Comfort Insurance & Commuting (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I've just emailed Comfort with this query, but due to the weekend, I'm not expecting a reply until next week and will probably get the answer quicker on here (y)

I'm due to renew my Auto-Sleeper insurance next month, but anticipating a possible change in personal circumstances by the summer, which may see me needing to use the van occasionally, to commute to and from an office.

My current policy only covers me for Social, Domestic & Pleasure use, however there is a list of specific exclusions in my policy booklet, which does not mention or exclude commuting. I won't be happy commuting unless such cover is specifically included in the wording.

Does anyone currently have 'commuting' cover with Comfort as I have a feeling they may not provide it.

Thanks.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,Ken I really think it is a question that can only be truly answered by Comfort as each policy is tailored to your individual circumstance :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Good luck getting any kind of sensible answer from either Comfort or Aviva.

If you’re unfortunate enough to have to speak to Aviva you’ll spend the first 98 hours trying to get the numpty on the other end to grasp the concept of what a “motorhome” is.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We did have while I was still working. I told them why I wanted it, i.e. Occasionally calling on a key supplier while en-route from Cornwall to home, meeting a client for a meeting at motorway services etc. and they added the cover in. It's probably three years ago and I think it cost an extra £30 or thereabouts. It wasn't documented as 'commuting', rather using the vehicle for business use. I found that speaking to them was easy, whereas I'd sent a couple of emails and recieved unhelpful replies!

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I have it on mine.

Under limitations of use it says
- use for social domestic pleasure
- use by the policyholder in connection with their business

I think it needs to be specified on your certificate.

When I originally took out a policy with comfort business use came as standard. Then I moved to a different insurer and when I came back to comfort they had changed it to no longer being standard and I had to ask for it to be included.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You’ll need to be clear if it is ‘commuting’ or whether it’s ‘business use’.

Based on what you’ve written in your post ‘commute to and from AN office’, this looks as though it’d be business use.

If you’d written “to and from MY/OUR office’, it’d be commuting.

Business use will cost more than commuting.

Ian

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Our Comfort policy has commuting included as standard, never asked for it, and frankly it would amusing to try to get our van into the narrow road where my office is! :D

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
You could always try adding / removing it from one of the comparison websites eg GoCompare

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have just renewed my policy with Comfort and the usage definition on the Certificate of Insurance is “Social domestic and pleasure purposes” so commuting is definitely excluded.

Contrary to a comment above I have always found talking to staff at Comfort is easy and they are very helpful. Certainly don’t contact Avila as they will not be in a position to help, the policy is arranged by Comfort who have all the details of your policy.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Comfort replied by email this morning with the usual efficiency I've grown accustomed to from them.

Quote "If you are in employment, you automatically get Business Class 1/Class A use on your policy".

It goes on to explain that this class is the most common and will normally cover the policy holder (and/or spouse) for travel between multiple fixed places of work, in addition to SDP.

This will be automatically upgrade once the time comes and I advise them of my status change, from retired to employed.

Thanks for sharing your own experiences.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back