Comfort have done it again (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We had our van covered by prudential . They sent it to Tesco . Who did not send it away to Swansea . I got pulled by the police . We was almost home about halve a mile. They let me bring it home with a policeman sitting next to me. We showed them a copy of our insurance. So they said ok . I got in touch with the Pru. And they said they would sort it. It took them 3 weeks to get me a copy back to me. And then told me that my van was only covered as a car. So they was cancelling my ins and would refund my money . But I was with them for ten years . And we got it from a motorhome show.

Standard.

Regardless of what they say or claim 4-6 weeks for a new policy to be updated on the MID is not unusual. The police are used to it now.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I am no fan of Safeguard after last weeks experience. I insured the new van with them, on the 21st April I had a call from them chasing me and they said you have until the 4th May to give us the registration number (waiting on DVLA) 24th for prove of your no claims. On 27th received a refund to our bank account of a partial refund from them when I phoned them they said the policy was canceled on the 24th as you hadn't provided proof of no claims. The phone call gave the impression it was the 24th May they wanted proof by, they had canceled the policy without informing and we had been uninsured for 3 days without knowing, we did receive a letter the following day. A company I will never do business with again and I will be making a formal complaint.
Lenny, were you in possession of an insurance certificate? If so, they cannot cancel the insurance until they have the certificate back, or at least until they have demanded it back and you've responded in some way. Therefore, you were never uninsured for legal purposes, although the contractual position would be difficult.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, were you in possession of an insurance certificate? If so, they cannot cancel the insurance until they have the certificate back, or at least until they have demanded it back and you've responded in some way. Therefore, you were never uninsured for legal purposes, although the contractual position would be difficult.
They never asked for it back, I know in the past insurance companies asked for it back. When I sold the last van comfort didn't and now days most insurance certificates are just an email both our cars are and the Motorhome (Back with Comfort) but I did have one from Safeguard.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That's interesting. My car & moho insurers don't 'issue' a certificate - it's on the internet and if you want a copy you print it off yourself. When the insurance is no longer in force (eg I cancelled mine when I sold the moho, & got a refund) it stays on the site until I take it off, not them.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
The law still says that no insurance is in force until a certificate has been delivered to the insured. The legislation has been updated to show that 'delivered' can include by email or available on a website. The law still says that a certificate has to be returned but again 'returned' has a number of different methods/meanings depending on how it was delivered. Interestingly, the insured commits an offence by not returning the certificate - the act says nothing about the insurer asking for it back!

See here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...nsurance-or-security-against-thirdparty-risks - Section 147 (4).

Further down the same page is the bit (Section 148) that says an insurer cannot repudiate third party cover on the basis of policy restrictions, such as vehicle condition, overweight, etc. The insurer can, however, repudiate liability to the insured on these bases but the insured cannot commit the offence of 'no insurance'.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The law still says that no insurance is in force until a certificate has been delivered to the insured. The legislation has been updated to show that 'delivered' can include by email or available on a website. The law still says that a certificate has to be returned but again 'returned' has a number of different methods/meanings depending on how it was delivered. Interestingly, the insured commits an offence by not returning the certificate - the act says nothing about the insurer asking for it back!

See here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...nsurance-or-security-against-thirdparty-risks - Section 147 (4).

Further down the same page is the bit (Section 148) that says an insurer cannot repudiate third party cover on the basis of policy restrictions, such as vehicle condition, overweight, etc. The insurer can, however, repudiate liability to the insured on these bases but the insured cannot commit the offence of 'no insurance'.

Is that an old copy as section 144 has been increased to 25 million last time I looked ? Was 500k in 1999.
If it is still at 500k it's a bargain for anyone with multiple vehicles + interest paid on amount deposited. long as you have the spare cash.lol:LOL:

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Is that an old copy as section 144 has been increased to 25 million last time I looked ? Was 500k in 1999.
If it is still at 500k it's a bargain for anyone with multiple vehicles + interest paid on amount deposited. long as you have the spare cash.lol:LOL:
I didn't read that bit and I don't know the answer. The link is from the official govt. legislation site so it ought to be right but some updates take a long time. No changes to S 144 are listed as pending.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well, We had insurance through Comfort and the van was broken into whilst in its CASSOA secure storage compound. Aviva were first class to deal with, prompt, unstinting on the standard of restitution.

(But the premium went up five times at renewal and so I insured elsewhere at only 2and a half times the original premium. Lucky me!)

Norman

Never quite understood this big rise in premium if at all.
Most pay to protect their no claims discount yet it still shoots up.
Also I had a marker against me for using the key cover insurance. A totally stand alone insurance and still the premium went up :mad:

Trouble is they have you by the nads

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Never quite understood this big rise in premium if at all.
Most pay to protect their no claims discount yet it still shoots up.
Also I had a marker against me for using the key cover insurance. A totally stand alone insurance and still the premium went up :mad:

Trouble is they have you by the nads
Go to the Ombudsman in you have evidence of that. Raise the query with Comfort, then let them enjoy the full scrutiny of their policies following a review by the Ombudsman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back