Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I have just renewed with Safeguard good price and I specifically ask them for Morocco, the answer was they would issue green card free we just had to give the dates(y)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
sorry to go off topic, but it is related and rather than start a fresh thread..

also planning a trip..

Morocco isn't covered by the EHIC scheme.. where do you guys normal buy medical insurance?
Many do not as it's only a short visit. I know of one Brit who became ill whilst in Tafroute and after seeing local doctor was told to go to Agadir for blood tests which he did and was tested very quickly and given medication for his illness. Total cost €20.00

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I was taken ill in Portugal. Went to the hospital. Did blood tests and heart scan etc full check up within 10 mins of walking in .total cost €18 .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Many do not as it's only a short visit. I know of one Brit who became ill whilst in Tafroute and after seeing local doctor was told to go to Agadir for blood tests which he did and was tested very quickly and given medication for his illness. Total cost €20.00

fair enough, but if you became ill or had an accident and needed hospital, could be very expensive..

don't think I would risk travelling in Morocco without travel health insurance.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you check the smallprint, some insurers include Morocco in Europe.

Feb 10, 2018
Funster No
I just rang Safeguard for a quote as my insurance is due for renewal (with Caravan guard at the moment). The lady asked me if there was anything that I wanted added to my Insurance that was none standard. I said I might like to go to Morocco at some point, she said they don't insure for Morocco or Turkey and ended the conversation there, didn't even bother to give me a quote without Morocco.
Seems like Morocco is becoming a no go area for the main insurance companies.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If you check the smallprint, some insurers include Morocco in Europe.

We add our health insurance to the one we get with one of our bank accounts ( nationwide) I think standard covers Morocco but only for 30 days ( an issue anyway) never seems to cost much to increase it - less than £100 ASFAIR.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Ive just renewed with Safeguard (23 November) and asked specifically for a Green Card for Morocco. The guy on the phone (Errol), at first said no, so I asked why. He told me that they were underwritten by Axa Insurance UK Plc, Highway Insurance Co Ltd and Allianz Insurance Plc. In the past, Safeguard could issue the Green Card themselves, that has now changed apparently, and the Green card has to come direct from the Insurer. Highway and Allianz have declined Green Cards for Morocco. However, he believed that Axa may possibly still provide a Green Card for Morocco. I'm still awaiting paper copies of my new documents, Errol assured me he would get back to me if he encountered any problems. Call me cynical, but does this malarky smell of Breksh1t ?????

Footnote:-
Safeguard is owned by Swinton, a UK company.
Axa is a French owned company.
Highway is owned by Liverpool Victoria.
Allianz is also UK based.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Seems like Morocco is becoming a no go area for the main insurance companies.
What is it that they know that no one else does ?
Spanish companies cover everything. There is no country out of 42 on my green card that is not covered ,including Russia & Marrueco. Only proviso is for Cyprus where the cover doesn't extend to the Turkish northern part.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We just changed from Safeguard to Comfort because of the green card problem . The insurance premium with Comfort was £150 cheaper but the green card cost £221 for nine weeks

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I renewed 3 weeks ago with safeguard no problem with the green card free for 12 months and ive done the motorcycle with LV no problem but only 4 months also free.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ive just renewed with Safeguard (23 November) and asked specifically for a Green Card for Morocco. The guy on the phone (Errol), at first said no, so I asked why. He told me that they were underwritten by Axa Insurance UK Plc, Highway Insurance Co Ltd and Allianz Insurance Plc. In the past, Safeguard could issue the Green Card themselves, that has now changed apparently, and the Green card has to come direct from the Insurer. Highway and Allianz have declined Green Cards for Morocco. However, he believed that Axa may possibly still provide a Green Card for Morocco. I'm still awaiting paper copies of my new documents, Errol assured me he would get back to me if he encountered any problems. Call me cynical, but does this malarky smell of Breksh1t ?????

Footnote:-
Safeguard is owned by Swinton, a UK company.
Axa is a French owned company.
Highway is owned by Liverpool Victoria.
Allianz is also UK based.

Actually Allianz is a massive GERMAN Insurance Company, who have recently taken over LV
https://www.insuranceage.co.uk/peop...anagement-reshuffle-ahead-of-allianz-takeover

TBF this has been going on for so long, as many of us have noticed when we look at our utilities bills.
The only B***** link I can see is that the attendant drop in the value of sterling has made buying a british company cheaper.

I'm awaiting an answer from Saga having previously enjoyed free green cards, they are not commenting until we get within 30 days from trip, hmmmmm. However on my side is that renewal is imminent so hopefully possibility to do a bit of a deal with someone.

Saga are another one that will not cover Bosnia.

Jon

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I renewed 3 weeks ago with safeguard no problem with the green card free for 12 months and ive done the motorcycle with LV no problem but only 4 months also free.

That for me is very annoying. What are they playing at. They told me clearly that from renewal ( feb 2019 in my case) that they will then no longer issue ANY green cards for Morocco and Turkey. Have you recieved the green card yet?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Any reason why there is a problem with green cards for Morocco?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That for me is very annoying. What are they playing at. They told me clearly that from renewal ( feb 2019 in my case) that they will then no longer issue ANY green cards for Morocco and Turkey. Have you recieved the green card yet?
I think to no green card rule only applies to polices from the 1 st Jan 2019, they will still issue them on existing policies.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

read this on Trip Advisor .. true or not I have no idea..

anecdotal reports from Chefchaouni associates that Moroccan insurance companies always try to avoid paying out on any claim, and Morocco being a third world country I think there may be some credibility in this advice, they know that tourists on holiday are reluctant to become embroiled in protracted claims procedures and deliberately prolong endless paperwork to this end.

this company offer green card for Morocco>>

HIC offers policies with the extended green card insurance for your vehicle, no matter what you drive, a standard model, motor-home, classic or modified vehicle in many countries that other insurance companies will not cover.

https://www.hertsinsurance.com/moto...MIkbj-9Kf13gIVB4fVCh3saAOPEAAYASAAEgJYLPD_BwE

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years

This is purely a conversation we had with a French couple last year in Portugal and not necessarily fact. According to them they were unable to winter in Africa,( Maroc and Mauritania) as their French insurers had stopped offering cover because some of the recent terrorist activity in France was committed by Moroccans.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Spoke to comfort as to why increase.
They said that this should have been the charge for a long while but they were unknowingly undercharging.

That's what they are all saying I think it's a load of Bo**ocks,1 put it up and the rest just followed because they can.
Aviva have now charged us something like £230 for 3 months,we want to go so have paid.It was £x per week for over 3.5t with a cap of £230.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only third hand, talking to someone on our recent trip they were saying the French can now get cover again for Morocco. Hopefully true, then it may relieve the pressure on Spain & Portugal a bit.

Feb 10, 2018
Funster No
Went with Comfort in the end. They were £84 cheaper and will issue a green card for Morroco if needed at £30
a week.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
So if you stay in Maroc for the full extent of a regular visitor visa (three months), that's an extra £360 on your insurance. Lot of money in my book.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
So if you stay in Maroc for the full extent of a regular visitor visa (three months), that's an extra £360 on your insurance. Lot of money in my book.

Not quite, Comfort have capped it at £230 - just done mine and for over 3500kg anything over 6 weeks to a max of 90 days is £230 (but for a few pennies). Works out at £35 p.w. plus admin fee. I got the impression they won't do over 90 days.

Still a lot of money though.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
post deleted.

Feb 10, 2018
Funster No
We would probably only go to Morocco for a few weeks or maybe not at all.
But it’s nice to have the option.

Glenn Stokes

Free Member
May 17, 2018
Funster No
Hi All
Bad news Safeguard are NOT doing a green card or insurance for Morocco after this year,
this is what they said

Good morning,
Thank you for your enquiry regarding cover for Morocco. Whilst we are currently able to offer cover under your present policy, we will no longer be able to offer cover next year as our new underwriters Highway and Axa do not cover Morocco.

Regards
Safeguard
Service Safeguard
email
service@safeguarduk.co.uk
web
www.safeguarduk.co.uk

So for 2020 I have found this insurance firm click or copy and paste the link below

https://www.hertsinsurance.com/motor-insurance-in-morocco/

From what they are saying they look good please check it out
All the best
Glenn

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sorry forgot to post it here - but Saga came up with the goods again for us at renewal. Not free as in previous trips but have given us 2 months ( what we asked for) for £25. Their premiums are also pretty good.

I had to change the scooter insurance from bennets to LV but they gave us a cheaper quote than bennets and a green card for £10.

Happy days

Jon

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
My Safegard is just coming up for renewal. They said they wouldn’t give a Greengard for Morocco at all now. So that’s the end of them. Like someone else mentioned I don’t know if I’ll be going to Morocco or not but nice to have the option next winter. Called Comfort to change my insurance to them. They said they would cover Morocco with a Green Card but would be extra. Sounds like A LOT extra. So that’s the end of them. Going to give HertsInsurance a go. I wonder if these insurance companies realise how many Motorhome customers they are potentially going to lose on renewal dates.
Alex

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back