics checked and there are no fault codes.
Has anybody come across this issue? Can you advise, please?
I've just purchased one of these secondhand but yet to give it a good run, and since reading peoples different issues and how the gearbox actually works, it's the same 6 spd box as in my old van but computerized on how and when to change gear so my opinion is if all turned off for a minute or so i would think you would be rebooting and most issues solved. I'll keep in touch and let you know how I get on. Been a trucker 46 year Manual and Auto. 🤞🤞

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back