Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Hi,
I am due to renew Comfort Moho insurance and am just out of Fiat warranty cover. Have been offered Comfort breakdown for £65 but reading policy it looks a lot sparser than RAC policy (admittedly much dearer). Policy says vehicle must be suitable for standard recovery trailer etc. It’s unclear if 4.5T would fit on “standard” trailer. No mention of assistance if stuck on road verges/ sand etc. No mention of repatriation if irreparable abroad in reasonable time scale. Anyone got any experience of these situations while under this policy (Comforts)
ta
tk

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi,
I am due to renew Comfort Moho insurance and am just out of Fiat warranty cover. Have been offered Comfort breakdown for £65 but reading policy it looks a lot sparser than RAC policy (admittedly much dearer). Policy says vehicle must be suitable for standard recovery trailer etc. It’s unclear if 4.5T would fit on “standard” trailer. No mention of assistance if stuck on road verges/ sand etc. No mention of repatriation if irreparable abroad in reasonable time scale. Anyone got any experience of these situations while under this policy (Comforts)
ta
tk
No I haven’t but it’s a very good question. I don’t t recall reading any bad press about it.

Reactions: tkk
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have twice used the Comfort breakdown policy. On both occassions it was arguable whether they were really breakdowns. One was where I knocked off a large bit of plastic trim with rear lights in on a narrow bridge in France, and the other was when I discovered an unexpected cesspit in Spain with a rear wheel, requiring towing out.
Both times all sorted without hassle or cost, though I am sure the actual breakdown cover was through the RAC though bought as a fairly inexpensive add on to the Comfort policy. My MH is 7.6m and 4T.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We use Comfort.
It's now done through the AA. I believe they have a limit of 5k for recovery back to the UK.

Reactions: tkk
OP
OP
tkk

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Thanks all, Sounds a bit better

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Might be worth looking at Green Flag as well.
Just a thought.

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
3.5T MH and two cars all covered using the Nationwide Flexplus account included policy. Joint account so it covers all our cars.. £156/year (£13/month) and also includes family worldwide travel insurance, mobile phone insurance, and no transaction charges for overseas use (Debit Card) from Nationwide.

Have used their services in France and the UK with no problems when towing a caravan.

From the exclusions. the maximum dimensions for a MH covered on the policy is: Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi,
ta
tk
Must admit we use Comfort and are in the same situation as you and I hadn’t noticed the bit about repatriation. It does say they would tow you to a garage or home depending on which was closer but it doesn’t say what happens if the van can’t then be repaired. We used them on our previous van as well. I am phoning today as I think they ought to reduce my quote a bit as there’s no way we will do 8000 miles this year. I doubt it will be much as I know when we increased it on the previous van from 6000 to 8000 it went up by about £20.

Since our FiatAssist ran out we’ve been relying on our bank account but that’s only for UK, not that we’ve been further than the garage to fill the tank with fuel mind you!

Bounty Hunter

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1984
July 2020 the turbo failed on our motorhome 30 miles south of Aberdeen at 12.30pm on a Friday afternoon.
1.00am Saturday we were dropped off at our local repairer in Wigan.
Insurer Comfort
Van 8.8m long 3.6m high weight 6 Tonnes

Faultless

John

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Our Lloyds account only covers up to 3.5t.
That covers us fortunately. We don’t normally just rely on it as we don’t normally have this long gap not going to Europe but the FiatAssist ran out in October and our insurance renewal isn’t due until March. The Lloyds one is very good and we’ve had to use it in anger on cars and it’s been easy in the past but had to use the homestart recently and it’s no longer as easy, they text you a link (there is a speaking option, but this doesn’t work) , you click on the link which takes you to google maps and its supposed to load your location. We tried and tried many times on Nick’s android and my iphone. Eventually after about 20 mins it loaded( this is how we know the first speaking option didn’t work!

We could then clearly see our location on our long drive, a message came up saying we were in a dangerous location and more info was required and this gave us another number to try. This did work and took us through and we gave our details and the nice AA man arrived in about half an hour.

It made us think that would have been a nightmare at the side of the road.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have just phoned Comfort to renew ours and add the Breakdown so asked about repatriation and Elaine says that yes they do, they look at what will be the most cost effective option if it’s not going to be straightforward. I feel reassured now.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I also asked about reducing from 8000 to 6000 and I have saved £12 , not sure it was worth the bother.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Go up from 6000 to 8000 it's an extra £20, come back down to 6000 only £12 less that's what we found.
Insurance companies really are a mystery! Ours all in came to £364. Just for fun I did phone round as you do. Safeguard was £549!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Last time I checked Safeguard £600, Comfort £430.

Why didn't I just listen to the Oracle?

I have just wasted 30 minutes of my life getting a quote from Safeguard - Quoted £627.15 with £150 excess
Their 'cheaper' Scenic Cover price was £410.49 with a £400 excess.

Renewal quote from Comfort is £355.62 with £150 excess.

Anyway it confirmed what I first thought and that Comfort do still seem the best. ---- Best find my wife's credit card

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Just looking at ours, Comfort are £749, caravan club £434, but we also need breakdown which is only £65 with comfort (just for a laugh red pennat was £428 for breakdown alone) we are 5t and 8.55m, any suggestions for breakdown cover?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just looking at ours, Comfort are £749, caravan club £434, but we also need breakdown which is only £65 with comfort (just for a laugh red pennat was £428 for breakdown alone) we are 5t and 8.55m, any suggestions for breakdown cover?
Comfort can be expensive on the not so popular vans, for breakdown a Nationwide bank account would cost £156 a year, you get travel insurance as well but have to pay a bit extra if over 70.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Comfort can be expensive on the not so popular vans, for breakdown a Nationwide bank account would cost £156 a year, you get travel insurance as well but have to pay a bit extra if over 70.
But will it cover 5t and 8.55m?

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I am with comfort I have 9 m RS, had a flat engine battery, the AA sent a rather large "Crouch" breakdown truck in no time, the AA send the right truck out if you tell the AA what you need, Crouch have huge number of trucks and can take anything, they take the lorries off the Motorways when needed

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Breakdown cover is included in our price with Comfort. Tried to use them a few yrs ago in France and was told we only had U.K. breakdown cover and U.K. system was down. As soon as we returned to Dover I rang them, yes it was a mistake, submitted a receipt for repair at £125 which they promptly paid and extra £75 as a goodwill gesture. 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back