Comfort Insurance (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2019
Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick XL
Exp
Motorhomer since 2019. Previously 10+ years caravanner.
I need to insure my upcoming new motorhome and contacted Comfort for a quotation because people on Motorhome Fun often extoll their virtues.

After spending ages accurately entering all my details on their web site, it crashed when I clicked to receive my quotation.

I then rang their number and again went through all the fine details, including that I store the MH in a gated storage site with 24 hr CCTV etc etc.
I terminated the call for a quotation when they stated that I would not be allowed to have my motorhome on my driveway for more than 48 hours and that if I did I would not be covered! How absolutely ridiculous. The'll be telling me next how long I can go on holiday in my MH instead of it being wrapped in cotton wool in my storage compound.

Insurance companies seem to be becoming more and more risk averse.
They act as if risk is a five letter word spelt: "YOURS".

Has anyone else experienced such absurd restrictions?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Personally, I don't think the 48 hour at home rule is an "absurd restriction."
An insurer can only base a quotation predicated on the risk on where the vehicle is normally stored when not in use. If you were to be normally storing on your driveway I would guess they would be in a position to provide a quotation based on there.
Would you be using the motorhome when on your driveway? If so, did you advise them of this? If so, did they refuse to quote?
Their risk on when the motorhome is in use is also factored into the quotation.
Having our motorhome out of storage at home to pack up before going on a trip the day lockdown was announced and unable to reposition to storage a quick phone call to the insurers explaining the situation resulted in "transfer" of the storage location to our home address (higher risk location as on roadway as opposed to a CaSSOA Gold location) at no additional premium or policy change fee. Was stored at home for 5 months or so.
Our insurers are Comfort and was only in our first year of cover with them. They also renewed halfway through the lockdown predicated on normal storage location rather than the "temporary" location.
Don't think they could have been more helpful \ accommodating for us.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What comfort policy says is that you can leave your van unattended for up to 48 hours away form its designated storage location if need to exceed this please contact us. You just need to tell them, or spend the odd night in it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Try AIB or NFU if you have an afternoon to spare.

LV offer good prices BUT you need to check the small print.... SADLY this applies to all policies. e.g. A class windscreen cover some offer a limited value of say £1k screen costs £3k so you end up paying £2k + excess.

Just saying is all if you don't read the small print (T&C's) don't moan when they fail to payout what you thought they should.

It's like we have a dog and have grill things you can put in the rear windows so she has ventilation if left for a short while in shade.

Some insurers say no others say ok,

Just make sure your getting what you need, cost is a secondary issue

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Comfort only have the one underwriter. Aviva are strict about who they will insure, you need the right van at the right price and live in the right area. And their policy is non negotiable. It would appear they have a narrow set of criteria. If you fit the criteria and are accepted you get a good policy. If not, they push you away with a barge pole.

Other companies, like AIB,(there are plenty of others) use numerous underwriters (including Aviva) so if you're not a fit for one underwriter, they can help with another and no need for a barge pole.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I can confirm that the 48hrs is if the van is unattended away from it's normal storage location, which in my case is my drive way.

My van went to the garage for some work to be done that ran into a third day because of a delayed spare part. All I did was to call them and tell them, took all of 2 minutes...

If you think Comfort are bad, try dealing with Hastings - a minimum of 15 mins to get through !!!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Try AIB or NFU if you have an afternoon to spare.

I've just had our renewal quote from Comfort but since I had a spare moment today I thought I would ring NFU Louth for a quote:

Comfort: £270.00 (1)

NFU: £770.00 (2)

How the heck do they achieve such a cost difference because the notes below don't even make it an apples-for-apples comparison.

Notes:
1. Quote based on a £60,000 new for old value.

2. Quote based on a £47,000 secondhand value.

OP
OP
FrankL0
Oct 25, 2019
Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick XL
Exp
Motorhomer since 2019. Previously 10+ years caravanner.
I also spent the afternoon attempting and failing to get through to AIB but talking to NFU, as suggested by RandallC. Many thanks.

The NFU lady was very pleasant and helpful but her quote was for £1000+ compared to the quote for £366 from Lifesure Insurance Brokers. I had many other quotes between these two figures..
Comfort £472, LV £593, CAMC £705.

Whats more, when phoning Lifesure an increasingly rare thing happens: You get straight through to speak to a human being! I've decide to go with Lifesure underwritten by AXA.

Is insurance brokerage and art form or a science? It's certainly hard to explain or understand the wide variance in quoted amounts to provide the same cover.

I certainly won't go anywhere near to Custom because of what, IMHO, is a ridiculous stipulation that I can't leave my MH on my driveway for more than 48 hours.

Many thanks to everyone for your insightful responses to my original post. F

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've decide to go with Lifesure underwritten by AXA.
Please to hear you're sorted with insurance however, and it may not be the same for your policy from AXA, but when our insurance was underwritten by them there was a clause in the policy that stated -
+++++ quote
Section 2 Changes to your circumstances
If you change your address or the address where your motorhome is kept overnight.

+++++ unquote
On checking with the broker they contacted the underwriter and were advised that overnight "storage" at home constituted a change that would have to be advised. From memory, the restriction was over 48 hours but not sure on that.

Or C&MC policy (Devitt broker) was also underwritten by AXA Motorhome and contained a clause as such -
+++++quote
General conditions which apply to all sections
If you change the address at which you normally keep your motorhome

+++++unquote
Devitt advised 48 hour parking at home limitation before notification would be required.

Hopefully no similar restrictions on the Lifesure option.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back