Comfort Insurance. (1 Viewer)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I always insure my van with Comfort and having just renewed once again I have been reading through the policy, it states,
Endorsement 296-Requirement for an Approved Tracking Device. We will not pay under Section 1 of the policy for loss of or damage to the vehicle by theft unless at the time of the theft an Aviva approved tracking system is fitted and in operation and any subscriptions to the system operator has been maintained.
I have a Vanbitz Growler fitted which I had considered adequate but feel that I now will have to reactivate, if I can, the Meta Trak part of it also.
So, a question to you people out there, does everyone who has Comfort as an insurer also have a Tracker fitted ?
Many thanks.
My van is an A class valued about £48,000.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're with Comfort and as part of the insurance we had to have one fitted when we bought our new Carthago last year (value £95,000).

You could ring round to see what the requirements are for other companies as our previous MHs of a similar value to yours didn't require one.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
As above, we had to have a tracker, plus cat 1 alarm fitted before Comfort and many others, would insure everything except theft for a max of 14 days after driving it out the dealers!:unsure:as it was valued over 75K to replace. :unsure:
Our van was ready to pick up Sept 1st, but we had to delay because the earliest Vanbitz could fit the Growler, Meta Tracker, and dual rear cameras, was October 4th.
It was well worth the wait though, as I feel much happier reading so many pluses for the Growler system, plus non starter as we were newbies at the time. So thanks MH FUN & Eddie "NoBitz" for a great job.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
No tracker fitted.. A class similar value to yours TUCANO

However, I'm on a full-timer policy with them...

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I always insure my van with Comfort and having just renewed once again I have been reading through the policy, it states,
Endorsement 296-Requirement for an Approved Tracking Device. We will not pay under Section 1 of the policy for loss of or damage to the vehicle by theft unless at the time of the theft an Aviva approved tracking system is fitted and in operation and any subscriptions to the system operator has been maintained.
I have a Vanbitz Growler fitted which I had considered adequate but feel that I now will have to reactivate, if I can, the Meta Trak part of it also.
So, a question to you people out there, does everyone who has Comfort as an insurer also have a Tracker fitted ?
Many thanks.
My van is an A class valued about £48,000.

Is endorsement 296 actually shown as a requirement on your Schedule of Insurance, or is it just the descriptive reference in the policy that you have found?

The policy book describes all scenarios and endorsements that can be applied to individual policies. Unless specific endorsements are stated in your Schedule, they don't apply to your specific policy.

I think the requirement for an approved tracking device was for vehicles with a value in excess of around £60K when I took out our first policy with Comfort a few years ago. Our van was just below that when we bought it, and a tracker wasn't required.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Insured a £60k van in May with Comfort - in schedule they specify an "approved vehicle security product is fitted and armed"....so not specific about tracking part.
I have Growler and Metatrak

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Comfort require a tracker or alarm for vans valid over 50k, or a tracker for vans over 75k.
As I imported my van and paid 20k less than UK prices I insured it for 74.5k to avoid having to have a tracker.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Unless endorsement 296 is listed in the schedule as a requirement then it is only part of the general policy wording. Denab is absolutely correct.

I am a retired insurance broker and also insured with Comfort who I feel are an excellent company. I have no connection to them.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Be careful with your declared values though. Comfort explained to me when I insured my van for £74,000 (which is what I paid for it) that they used list price and not the deal you got from your dealer when deciding if a tracker and an alarm were needed.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
The endorsement 296 is shown as a requirement on the schedule, l will ring them again tomorrow to confirm.
As always thanks for your input, always appreciated (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I’ve gone LV= this year and they didn’t require a tracker for ours at 0ver £80k Comfort didn’t want to know even with Strikeback and meta track non starter already fitted.😊

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I’ve gone LV= this year and they didn’t require a tracker for ours at 0ver £80k Comfort didn’t want to know even with Strikeback and meta track non starter already fitted.😊
Looks as though Comfort will lose me as a customer next year :unsure:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Looks as though Comfort will lose me as a customer next year :unsure:
I was with Safeguard due to a self import of our new van and they were the only company to come up with a quote very expensive @ over £800 and this year quoted £923 so that was the killer piss take for me LV= £412 including UK & European breakdown😊

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We're with Comfort and have to have a tracker. Luckily the previous owner had already installed one so we just took out a subscription for that service. When I contacted Comfort to check that the tracker we have is OK they replied:
We do not have a list for approved trackers, a Tracker that is Thatcham 5 or 6 approved or a VT S7 are Aviva Approved.

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
I’ve just renewed with Club Care (ccc) insurance and noticed the same endorsement on the policy so rang them to cancel as I don’t have a tracker. They looked into it and decided it was a general endorsement wording and didn’t apply to my policy. I made sure they had recorded the conversation just in case.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Just about to insure our van with Caravan Guard £121 cheaper than Comfort no tracking devices needed , van 50k +

colyboy

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Simple answer be like me with a motorhome we have had 12 years and only worth about 10 grand.Still(was) having great weekends holidays in it.Would we have a better time with a £70 grand one.answer no because I would be paranoid about damaging it,,

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
An update to those interested. I have just rang Comfort and after explaining the situation they agreed to remove the endorsement, but at a cost of £12-10p :unsure: No amount of discussion would convince them to do otherwise.
The discount for having an active tracker fitted is the princely sum of £12 :LOL:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Same endorsement - emailed, happy with Vanbitz Strikeback - didn't mention the Non Starter.
Van's declared value £50 [possibly a bit too high]

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think the Metatrack is on their list of approved trackers. That is because it is not independently monitored (or at least that applies to the version I have got. We have a Growler and Metatrack on our Hymer from new. When we moved from Safeguard to Comfort I had to get a Cat 6 monitored tracker. Mind you the fitting cost and 1st year's subscription still added up to less that the yearly saving I made by changing to Comfort.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
An update to those interested. I have just rang Comfort and after explaining the situation they agreed to remove the endorsement, but at a cost of £12-10p :unsure: No amount of discussion would convince them to do otherwise.
The discount for having an active tracker fitted is the princely sum of £12 :LOL:
Or the cost to make a policy amendment, including the time spent on "no amount of discussion", was £12-10p, which is cheap compared to many other insurers!

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don't think the Metatrack is on their list of approved trackers. That is because it is not independently monitored (or at least that applies to the version I have got. We have a Growler and Metatrack on our Hymer from new. When we moved from Safeguard to Comfort I had to get a Cat 6 monitored tracker. Mind you the fitting cost and 1st year's subscription still added up to less that the yearly saving I made by changing to Comfort.
No self-monitored trackers will be insurance approved. But other insurance approved Metatrak systems are available, pretty much built on the same hardware as the Shield system. You pay them extra for the 24/7 monitoring ;)

Ironside

Free Member
Sep 17, 2016
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano 695G
Exp
Since 2016
We have a comfort full time policy with growler and MetaTrak told them in the beginning and all seemed good.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a comfort full time policy with growler and MetaTrak told them in the beginning and all seemed good.
You get a discount for either an alarm or a tracker, not both, however sometimes you have to have a tracker which is based on the value of your MH, so you are likely getting a discount for your alarm and not the tracker.

Ironside

Free Member
Sep 17, 2016
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano 695G
Exp
Since 2016
Got a friends discount too and in reciprocation he gets a further 5% off on renewal

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I’m with Comfort and have a Growler fitted. I’ve not had anything through which states I must have a tracker fit to be insured.
On the subject of insurance approved trackers, if Meta Trak offer an insurance approved tracker, won’t vanbitz offer this as an option instead of the version they normally install?

I had a tracker fit on My old VW campervan. It was a Skytag. I think I paid £7 a month.
I sold it about 7 years ago and updated them of the new owner.
Last month, they sent me a text message advising that the battery had been disconnected. 🙄

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
On the subject of insurance approved trackers, if Meta Trak offer an insurance approved tracker, won’t vanbitz offer this as an option instead of the version they normally install?
They do. It's called Shadow VTS and can be installed at a £200 discount at the same time as the Growler alarm system, possibly because part of the Metatrack equipment install is identical.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I’m with Comfort and have a Growler fitted. I’ve not had anything through which states I must have a tracker fit to be insured.
As others have said, a Cat 5 or 6 tracker is only a requirement for higher value motorhomes with Comfort. From memory my version of the Metatrak was mainly sold and installed by Vanbitz as a remotely accessible immobiliser that could also notify your phone that the alarm had gone off or somebody had tried to start your motorhome. The fact that you can see where your motorhome is was just a useful addition. But not being independently monitored meant that is could not be Cat 5 or 6, so not accepted by Comfort.

I know that Vanbitz could fit the monitored Trackstar tracker that I installed. I asked them to do it but, unfortunately, they were too booked up and could not do it in the week or so I had to fit it before my old insurance run out.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Although no mention was made of it this year, for previous years I had to have a Tracker with Comfort, and they needed to see the renewal, purely because my Hymer exsis-i is Transit based.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back