Comfortmatic gearbox (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
I'm about to order a new motorhome and can't decide whether to go for an automatic. Can anyone who has the Comfortmatic gearbox give me their views on it, please?

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I'm about to order a new motorhome and can't decide whether to go for an automatic. Can anyone who has the Comfortmatic gearbox give me their views on it, please?
We have the 3L engine with Comformatic and cruise control, much better and a lot less stressful driving than our old 6 speed, 2.3L manual on a Fiat base. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No need to dither, get it and you won't regret it. There might be a bit of a learning curve but you will very quickly get used to it and be embarrassed you asked such a silly question! :):):)

Edit: There is one case where it wouldn't be a good idea - this is if you want to park it on a steep drive. You can reverse it up steep hills but you need confidence as you have to do quickly and not let the clutch slip.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
It's a no-brainer! The Comformatic is well worth it in my opinion. If I change MH then it will be a mandatory requirement.
Bill
P.S. I have it with the 150 engine on my 3850Kg A-T Apache

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Blimey.....have you not driven one to see if you like it?

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
Yes, I have had a test drive, of course. I'm not that daft. However, I'm interested in the views of people who have experienced it over a period of time. In answer to a previous question, the engine it comes with is the 130 (I don't think there's any choice), on a Bessacarr Hi-Style 454.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, will never buy another manual box for all the reasons above and much easier for swimbo as well.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Forum search result reveals dozens of threads on the subject. You will have to search VERY hard to find any negative feedback
Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, I have had a test drive, of course. I'm not that daft. However, I'm interested in the views of people who have experienced it over a period of time. In answer to a previous question, the engine it comes with is the 130 (I don't think there's any choice), on a Bessacarr Hi-Style 454.
I don't think the engine size matters as unlike a traditional automatic there is no power loss. It might change gear a little more often, but that would be all. My 3 litre can chug up hills at 1500 rpm and a smaller engine might need to change down, but this is no effort - it does it itself. :)

There are times, such as in hilly country, when you might want to knock it into manual but you don't have to. Also, there are occasions when manually changing up or down one gear is an advantage, for example when going down hill with no throttle and it holds a lower gear than you think it should.

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
Thanks to everyone for their replies. You're right, Andy, I should have searched previous threads before posting.:unsure:

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
I have only done a few hundred miles so far..New Tribute -[upgraded free to a 150] engine
Great to drive & does it all itself Unless YOU interupt the normal process in Auto mode. After driving Auto gearbox's for 50 yrs now they are nothing like what was around even just a few years ago....Thank goodness !
Bought untried & unseen from a Auto-Trail dealership nearly 300 miles away....Delivered to our home
However we did plenty of Research ., as you should with many many reviews obtained & taken on board etc.. So far so good (y)
Also., If you are suffering from any age related problems that might get worse over time ? THEN do go for an AUTOMATED gearbox & possibly Future proof yourself a little - Njoy:)

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
3.0 litre with comformatic works great would not have manual again,does about same mpg for info.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We have the comformatic with 3ltr engine, and love it. Cruises lovely on the motorway, and loads of torque when attacking the inclines in the Highlands.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
No need to dither, get it and you won't regret it. There might be a bit of a learning curve but you will very quickly get used to it and be embarrassed you asked such a silly question! :):):)

Edit: There is one case where it wouldn't be a good idea - this is if you want to park it on a steep drive. You can reverse it up steep hills but you need confidence as you have to do quickly and not let the clutch slip.
My drives not steep but it's certainly not flat, have to practice reversing downhill before crashing it into my house. lol.
Mickey.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks to everyone for their replies. You're right, Andy, I should have searched previous threads before posting.:unsure:
Wonder if Squeezy did get a comfortmatic gearbox on his van last year? Perhaps he could let us know, and tell us what he thinks of it now...;)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Given the OP is over a year old I suspect we may be a bit late to offer advice. However for what it is worth we have a 3 litre A class with comformatic gearbox and are very pleased with it. Much more relaxing to drive than the previous manual one we had.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
My drives not steep but it's certainly not flat, have to practice reversing downhill before crashing it into my house. :LOL:.
Mickey.
You won't have any problem with that. It's going uphill very slowly (forwards or backwards) that can be a bit difficult. On an uphill slope the clutch won't engage until you have quite a few revs on & if you let it take up drive fully, you will then be going faster than you want to. So you have to control it with the brake & you end up with more clutch slip than you would if you were doing it with a manual clutch.

It may be a deliberate policy by Fiat to protect the dual-mass flywheel. Taking up drive with high torque at very low revs is apparently the biggest killer of a DMF.

But don't let it put you off. The overall advantages outweigh any minor niggles. You do have to make slight adjustments to your driving style to work with it rather than against it, but that applies to driving any different vehicle. I would certainly have another, as would the vast majority of those who have driven more than a few miles with one.

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thecaller.Thanks for your reply. I drive a hgv horsebox with semi auto so it won't be completely new to me. I didn't get to test drive this one because it's brand new, but I have had a test drive on the same model with manual gears.

OP
OP
Squeezy
Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
In the end I opted for a manual - for no other reason than 'better the Devil you know'. I haven't regretted it - I think the Ducato gearbox is fine - though it was a close call to be honest. So, sorry but I can't offer any opinion, other than the fact that I liked it on the test drive and was very close to opting for one. And I apologise for not having rounded the thread off!

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Good to see your outcome @Squeezy , I love the Comfortmatic and wouldn't have anything else. I had to persuade the other half, but it's the one thing I held out for that he's said was the best thing we ever did. He's just bought a new car and gone for auto too. My new van will have Comfortmatic.
Nobody can say whether you're right or wrong except yourself, and you clearly enjoy your manual gearbox so here's wishing you lots of happy and safe travels with your new motorhome (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back