LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I was under the impression that the 'Comfortmatic' gearbox was in fact an auto clutch and not an auto gearbox.... hence, better fuel consumption...(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was under the impression that the 'Comfortmatic' gearbox was in fact an auto clutch and not an auto gearbox.... hence, better fuel consumption...(y)
Sort of but not quite. Not only is the clutch automatic, but so is the change of gears, unless you put it into manual. Hence my point about "proper" and "semi" automatic in my previous post #29

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have robotised gearboxes on both the car and the van. Wonderful bit of kit :)

The only (minor) downside is the lack of very fine control putting it up on leveling blocks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We have robotised gearboxes on both the car and the van. Wonderful bit of kit :)

The only (minor) downside is the lack of very fine control putting it up on leveling blocks.
So can you convert a manual into comfortmatic?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So can you convert a manual into comfortmatic?

Sorry I don't know - we bought the car because it had the gearbox (ex-motobility) and the van was ordered with it. Perhaps @dave newell lvs could tell you.

The mpg in both is about the same as I would have expected from a fully manual system. Not like the older style autos which drank fuel.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It would cost a small fortune to retro fit so not a practical proposition

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
It would cost a small fortune to retro fit so not a practical proposition

Like what Techno says - to all intents and purposes it's impractical, as I understand.

The closest you'll get is installation of an automatic clutch (which is not the same as the Comfortmatic).

Here are a couple of converters:

Broken Link Removed

http://alfredbekker.com/portfolio-view/automatic-clutch-for-manual-cars/

We researched the whole subject deeply a couple of years ago and got very close to going for one on our last MH because we were so pleased with the van, except the manual gearbox.

In the event, we changed it for a new van with comfortmatic.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I once changed to a manual gearbox from an automatic on an MG Magnet, 'bout 1968. Does that count? :LOL::LOL:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Sort of but not quite. Not only is the clutch automatic, but so is the change of gears, unless you put it into manual. Hence my point about "proper" and "semi" automatic in my previous post #29

I have the Renault equivalent of the comfortmatic and it fuel consumption is slightly better than the manual,
I average 28 mpg in normal driving and for a nearly 4 tonne motor I find that very acceptable,
as had been said the only slight downside is getting her position on the levelling ramps, but easily mastered with time,

nigel smith

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
leicester
Funster No
MH
auto trail imala 730
Exp
june 2016
I was apprehensive but have got used to it now .It is not a lot different from my Volvo but you have to remember it is 3500 ton so it does not fly of in first and second but get ii in third and it pulls lovely we went for the 150 bhp engine which I am really pleased with the extra money when you are spending all that is well worth it.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I used to drive a Foden eight wheeler with a fourteen litre Rolls Royce engine connected to a sixteen speed none synchro gearbox, "interesting" when fully loaded. :eek::LOL::LOL:
My Guys had the RR eagle engine and Leyand box, bit of a gutless setup and not very economical. Volvo and Merc followed them and a bit better but the Autos now make it too easy for them.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was apprehensive but have got used to it now .It is not a lot different from my Volvo but you have to remember it is 3500 ton so it does not fly of in first and second but get ii in third and it pulls lovely we went for the 150 bhp engine which I am really pleased with the extra money when you are spending all that is well worth it.
' Kin 'ell, is that a marine engine in a big boat?

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I'd like to see the young drivers of today with a twin splitter or a 13sp Fuller, I'm sure it would sound like a rendition of Rule Britannia. Everything is auto now, they even do their tests in an auto.
Bin there done that! Have you tried a Foden 12 speed!!! Very different

Bulleteer

Free Member
Jul 14, 2016
Dromara, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
We have a Bessacarr E442 which we picked up on 1st August. Its a comfortmatic and drives great. Its surprisingly fast and smooth. It only gets its knickers in a twist between first and second, but once you are used to this, its not an issue. Kick down is good and you can also change manually, like a tiptronic in a car. I wouldnt be arsed with a manual MoHo!

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Early days for the Comfortmatic gearbox, a week and 970 miles. But I wouldn't t want to go back to manual, even after only driving for a week . True it isn't a patch on the Volkswagen DSG system , which you just leave to get on with it. The Fiat does need to be converted to manual in certain situations,but since that just involves, flicking the gear handle and reducing the revs by going up the gears.
On another matter, I have driven an A class before but I obviously didn't encounter wind on the Western Isles when I was there. As I was heading homeward on Sunday ,when there was a gust of wind , the gearbox changed down and clicked back up against almost instantaneously. Would not have felt it , if it was manual gearbox.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back