TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My Safegard is just coming up for renewal. They said they wouldn’t give a Greengard for Morocco at all now. So that’s the end of them. Like someone else mentioned I don’t know if I’ll be going to Morocco or not but nice to have the option next winter. Called Comfort to change my insurance to them. They said they would cover Morocco with a Green Card but would be extra. Sounds like A LOT extra. So that’s the end of them. Going to give HertsInsurance a go. I wonder if these insurance companies realise how many Motorhome customers they are potentially going to lose on renewal dates.
Alex

Have to say @Hymerbell that I'd guess you've "missed the boat" as it were. I'm not aware of any insurance company now doing a free Green Card including Morocco to new customers - a couple are still doing it for existing policyholders but I believe that will end on policy renewal. Nobody has yet come up with a reasonable reason why - I wrote direct to Aviva and was referred straight back to Comfort who basically gave me a load of whitewash.

Comfort cost me £235 for 8 weeks, which we're now 6 weeks into; I was warned about it at policy renewal time so factored the extra cost in deciding whether to come or not. In the end I still think it's worth it, but all of us Funsters here have noticed a very significant drop in the number of Brits in Morocco so it looks like it has already had a huge influence.

However we have heard rumours that following March 29 there could be some changes as everybody from the UK may need a "Green Card" to travel anywhere in Europe, especially if there is no exit agreement. We'll see.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Hmmm, interesting to hear what’s going on on the ground. It’s a great pity. I was going to wait until after March 29th but unfortunately my insurance is due for renewal on March 21st so have to pick an insurance company now. Also I suspect there now may be an extension to Article 50 anyway and everything will be in limbo for another 3 months or longer. The reason I was so interested in Morocco apart from the fact that it sounds a fascinating country to motorhome around is that if we end up with 3 month visas in a six month period in Europe it would be a useful place to go for 3 months over winter in order to reset the clock for another 3 months in Europe. I have a Plan B as I have managed to get a 5 year multi entry visa to India which enables 6 months a year away from European winter (not in the MH of course, maybe one day :D ) I was confused about @Lenny HB comment about make sure HertsInsurance is proper Motorhome insurance. Is it not ? They are closed today Sunday so will call tomorrow.
Alex

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
On the website it definitely has a section for motorhomes in Morocco. Will be interested to know how you get on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I was confused about @Lenny HB comment about make sure HertsInsurance is proper Motorhome insurance. Is it not ?
There are a limited number of companies that do proper Motorhome insurance a lot of others will insure you on a car policy. A car policy won't cover awnings or damage to the van by them, gas leak causing a fire etc.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Right I see. They all seem to be playing one off against the other. If everyone starts paying £300 plus for Morocco Green Card they will all jump on the Motorhome Wagon. Hate to be cynical. I’ve been with Safegard for 18 Years on my Hymer but now they refuse Morocco just as I was about to start going there. Bit peeved. Awning damage (I can live with that), Gas leak blowing up MH. I suppose I’d at least go out with a bang. Don’t fancy spending £390 (which is nearly the same as full cost of yearly insurance for Europe) for 3 months insurance with Comfort for Morocco. Will see what Herts say. Give them the full Spanish (Moroccan) inquisition. Or maybe Saga.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
@Lenny HB Been following your recent trip. Very funny the meal estimates. Have been out by about 50% so far. I need to visit more restaurants. @Ali n Tim Yes me too. Will post my quotes regarding Morocco Green Card soon. I expect many know the answers already but every post helps in case the Insurance Underwriters spend their evenings reading Funster posts.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Well contacted Herts insurance and although their website states that they issue Fully comprehensive Yearly Green Card for Morocco they apparently do not. It is only 3rd party, for limited period and costs between £300 and £500. I have suggested they update their website so as not to waste peoples time. Contacted SAGA who were vague on the whole issue and didn’t seem to want to say, but after hanging on for what seemed like hours while they checked confirmed that they do issue Green Cards but again charge heavily (wouldn’t say how much) I suppose they all use the same selection of underwriters so that’s it. Might wait until after March 29th to see if things change.
Alex

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
. Contacted SAGA who were vague on the whole issue and didn’t seem to want to say, but after hanging on for what seemed like hours while they checked confirmed that they do issue Green Cards but again charge heavily (wouldn’t say how much) I suppose they all use the same selection of underwriters so that’s it. Might wait until after March 29th to see if things change.
Alex

Saga cost £25 total for our Morocco Green Card this time. Suspect it is going to go up though as the industry seems to have spotted another opportunity for adding value.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Talked to Comfort again. They will charge 50% of annual premium plus 12.5% tax plus £20 admin fee for 3 month Green Card. Have to order it 21 days before you go. They also said that although I would have paid for the annual European insurance they have agreed to issue a Grren Card for Morocco they could change their minds when I come to apply for it because the underwriter will no longer underwrite it. Back to Safegard and they have come up trumps, talked to them again and for renewals they will issue a Green Card for the whole year for free. Result ! Better get to Morocco next winter in case they change their mind again.
Alex

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Talked to Comfort again. They will charge 50% of annual premium plus 12.5% tax plus £20 admin fee for 3 month Green Card. Have to order it 21 days before you go. They also said that although I would have paid for the annual European insurance they have agreed to issue a Grren Card for Morocco they could change their minds when I come to apply for it because the underwriter will no longer underwrite it. Back to Safegard and they have come up trumps, talked to them again and for renewals they will issue a Green Card for the whole year for free. Result ! Better get to Morocco next winter in case they change their mind again.
Alex

Green card sounds good, how did the premiums compare?

Jon

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
70 quid a year more for Safegard over Comfort but considering flexibility of Greecard for Morocco & Turkey for a year up front instead of messing about having it sent to home address 21 days before and which may not even be available by then well worth it. What happens if I’m in Portugal and decide to go to Morocco. I’d have to get someone to post me out the Green Card. And like I say Comfort said they may withdraw the offer of a Greencard by then so I am paying for something that they may not honour. Plus Comforts Greencard only for 3 months and costs £300. Safegard free. No brainier.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
@Lenny HB just need a bedsheet for the E-Bike, a Claudia Schiffer look alike to go with me and I’m sorted.

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Just started to gather some facts as hoping to do Morocco this winter. I'm under the impression after reading the thread that it's better to wait untill autum and take out an addition on my yearly insurer(Saga) or just another company for a one off? I'm just about to renew my policy and right now am a little confused ( my normal state of being )
Are there any further developments, what's the latest ?

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just started to gather some facts as hoping to do Morocco this winter. I'm under the impression after reading the thread that it's better to wait untill autum and take out an addition on my yearly insurer(Saga) or just another company for a one off? I'm just about to renew my policy and right now am a little confused ( my normal state of being )
You need to discuss with insurance company's to see who will give you a free or very cheap Green Card.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

I'm still with Comfort despite them making a ridiculous charge for a Green Card for Morocco. On balance it's still the best deal for me but others may do better.

As Phil says, check with a few brokers now before you renew and then make your decision. Would be helpful to others if you came back to tell us what you found.

Lookout for a new Morocco thread around October. Until then plenty of info - the "Morocco 2016" thread is a particularly good one. Also don't forget my article in Resources - it's as up-to-date as we can get it at the moment.

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Just finalized insurance with Adrian Flux for £543 saved myself £186 by changing over to them, and they do the green card for Morocco at no extra charge, just inform them before you go. It was refreshingly straightforward.

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Regret to inform all, that I've cancelled with AF as when querying something it came out that euro breakdown was limited to only a couple of months. very,very, misleading !
Apologize to have recommended them and hope no one has also had a bad experience. ...be cautious with this company.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

How can Comfort be the best deal when they charge £250 for a Morocco Green Card? Ours with Saga was £25. and the premium for £45K A class is £300.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Safeguard will not cover Morocco any more. They changed underwriters who will not allow it. (Information received when I renewed 1st July.)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I would really like to know what information these underwriters are acting on regarding Morocco.

It'll all be to do with the current UK and US security analysis (Terrorist sub-section) on said location which in all honesty does not read well if you're an insurance security risk assessor.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just had a letter from Safeguard, inviting me to renew. Looks as though I'll have to pass on their offer, as we're finally hoping to get to Morocco this year :rolleyes:. Do I understand correctly that both Saga and Comfort offer cover for Morocco?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just had a letter from Safeguard, inviting me to renew. Looks as though I'll have to pass on their offer, as we're finally hoping to get to Morocco this year :rolleyes:. Do I understand correctly that both Saga and Comfort offer cover for Morocco?

Can only speak for Comfort but yes they do - at the moment - for a rather steep fee!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

As previously stated I got full cover from Saga for £25 for 2 months this Jan to march. Im under the impression it wouldnt have been any more to have 3 but we didnt need 3.

Jon

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
After the fiascos with AF I went back to Saga, they won't cover Morocco for breakdown or insurance, once you leave EU your cover is invalid. Reinsured with them in July, so I'd say it is their currant policy???
Very disappointed...but not for long

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
After the fiascos with AF I went back to Saga, they won't cover Morocco for breakdown or insurance, once you leave EU your cover is invalid. Reinsured with them in July, so I'd say it is their currant policy???
Very disappointed...but not for long

No one will cover it for breakdown, unless you re lucky enough to have an old ADAC policy, pretty sure they still cover it for motoring though some of the newer intake of call handlers are dangerously stupid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back