Comfort fail again - spectacularly this time! (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Last year after 7 years claim-free with Comfort (same vehicle, same address, no claims) I changed to the CAMC (Devitt ins) for £232 as the Comfort renewal premium had steadily increased over the recent (locked down) years. E.g. from £339 in Aug 2019 to £383 in Aug 2021. Those increases were in spite of covering only about 1000 miles from each annual 5000 mile policy allowance.

Although I only use CAMC sites about 5 or 6 nights a year to attend family events I've remained a member so having received Comfort's renewal invite in Aug '21 of £383 I got a quote from the CAMC of £236. I renewed with the CAMC as it saves me more than twice the CAMC membership subscription.

I received a renewal invite this week from the CAMC of £239 (only £3 more than last year) and just out of idle interest I called Comfort who still had my original details on file and quoted me £525! which I declined. Shortly afterwards I received a 'How did we do?' phone call from Comfort to explain that since my 7 years with them had lapsed for a year I didn't now qualify for their 'Loyalty discount'. I hope I explained nicely that that was their problem, not mine, as my loyalty had resulted in substantial premium increases every year and anyway I had saved nearly £300 by renewing with the CAMC. Same vehicle, same address, no claims..................
It's a shame as on the few times I've had to call Comfort in my previous 7 years with them they have always been very efficient and helpful.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Insurance must be one of the biggest money making scams there is . They dont have to justify why there premiums increase year in year out .
How can they justify one company charging half as much as another for basically the same thing.
Rant over 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
My renewal with Comfort is coming up soon. Been with them for nearly 5 years now. Gonna be interesting what their quote is.
I have absolutely no “ loyalty “ to any particular company and will have no hesitation in changing. I chop and change every year for my car and bikes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The increases in my Comfort premiums over the past 5 years have been quite small. They give me the impression that they want to retain my business with them.

The pan-European breakdown, and replacement with a new MH (built-in GAP) cover should be taken into account for comparison purposes especially if you have a brand new MH.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The pan-European breakdown, and replacement with a new MH (built-in GAP) cover should be taken into account for comparison purposes especially if you have a brand new MH.
The new for old for 2 years is limited to 15,000 miles, a bit on the low side.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
When I moved house I moved to a higher risk area and my quote doubled. After some discussion they moved me to a different underwriter for less money.

I think how good Comfort are versus other companies can only be determined in the event of a claim. I like the piece of mind they bring to me.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Insurance must be one of the biggest money making scams there is . They dont have to justify why there premiums increase year in year out .
How can they justify one company charging half as much as another for basically the same thing.
Rant over 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
I think insuring a £60K van for £400 is a bargain - but they have calculated how often they will need to pay out.

One claim for reversing into a post (easily done:Eeek: ) could cost them £2,000
It could take them four years to start making a profit out of you again

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think insuring a £60K van for £400 is a bargain - but they have calculated how often they will need to pay out.

It would take them four years to start making a profit out of you again
They will though make a lot of money out of those who don't claim and who are the vast majority, and don't forget they mitigate their loss by charging compulsory excess fees which can be as high as five or six hundred.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
They will though make a lot of money out of those who don't claim and who are the vast majority, and don't forget they mitigate their loss by charging compulsory excess fees which can be as high as five or six hundred.
Only £200 compulsory excess with my policy with Comfort

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
£60 CHEAPER WITH LV same cover however it dose state not covered if unattended and roof lights left open .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have been with comfort for years. Current price is £412 including the breakdown service for a £75k van. That includes a 15% loading for a claim. Both claims and the couple of breakdowns needing recovery were dealt with in an exemplary fashion.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My premium with NFU has stayed pretty much the same but the excess has been sneakily increased without telling me as far as I can tell - no free lunches!

Jul 2, 2019
Rugby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2019, folding camper for many years.
My premium with Comfort only went up by £3 this year so well pleased :giggle:

OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.

It could take them four years to start making a profit out of you again
When I was chatting to my son (an ex Head of Marine Underwriting) about the relationship between the value of the item vs premiums applied vs claim costs he said that underwriters' greatest exposure is when personal injury is involved which can easily run into hundreds of thousands with not just the compensation for actual injuries but the additional experts/consultants/surveyors and legal fees, irrespective of the value of the insured item.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
The new for old for 2 years is limited to 15,000 miles, a bit on the low side.
Not for most motorhome owners. Lots seem to only do a couple of thousand miles a year :rolleyes:

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Ring them up and ask them to beat it. I do that every year. If they don't come cheaper than what I have I leave them and tell them why.

Negotiation is key. When I bought beer for pubs I rang up and asked for a price for a barrel of ale. £63. Got my mate who ran another pub for the same company down the road. £77.

If they know you haggle...

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Ring them up and ask them to beat it. I do that every year. If they don't come cheaper than what I have I leave them and tell them why.

Negotiation is key. When I bought beer for pubs I rang up and asked for a price for a barrel of ale. £63. Got my mate who ran another pub for the same company down the road. £77.

If they know you haggle...
I haggled they said can't beat or match it. Asked is it like for like yep,

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Used to be that if you wanted an Aviva policy you pretty much had to use comfort. IMO Aviva are one of the better underwriters, and because I won't touch Comfort; me having a policy from Aviva just wasn't going to happen.

Further, because I have to declare business use and because I tow a trailer (business use again) Insuring an expensive motorhome has always been problematic. Which is why I have been with AIB for the last few years. they work with dozens of underwriters so could always find me a deal where others couln't. This year I was pleasantly surpised at renewal to find my policy had gone down by £40 and I was now underwritten by Aviva. Result. Well done AIB (y)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I've been with LV for years, premium gone down this year, but I've also got two scooters insured with them (and the car), and they've just emailed me saying they are not insuring motorbikes / scooters anymore. I think LV morphed out of the CSMA, which was involved in lots of motor sport in it's early days, so to abandon motorbike insurance doesn't sit well with me. Has this affected others on here, where have you got your scoots insured?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I've been with LV for years, premium gone down this year, but I've also got two scooters insured with them (and the car), and they've just emailed me saying they are not insuring motorbikes / scooters anymore. I think LV morphed out of the CSMA, which was involved in lots of motor sport in it's early days, so to abandon motorbike insurance doesn't sit well with me. Has this affected others on here, where have you got your scoots insured?
Could be wrong but think LV was around long before motorsport, it has absorbed a number of companies including Fizzel they where based on Southampton Row London but then moved to Bournemouth. They were a friendly society which meant no shareholders all policy holder had a 'stake' I believe they have recently been absorbed buy a bigger organisation. Another UK institution to bite the dust

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
I've switched this year after two years with Adrian Flux, slightly higher premium, but we were new to motorhoming and at the time they were the cheapest. So now we've lumped our two cars and the van together with Admiral on a multicar insurance, I like the flexibility of having more than one owner (all family), different policy holders, various named drivers and the whole lot just £457, including legal cover and protected NCB. It all renews at the same time, so if I pay the lot, any child owners can just pay me back - and surprisingly that actually happened quite quickly this year! :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back