DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There's a new comet in the night sky which is now apparently visible to the naked eye. It isn't huge, it isn't hugely bright either. It is also very low on the northern horizon but will climb a little higher over the next week or so. I'm not certain when is the best time to see it but as it is more or less directly north it shouldn't move much as the night passes so any time when it is dark should do. On 17 July it will move into Ursa Major, (the Great Bear or Plough) which most folk will be able to recognise so this may help indicate where to look.

We aren't expecting clear weather until the weekend but we will be in Cornwall then and hopefully under dark(ish) skies.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
July 23rd seems to be the optimal, or a little after that
Was getting quite excited to be able to use my star tracker with my camera for the first time, but now wondering it will be of use due to commet going in opposite direction from earths rotation...but not sure on speed so may be ok!!
hell, an excuse to give it a whirl to get used to it before the galaxy core attempt later this month as well!!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
July 23rd seems to be the optimal, or a little after that
Was getting quite excited to be able to use my star tracker with my camera for the first time, but now wondering it will be of use due to commet going in opposite direction from earths rotation...but not sure on speed so may be ok!!
hell, an excuse to give it a whirl to get used to it before the galaxy core attempt later this month as well!!
Is that a built on feature of the camera? Does it must rotate the image each shot so the stars stay in one place and don't appear as streaks? If it does it should be ideal but youay need to keep the comet in the centre of the shot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Now that would be pretty awesome!!
But alas no, it attaches to the tripod head then the camera is mounted on it.
You align it to polaris then set the timer and set your camera on long exposures or lots of shorter ones with an intervalometer, point the camera at whatever you want to capture and.....pray to gods of photon capture and then blend together in post processing...hopefully!!!

Went for a mechanical tracker rather then an electronic one

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's visible now if you have clear skies. Look almost directly north and find the Plough, which is well canted over with the handle pointing up. Find the right hand star of the cluster and trace it down towards the horizon. Here in Devon the comet is about five "fists" above the horizon. What I mean by that is with an outstretched arm and making a fist, thumb upper most, it is five fists above the horizon.

It is very feint if you don't have dark skies. Look a little away from the area and you may glimpse a streak in the sky. But to see it properly you need binoculars. It is worth the effort, its the most impressive comet I've ever seen.

And the ISS made a pass overhead at the same time. They must have good views. 😊

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Yep, got it thanks 👍🏻
It’s fainter than I hoped but there.
I’m in a town so light pollution isn’t helping.

Reactions: DBK

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
When I took the dog out last night at about 11pm, the sky was very clear and I could see ursa major, so had the thought to look for the comet. I could just about see it unaided, but with the binoculars it was excellent!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Managed to get a reasonable photograph of the comet last night. Conditions were not perfect, it was only about 11 and there was still a bit of glow in the sky plus this isn't exactly a dark skies area. It is supoposed to have a curving tail and if you look carefully there is just a suggestion of this I think.

CometNeowise4.png

Jupiter is in the south and very visible with the four main moons all showing. My photograph is rubbish but it does hint at what you can see. The moons are easily visible through binoculars and a few people in a million are supposed to be able to see them with the naked eye. :)

Jupiter3.png

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
My photograph is rubbish but it does hint at what you can see.
I wouldn’t of thought it was rubbish if you hadn’t told me.
I’d be pleased with that - you can see it’s a planet with four smaller satellites.

We get spoilt with NASA & observatory photos in the media but making the effort & seeing objects in the sky for yourself is worth it.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn’t of thought it was rubbish if you hadn’t told me.
I’d be pleased with that - you can see it’s a planet with four smaller satellites.

We get spoilt with NASA & observatory photos in the media but making the effort & seeing objects in the sky for yourself is worth it.
Thank you, looking at it again what I thought was a bit of camera shake (the moons are elongated) is down to the exposure I think. The exposure was only a few seconds but in that time the Earth rotated enough for them to appear as a short streak. :)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you, looking at it again what I thought was a bit of camera shake (the moons are elongated) is down to the exposure I think. The exposure was only a few seconds but in that time the Earth rotated enough for them to appear as a short streak. :)
check out this caluclator https://www.photopills.com/calculators/spotstars

Also, have a good at stacking...can get some great photos that way

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
check out this caluclator https://www.photopills.com/calculators/spotstars

Also, have a good at stacking...can get some great photos that way
That's a useful link, thank you, I've bookmarked it although with the lens and camera* I was using I need to use an exposure of about a second to avoid trailing.

I've done a bit of stacking and took some multiple exposures last night but because of the streaking I haven't done anything with them. I might have another go.

*Olympus OM-D 10 and 75-300mm zoom which is the equivalent of 150-600mm on a normal 35mm camera.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
And a stacking one from the other night as well, not sure of what i think its the milky way going through cygnus - it just happened to be above me at the end of a shoot and thought id give it a crack

15 image stack, with lightroom and photoshop and some edits as recommended on youtube.

20200716-IMG_2038-Edit.png

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
You've got nice dark skies. :)
yeah, fortunately were right on the edge of the black mountains dark sky area
downside is i want to get some milky way core photos over the next few weeks but from me that is Newport and Bristol light pollution territory!!
but, ive got myself a tracker now so should be able to do some long exposure stacks

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I like stacking, this is with my gopro on a 2 hour set 30sec each exposure, but obviously, not of the comet

nice, ive been meaning to have a go at that myself...thanks for the push :)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
That's a useful link, thank you, I've bookmarked it although with the lens and camera* I was using I need to use an exposure of about a second to avoid trailing.

I've done a bit of stacking and took some multiple exposures last night but because of the streaking I haven't done anything with them. I might have another go.

*Olympus OM-D 10 and 75-300mm zoom which is the equivalent of 150-600mm on a normal 35mm camera.
ive got the omd em10mk2, didnt get on well with it for astro work. so have a canon 80d now as well which im liking a lot especially its low light capabilities and near isoless sensor
But now ive got a tracker im going to have another crack at it :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
ive got the omd em10mk2, didnt get on well with it for astro work. so have a canon 80d now as well which im liking a lot especially its low light capabilities and near isoless sensor
But now ive got a tracker im going to have another crack at it :)
Yes, I agree the OM-D sensor isn't very good at night.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Rub it in why don't you! Been cloudy here past week and guess what? Cloudy again! Was clear about 3.40am last night but sunrise was looming.:oops2:

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks DBK for helping us identify the comet last night. Knowing exactly where to look enabled us to find it with our binoculars. Not as spectacular as these photos but glad we saw it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back