Comfortmatic clutch overheat Yes or No (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Somebody has just told me that they had two Fiat Comfortmatic gearboxes and both used to regularly leave them stuck at the side of the road with "clutch overheat" ,

Is this an issue? or just them?

It's for a friend not me BTW.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not heard of that before but will be interested to hear if it is a recuring problem.

Richard.
Funny I hadn't heard it and I do read most technical stuff one here, 1 guy two vans exactly the same issue made me wonder.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's them, probably trying to creep in traffic which effectively rides the clutch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I've had the 'clutch over temperature' warning twice on my last van, both times when doing very difficult slow speed manoeuvring to get on a pitch. This was on a Frankia tag axle at 5,500 kg, and I knew at the time that the clutch could be in need of replacement, and I did replace it within the next 1,500 miles or so at 40,000 miles. (I saw the clutch when it had been removed and it was worn out.)
Having said that, the issue revealed itself in the dash warning message and the smell, but it did not stop working and would not have left me stuck at the side of the road.

Reactions: GBS

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
If your box has the economy and normal button. Clutch slip can happen when pulling hard or in tight traffic. Only had it once after a long twisty climb in Spain and I left in Econ.pulled up at the top for view and we could smell clutch.still used van for 2 years no problems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We had it with our last van intially before learning how to drive it "properly"
We previously had a Merc chassis with a proper torque converter auto so we were used to being able to trickle it an inch at a time in tight situations.
As someone has already said, that is like riding the clutch and causes it to overheat. We learnt to be more "forcefull" and get on the gas quicker and with more revs.
After learning this lesson we only ever had the clutch overheating warning once and that was when having to reverse uphill through a very narrow arch with only a couple of inches to spare each side.
When i say "we" I mean Gwen as she did all the driving.
Clutch was still fine with 21k on the clock when we sold it.
It was a Burstner Elegance 3.0litre on 5 tonne chassis.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
There are a few things to avoid , multiple maneuvers is one , have had it with artic tractor units shunting , same set up of auto changing manual box .
It seems to be recognised by Fiat aftersales ?

http://aftersales.fiat.com/eLumData...7_250_DUCATO_603.95.838_EN_01_10.11_SC_CM.pdf
I think this should be compulsory reading for all users of Comfortmatic. We have 3 vehicles with 'auto boxes, Comfortmatic, torque converter and a CVT, all require slightly different approaches it just needs a little time to read and learn to get the best from them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back