Comfort Insurance breakdown cover

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by olley, Feb 3, 2018.

1. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +7,420
    Everybody probably knows this but Comfort have changed to the AA for breakdown cover.
    I phoned the RAC yesterday only to be told "your cover ran out in December" panic!! Lady says shes needs to talk to her supervisor, comes back "we can only rescue if you pay" then she says "hang on a minute I think the Comfort have changed to the AA, let me ring Comforts breakdown number" sure enough it sends her to the AA, "Would you like their number?" yes please I say.
    So a very helpful service from the RAC and after contacting the AA, an equally good service from them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 6
  2. scbunurse

scbunurse Funster

Ratings:
    +83
    ....and yet if you are already with the AA they won't extend your cover to cover motorhome - I asked them today!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +7,420
    Strange isn't it, no weight or size limit same as RAC.

4. scbunurse

scbunurse Funster

Ratings:
    +83
    AA told me they wouldn't recover me if I broke down as over 3.5 tonnes

5. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +7,420
    I am 9.25 ton 30' long, no problem, 18 ton tongue lift wrecker from Newmarket rolled up, motorway bods closed one lane of the A14 dual carriageway so he could recover me.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  6. SandJ

SandJ Funster

Ratings:
    +765
    Covered by Das provided by AA see below for limitations no mention oF weight. Also note 6 breakdown claims in a year

Vehicle
    The vehicle declared to us. Cover extends to include any caravan or trailer
    attached to the vehicle at the time of the breakdown.
    The vehicle, means the UK registered vehicle as shown on your schedule and that complies with the following speci cations: 1. a vehicle that is registered with the DVLA* (or equivalent) as either a motorhome, motor caravan, a campervan or van with side windows

*DVLA size limits are 12 metres long and 2.55 metres wide

Cover

You are covered for the assistance services in this policy for a maximum of six breakdowns in the 12-month period following the start date of this policy and in any 12-month period following renewal of the policy, if you have paid your premium.

If the service you require is not provided for under the terms of this policy, or if you have reached the maximum number of breakdowns covered in the period, we will try if you wish to arrange assistance at your expense. The terms of any such assistance are a matter for you and your supplier.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. olley

olley Funster

Ratings:
    +7,420
    Thanks for that, I wondered how many times you could call them out. 6 times in 12 months seems fairly generous. 2.55 wide? Oops.:whistle:

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. scbunurse

scbunurse Funster

Ratings:
    +83
    You can only get this cover as part of an insurance policy apparently - not as 'stand alone' breakdown cover - but as a £60 add on it seems pretty good value.

9. Rolyan

Rolyan Funster

Ratings:
    +67
    I've just taken out insurance with Comfort today. I didn't need breakdown cover as already with the RAC. The motorhome was already covered on the standard policy due to size, but by getting the code from the CCC I extended the RAC cover to have more options, with no length/weight restriction, at no charge.

I can look into this when the RAC ends next year. Does anyone know what is covered on the Comfort/AA breakdown. We currently have everything, so home start, breakdown, recovery, onward travel, 2 people, in any car.

10. Christoph

Christoph Funster

Ratings:
    +218
    I renewed with them yesterday and was told that you can only take out the breakdown cover at the time you take out the insurance cover . You can't ask for breakdown cover at a later date unless you cancel then restart your policy. I was quoted £62 on top of the policy for full UK and EU breakdown cover. Interestingly there is an increase on last year of £40 due to fitting a satellite system. That said the increase without the satellite system was only £10 more than last year.

11. Rolyan

Rolyan Funster

Ratings:
    +67
    Sorry to ask a stupid question, but does the 'full' cover, cover everything. Like so many things in life, it's not always what it appears to be. So does the Comfort AA cover home start, breakdown, recovery, onward travel for car and passengers, for 2 drivers, in any vehicle?

I appreciate that everyone's circumstances will be different, but it's always interesting to see what is covered. It's certainly not always what you think it is. I remember taking out one breakdown package with an insurer. I was sold on the idea of onward travel. But on the day it happened, they explained that what it meant was that the driver and passenger could travel home and then recover the bus fare later, but the car had to stay where it was, over 100 miles away, and we had to pay our return travel ourselves.

So I'm always a bit suspicious of insurance breakdown, whereas I'm confident I know what Im getting with the RAC, for not much more money.

12. Christoph

Christoph Funster

Ratings:
    +218
    Sorry I don’t know for sure as I didn’t take it out. I’m sure the details will be available on the website.

• Love it Love it x 1
  13. Spriddler

Spriddler Funster

Ratings:
    +2,255
    I've U.K. and European breakdown cover (max 90 days per trip) as part of my Nationwide FlexPlus current a/c for my less that 3.5tonne m/h, two motorbikes and two cars.
    Covers any vehicle in which I'm present; phone, laptop and more for (I think) £10 a month. No requirement to advise details of vehicles.
    Worth a look.

14. 19 kenny 42

19 kenny 42 Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    i found out 2years ago when my van decided on a longer stop..can i saY I WAS WITH FACTS ,you are not covered to get your van home .i do believe rac do this on a separate policy can you tell me if fun do a insurance with any one

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,247
    Think you'll find it's only 31 days max not 90. Cost is now £13 per month.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Spriddler

Spriddler Funster

Ratings:
    +2,255
    I seem to recall a letter last year advising a change in the cost but didn't take much notice of it. Even £13 a month for 5 vehicles suits me apart from the other elements of the cover. Must check - I'm a bit lax at details :rolleyes:

17. Jasz

Jasz Funster

Ratings:
    +491

18. 19 kenny 42

19 kenny 42 Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    further to my early tab about comfort,they sent me a email saying the had made a miss stake with my renewal price,and it would be £320 including 90 days breakdown cover,have cancelled ccc,has it takes about 20 min to get through and gone with comfort,

19. aztecannie

aztecannie Funster

Ratings:
    +125
    Am about to go with comfort again, just quoted me £302.90 - breakdown and legal UK and Europe.
    any recs re travel insurance....?

20. joka250

joka250 Funster

Ratings:
    +566
    For those of us with health problems I have found Caravan and Motorhome Club Red Pennant cover to be easy to arrange and for me the best price I could get. Still pricey though.