Come on, own up..... (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Perhaps I should expand on the above flippant answer.

Yes I do have a generator. It sits in my garage from year to year awaiting that hard winter of power cuts that, fortunately, never seem to come.
I have been known to load it into the MoHo garage and cart it around for several weeks then put it back in the garage at home, unused.
However, we do have a decent array of solar, plus gell batteries and we tend to move around a lot so the genny isn't required.

Without solar or for someone who wants to wild camp and not move often a good genny could be invaluable.

Horses for courses.

Richard.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have a 2000w Honda that's absolutely fantastic. I have owned it for 6 years and it has worked faultlessly every time I have used it.

I must tell you though that in those 6 years it would have not used a gallon of fuel while powering the motorhome.
200w of solar, 360ah of batteries and an inverter are usually more than sufficient to keep us off grid for 4 or 5 days at a time.
Taking the generator means it being heavy and having to set it up outside. Also occasionally it will smell of petrol and when not needed it's in the way.
No I wouldn't want to sell it but knowing what I now do, I wouldn't have bought it.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
All good replies....

I'm thinking that when I'm at aires or on the wild side for a few days and the weather is not working the 100w solar...

Also running it for a few hours in the day is a lot less then 5 euros leccie a night on a site....

I wonder....?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I bought a Hyundai 2000sei generator in July this year as I have been diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea, and haveto sleep with a cpap breathing machine so that I don't stop breathing in my sleep. I have 210 amp hour leisure batteries, 90 watt of solar and after 3 days at the Malvern show I needed to run the generator to charge the batteries up.

John.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
No ... you don't need one.

Yes ... I have got a Honda EU10i with LPG conversion so no smelly, dangerous petrol to carry.
It's a brilliant little machine for emergency use but we no longer bother to carry it as never needed it!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
All good replies....

I'm thinking that when I'm at aires or on the wild side for a few days and the weather is not working the 100w solar...

Also running it for a few hours in the day is a lot less then 5 euros leccie a night on a site....

I wonder....?
That brings up an interesting question ... would you be ALLOWED to use it on a campsite in the first place???

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
That brings up an interesting question ... would you be ALLOWED to use it on a campsite in the first place???

Yes, it does... another interesting question is if you need it for a disabled piece of equipment..... Are you obliged to pay for the site leccy...?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
if in real need run your MH engine, presuming your alternator charges the leisure batteries why bother with a generator when you effectively have one permanently on board for emergencies (y)
Cause my Honda is quieter than your engine lol..
I'm back... but I did have a lie down as you suggested in another thread..:xgrin:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I am pleased you asked because I am thinking the same. Maybe I need one as am not near a hook up over Winter.
I know people don't like others using them but if you need one, then you need one!

You shouldn't need a generator Joy......... everything you need works off batteries.............;):lips:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a generator and I use it often.

The classic Hymer 660S doesn't have an oven.

I have a very well priced, small, 750 watt electric oven which I use to cook pies and warm croissants and grill various bits of dead animals.

I run my genny to operate the oven.

The boss of the place where I spend a lot of my time these days doesn't mind me running it at all.... nor do the neighbours.

They are quite a long way away.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have a honda eu20i that i used to rely on to keep my disability equipment charged. the last few year with looking after elderly family members, we have frequented sites more, with only the odd few days off grid so genny not needed. will be back to basic facility THSs next year so will service it and put back in use. till then it sits in the shed waiting the threatened power cuts

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yes we have one didn't buy it though it's built into the chassis and controlled from in the cab.
Yes we do use it occasionally especially when skiing or extended wildcamping.
Do you need one only you can answer that, very presumptuous of others to make statements that you don't.
Would I sell it? no
Would I buy one? no
But it's nice to have and is used.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I bough my Honda 1.0i when I bought my last boat. Of course when crossing the channel or lying at anchor EHU is not always available (he he), well not without a bleddy long lead anyhow. Aboard the boat it proved invaluable. I've had it in both my Campers since and I don't think I've started it more than once in the last five years and that was some poor beggar down at the Yeovilton Air show who had no power.

I still carry it though, bound to come in handy some-when.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have two generators. One lives at home as we get frequent power cuts. She is a big beast and runs fridge freezer, central heating pump, a few lights etc. The reason being we need medical equipment overnight and without Big Jenny (I know corny) we would need evacuation if we had a long period without power. This would not be ideal in a snowy winter.

We also have a small generator that has come with us in the motorhome now and again and has been used a couple of times in the last year. If we were away in the winter with bad weather forecast we would take it but it is really a stand-by spare for Big Jenny.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thee questions, three answers:

Yes, I have one.

Use has been minimal but it has been used both away in the motorhome (once loaned to a scooter owner at the P'boro Show) and at home.

Do you need one? Not until you need it.

You'll hear a lot of noise, bluster and indignation from many about generators. Some are wise enough to recognise the difference between hating generators (irrational, in my view) and inconsiderate use of generators.

I hope that this helps.

Ian

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Ours had 13 hours on the clock when we brought the van 7 years ago. Just reached 20 hours this last trip. It is noisy so wouldn't use it on a site and probably not an aire unless others where doing so.

Spent a very cold night in a train station carpark in Austria early in November and did get up at 2am and turn the genny on then for about 3 hours just to give the batteries a boost and run the electric heater for a while as the gas furnace had been running pretty much constant since we parked up at 4pm.

We like others have said use solar with accompanied batteries which covers most of the power we need but its handy that the genny is there if we need it. Its a 3.6Kw and running at full power (would have to have everything on to do that) it uses around 2ltrs per hour.

Shawn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back