Comfort Insurance - a very happy customer (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Background:

Last year Safeguard were comparable to others who didn't include breakdown and although we had Fiat Assist recovery so didn't really need it with our insurance, it was a no-brainer at the time to stick with them to have 'double' cover seeing as it wasn't costing us anymore to do so. However when our camper insurance was due in April this year the Safeguard renewal had jumped a lot and when I queried it I was told it was due to a change to different underwriters, additionally they had also put in some restrictions which weren't there before. Consequently I looked around for an alternative and, even adding in the extra cost of breakdown (as a fair comparison) Safeguard were still way over what others were charging, so we went with Comfort in the end who were a lot cheaper.

Fast forward to October when we changed to our Carthago, there was an increase in the premium due it being a much higher value MH an a £25 admin fee which we expect due to a total change in the vehicle, making a total cost of £83.99. Then we discovered the issue with the weight, not that insurers are that interested in MH weight BUT we then decided to modify it by having semi-air fitted raising the insured value by £2,000. I'd already rung to ask them what they needed to know when we did the modification and they said they wouldn't make an admin charge and it would simply be a matter of putting in the mod details and the raised value and it would then give details of the extra premium to pay, okey-dokey, can't ask for fairer than that.

After the semi-air was fitted I spoke to them the morning we went to collect it to ensure we were fully covered before we drove it home; the lady fed the info into the computer and came back with the figure ... I have to say I wasn't expecting for one minute what she said and I had to question it as I thought I'd heard her incorrectly ... she repeated it and it turned out that I hadn't misheard her at all ... the cost?

NO CHARGE! :clap2: Nothing, not a sausage! :Grin:

I thanked her and said it was great to deal with a company who didn't charge customers for the sake of it. ?

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Similar experience here, brand new motorhome, £15k higher in value and no charge at all for the change. Comfort were cheapest by a long way and include the breakdown cover.
As the saying goes choice was ‘Simples’!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Do they offer unlimited windscreen cover and new for old replacement for vehicles written off within two years of first registration?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do they offer unlimited windscreen cover and new for old replacement for vehicles written off within two years of first registration?
Yes, windscreen if you use their recognised provider otherwise I think it's £3,000, and new for old which is why they need to know the value of the MH including any modifications/extras, ie what it would cost to replace like for like.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We had the same with Comfort, we had 5 months to go, brand new motorhome, I kept asking”are you sure it will be new for old”, he must have thought I was deaf or daft. We just got charged a £15 or £25 admin fee. It will be interesting to see what happens at the beginning of March when the renewal was due. We had made a claim for a windscreen replacement as well. I know it’s not supposed to make a difference.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Four years ago we changed from a three year old 30k Swift to one year old 65k Hymer and had no premium change at all, they even wavered the admin charge because I’d rang the week earlier asking what the extra premium would be if we were to change.
If we had gone with the 75k new Rapido it would have gone up almost double though.
Still with Comfort.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Four years ago we changed from a three year old 30k Swift to one year old 65k Hymer and had no premium change at all, they even wavered the admin charge because I’d rang the week earlier asking what the extra premium would be if we were to change.
If we had gone with the 75k new Rapido it would have gone up almost double though.
Still with Comfort.
I wonder if that's their standard policy then as I'd spoken to them about it prior to doing the change. Might be worth others doing the same if they are thinking of changing MH to avoid an admin fee.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Been with Comfort since we started , policy is with Aviva. Used to be NU. When we changed to a new MH two years ago increase value by £40k premium only increased by about £80.00
Breakdown cover has always been included although it is still under warranty and has Fiat Assist. Reason being Fiat are one company with an impossible phone system!!

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We were with Adrian Flux last year. Quite why I don't know as I told the skipper most people on here seem to think Comfort is the way to go. Anyway, they were a nightmare to deal with re additions etc and this year we are with Comfort. Cheaper too.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Comfort everytime. They are the only motorhome insurer I've stayed with for 3 years in our 35+ years of travelling.
Policy covers everything and very reasonable prices.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Some mobile operators systems won't work with 00800 numbers. I contacted customer services and they gave me an alternative number.
Fiat Assist Contact nos.JPG

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have been with Comfort since 2017. Went to them because Safeguard was too expensive; Comort was almost half the Safeguard quote. In 2018 the premium was £57 lower than 2017. In 2019 the premium was £20 higher than 2018. So overall I am still paying less than I was 2 years ago.

Windscreen cover is unlimited if you use Autoglass. £3000 limit if you use any other repairer. New for old cover for up to 3 year old motorhome.

Oct 27, 2017
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2nd time around.
We moved to Comfort in August before a Croatian trip - for the simple reason that whist reading small print of our previous insurer NFU, I noticed third party only cover for Croatia.

The NFU agent queried this but NFU underwriters would not provide Fully Comp cover.

Comfort not a problem and were incredibly pro-active to take our business. Very happy with them - particularly as European recovery is included for over 3500KG.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We moved to Comfort in August before a Croatian trip - for the simple reason that whist reading small print of our previous insurer NFU, I noticed third party only cover for Croatia.

The NFU agent queried this but NFU underwriters would not provide Fully Comp cover.

Comfort not a problem and were incredibly pro-active to take our business. Very happy with them - particularly as European recovery is included for over 3500KG.
Really, first I've heard of it, can you point me to where this is stated in the policy/docs please. On second thoughts, do you mean if you take out the recovery at extra cost it includes vehicles over 3500kg?

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
my '64 MH with comfort £234.67, my little peugeot 208 also '64 with Axa £240.36!!! so guess what next 208 renewal?

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Has anybody tried to increase their agreed mileage ? ( I may want 2,000m more )
I only got 6000 miles , I might need a bit more

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
See the attached I’ve copied from FB regarding new for old.

C52AA8C1-B801-4D7C-9AEA-323B5642CCD4.png

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I just took out insurance with comfort for our van we're collecting Friday. Great price £350 for a new, high value van and pleased with 9 months European use. I was checking the small print though and although it says new for old for 3 years it appears that is only if it stays under 15k miles so probably more like a year and a half for us...

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have been with Comfort for years. Had to make a claim a few years back which was quite expensive. My renewal went up £50 which I didn't think was bad, especially as it went down again the following year.
Their breakdown has also been useful last year when a back wheel went down a concealed cesspit in Spain. We were winched out by a large breakdown truck.(we are rear wheel drive)

Nov 14, 2009
Pagham Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis T688
Exp
The only problem with Comfort is they want silly money to insure for Morocco the only company I could find this year for good value was Saga

Oct 27, 2017
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
2nd time around.
Really, first I've heard of it, can you point me to where this is stated in the policy/docs please. On second thoughts, do you mean if you take out the recovery at extra cost it includes vehicles over 3500kg?
OK, you had me scurrying for my policy! I have M/C breakdown included which cost extra £65.00. ..but AA would not cover over 3.5 so seems a good deal to me?
Whilst looking at policy it references DVLA size limits of 12m long and 2.55 m wide.
This had me phoning Comfort who agreed is confusing but don't worry cos breakdown is vehicle / policy specific. So cover is fine.(y)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
You all seem to be getting insurance with comfort reasonably cheap where as mine although a lot cheaper than anyone else i have tried is still between £600-£700. NFU wanted over £1200 but that was only if i was a max 6.5m which i am not as MH is 8.5m. No idea how anyone can ensure with NFU when they told me on the phone they only cover MHs up to 6.5m which is ridiculous. I am happy with comfort's price based on the other quotes as they are by far the cheapest. Must be because i am so young :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You all seem to be getting insurance with comfort reasonably cheap where as mine although a lot cheaper than anyone else i have tried is still between £600-£700. NFU wanted over £1200 but that was only if i was a max 6.5m which i am not as MH is 8.5m. No idea how anyone can ensure with NFU when they told me on the phone they only cover MHs up to 6.5m which is ridiculous. I am happy with comfort's price based on the other quotes as they are by far the cheapest. Must be because i am so young :)
It also depends on your postcode. I moved from a small village to a town and it almost doubled in price.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Price of insurance will depend upon lots of factors including driver's age and driving history, value and size of motorhome, your postcode and where and how you store the motorhome.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It also depends on your postcode. I moved from a small village to a town and it almost doubled in price.
Price of insurance will depend upon lots of factors including driver's age and driving history, value and size of motorhome, your postcode and where and how you store the motorhome.
Good point, there was me thinking it was because of how young i was lol :), no accidents or points so must be location. The MH is over 2 years old now and it was old for new but not sure now as cant remember what they said when it was renewed. I have got breakdown as well as the MH is 8.5m and we tow a trailer sometimes so this is also covered. All in all its not that bad as some of the quotes were over 2k (safeguard) now thats a joke.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back