Comfort insurance deal breaker (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That's a good point! They won't know unless you have to make a claim.
And that would be my downfall Bill, as the sophistcated entry/exit system at the storage sight electronically logs and records every vehicle movement, in and out. The insurers wouldn't hesitate to seek that information at the time of a claim.

I agree with your comment about sometimes it doesn't always do to be too honest. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all,

Based on what I read on here (and elsewhere), yesterday, I phoned Comfort and spoke to one of their managers about it. (Strangely enough, his parents have exactly the same MH as us, so he knew the subject vehicle and the insurance needs).
Comfort currently have it insured as being stored in a secure CASSOA Gold registered storage site, however, I currently have it on the driveway at home, as I am doing bits and bobs over several days. He clarified this new policy ruling which apparently came into force about ten months ago, (news to me then), as they got stung but A.N. Other policy holder.
I asked for them to give me a quote for storing it at home on the driveway instead, then Rita and I would make a decision.
Today they phoned back, and due to the postcode, the discount is the same, so no change in the premium. :
That's the good news. :Smile:
The bad news is, :Sad: that if I take it off the driveway and put it into the secure Gold storage site, for more than 36 hours, (without informing them) it's not covered!

WHAT? :whatthe: ?:whatthe: ?:whatthe: ?

They've got to be absolutely barking, as one fellow MH'er put it to me.

Regards,

Jock.

I am with Safeguard who covered my van for both on the road outside my house, and on my friend's driveway where I used to keep it when it wasn't being used much. They took lots of details about my friend & her house, and I expect they looked on Google. I no longer keep it at her house, but in a CASSOA storage, where again it is covered by Safeguard. It is only covered for the 2 noted locations (outside my house and at the storage) except when I am out and about in it. If I took it back to my friend's house I would have to re-negotiate with Safeguard. I think this is quite reasonable - if they are going to have to pay out on it they should know what kind of 'storage site' I am using.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I am with Safeguard who covered my van for both on the road outside my house, and on my friend's driveway where I used to keep it when it wasn't being used much. They took lots of details about my friend & her house, and I expect they looked on Google. I no longer keep it at her house, but in a CASSOA storage, where again it is covered by Safeguard. It is only covered for the 2 noted locations (outside my house and at the storage) except when I am out and about in it. If I took it back to my friend's house I would have to re-negotiate with Safeguard. I think this is quite reasonable - if they are going to have to pay out on it they should know what kind of 'storage site' I am using.
Hi Viennese,

I'd be happy for Comfort to consider both locations, as they already know of the storage site from previous years insurance with them. :Sad:

If they check Google maps and Street View, they'll see that we have two MHs, ie, one in storage, and one on the drive. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tbone2

Free Member
Apr 22, 2014
lancashire
Funster No
MH
westfalia
Exp
AIB details please

hi
new to here looking for motorhome as just sold camper van
have you aib contact info please::bigsmile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I looked for AIB myself after reading about them on here. I assume this is them?

Edit: Whoops, didn't click Jock's link.

Last edited:

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Something worth knowing is that a lot of insurers will not allow you to use your motorhome to travel too and from work.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Something worth knowing is that a lot of insurers will not allow you to use your motorhome to travel too and from work.

That's classed as commuting and most policies are SD&P. If you do get commuting it will probably only cover from home to a single work place address so if you re normally based in, say, York but have a meeting in Newcastle you would not be covered if you took the MH. Not sure if you then went on from Newcastle on holiday in Northumberland but I would guess not.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
That's a good point! They won't know unless you have to make a claim. If you're honest and upfront and ask the question, then you seem to become a target and "under suspicion" because you've raised awareness of a potential situation:Doh:

Sometimes it doesn't do to be too honest.......

Bill

And don't forget, insurance Co's use voice stress analysis when your talking to them on the phone esp. about making claims, so they might suss your telling porkies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back