Combining refillable and exchange LPG cylinders (1 Viewer)

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I've previously had one refillable LPG cylinder and one exchangeable cylinder in my mh and swopping the pigtail between regulator and cylinder was a chore whenever one was empty.

I'm about to get the same set up for my new mh and want to minimise the fuss of swopping between the two cylinders.

Is there a way of connecting both cylinders in such a way that I don't have to disconnect the refillable cylinder every time it runs out?

I was thinking of putting this T piece onto the regulator. Is there any reason it would not work or should not be done?

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20211221-125548_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Yes that is the sort of setup I have on my van. I do not know if it is exactly the same, and I cannot check as the van is not kept here, but I have a 11kilo Gaslow bottle and 6 kilo Calor bottle as a backup. When, or if, the Gaslow bottle runs out, I can open up the tap on the Calor bottle (the not had to do it yet).

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
When the exchange cylinder is out of van for replacement you will have to turn the refillable type cylinder off, otherwise it will flow through the tee towards the missing exchange type cylinder and to atmosphere.

If you always turn refillable cylinder off while replacing the exchange then ok.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Lucky - yes there is a way. I’m not at all technical and have the same set up as you have described but it was installed for me by a fellow Funster. I do believe I have a T piece and as a consequence all I do is switch the gas supply on/off to each bottle as necessary. I certainly don’t have to do anything with the pigtail.
Originally I had planned to fit a second refillable bottle but have decided against it preferring not to put all my eggs in one basket!

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Fit a changeover regulator & connect with the correct tail for each bottle.
Lenny HB , that seems logical but also a much more expensive solution as I already possess a regulator. Is my manual approach unwise if I remember to close all valves before undoing the exchange cylinder's pigtail?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m lucky in that my van is old , without a fixed regulator so I have a Y piece in the hose and then have a regulator on each bottle and just turn on the bottle I want to use.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny HB , that seems logical but also a much more expensive solution as I already possess a regulator. Is my manual approach unwise if I remember to close all valves before undoing the exchange cylinder's pigtail?
Yes but so much easier in use.
I’m lucky in that my van is old , without a fixed regulator so I have a Y piece in the hose and then have a regulator on each bottle and just turn on the bottle I want to use.
Had that on our first Hymer, much prefer the auto changeover.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Lucky - yes there is a way. I’m not at all technical and have the same set up as you have described but it was installed for me by a fellow Funster. I do believe I have a T piece and as a consequence all I do is switch the gas supply on/off to each bottle as necessary. I certainly don’t have to do anything with the pigtail.
Originally I had planned to fit a second refillable bottle but have decided against it preferring not to put all my eggs in one basket!
& I've got the same set up, fitted by the same funster haven't I.:giggle:

Just seems to give the most flexibility.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got one of these fitted. About £10.
Takes less than 30 secs to change over from our Safefill refillable to our Calor Lite.
Turn off empty, disconnect (no tools required), attach to full and turn on full.
1640097864864.png

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I installed one of each and don't have to change anything when swapping between cylinders - I just turn off one and open the other.
View attachment 568028

Got the same setup with the Gaslow changeover pressure gauge. You can use the pressure gauge to check for leaks in the system.

I noticed a drop in pressure when using the refillable Gaslow (after numerous refills in mainland Europe where they use a mix of propane/butane). Refilled in UK where 100% propane is used and normal pressure was resumed.

OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Yes but so much easier in use.
Well, decision made. I took the advice of Lenny HB , plumped for the lazy boy option and now have the Truma DuoControl CS crashproof regulator. When compared to the cost of a tank of diesel it seemed relatively good value.

Thanks to all for your input and to Autogas in Thirsk who supplied and fitted my new system this afternoon - yes, that quickly. A small Funster discount added to their great service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lucky

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
We've got one of these fitted. About £10.
Takes less than 30 secs to change over from our Safefill refillable to our Calor Lite.
Turn off empty, disconnect (no tools required), attach to full and turn on full.
View attachment 568027
I love these fittings but I think they're only suitable for UK exchangeable bottles and I am mostly in Europe.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I have a 2003 MH with 37mb regulator and 21.h LH thread connection and if I want to change from Gaslow to refillable I just uscrew the connector and refit to other cylinder.

Only had to do it once in 12 years, so not a hassle.

Geoff

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I have a 2003 MH with 37mb regulator and 21.h LH thread connection and if I want to change from Gaslow to refillable I just uscrew the connector and refit to other cylinder.

Only had to do it once in 12 years, so not a hassle.

Geoff

Don't wish to be pedantic but think you mean "Gaslow to exchange".

I just use the "exchange" bottle as an emergency reserve, like you, and very rarely need to use it. Although, I do favour the Gaslow manual changeover system (with pressure gauge) for leak detection, as mentioned in post #12.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Don't wish to be pedantic but think you mean "Gaslow to exchange".

I just use the "exchange" bottle as an emergency reserve, like you, and very rarely need to use it. Although, I do favour the Gaslow manual changeover system (with pressure gauge) for leak detection, as mentioned in post #12.

Quite correct, my fault.

Too late to edit now.

Sorry.

Geoff

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes that is the sort of setup I have on my van. I do not know if it is exactly the same, and I cannot check as the van is not kept here, but I have a 11kilo Gaslow bottle and 6 kilo Calor bottle as a backup. When, or if, the Gaslow bottle runs out, I can open up the tap on the Calor bottle (the not had to do it yet).
Almost identical for us too - 11kg Gas-it refillable and 6kg Calor lite as backup, which has so far remained unused.

System works well.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Likewise.
Didn't bother with the auto swap. There was a danger that it would auto-swap, I wouldn't know, then I'd run out in both cylinders.
Just turn off the Gaslow and turn on the Calor. Swap done. Hopefully it will never need to be done, or maybe once in a blue moon when its hissing down in the middle of the night. :xsmile:
20211211_104106.jpg

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Well, decision made. I took the advice of Lenny HB , plumped for the lazy boy option and now have the Truma DuoControl CS crashproof regulator. When compared to the cost of a tank of diesel it seemed relatively good value.

Thanks to all for your input and to Autogas in Thirsk who supplied and fitted my new system this afternoon - yes, that quickly. A small Funster discount added to their great service.
Glad we could help , you were the last customer of the year but we have someone with a gas problem at the workshop now that hopefully we will sort in the morning, couldn’t leave them without gas over Christmas 👍
I can’t help myself answering the phone even when we’re closed 😂

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Customer drove all the way from Bristol !
All sorted this morning, it was the fill stop valve not working do a fairly easy replacement valve as luckily he was almost empty .
Stayed open all morning in the end as apparently there was a shortage of LPG and a regular customer drove an hour to us for a fill 👍
Definitely closed now and won’t be back until the new year 😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back