Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect you choose the Minxy interpretations when commenting,
we as testers ran all those scenarios past the rule makers asking silly things like what about a jack and a wheel brace we were under no illusions they were living vans if and i repeat it a different way if by removing said items STOPS you using your vehicle as a Motorhome then it is allowed to be carried your bicycle does NOT fit that criteria
The best outcome we got was "Well its not your problem the presenter has to declare what class it is.
So the onus is now firmly on the owner whereas when first muted it was a serious sack able offence to test it in the wrong class
And just for for information the regs "say adapted to carry" it says nothing about whos bike it is or why its carried
Geo
Of course it was my interpretations, unfortunately the dogs don't ride bikes and can't type with their paws as they press too many keys at the same time. :giggle:

I was applying the 'common sense' approach which I would imagine most testers do otherwise all we could leave in is the bare essentials so no wine, beer etc, no techy kit, no toiletries (they don't stop you utilising the vehicle), etc ... I have a salad spinner ... would that be an essential item or not?

Unless owners are informed that they MUST remove everything that is not essential in order to get a Class 4 test then I suspect most, if not all, would fail if the 'rules' were applied to the letter without 'sensible' interpretation/implementation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Geo - do you know about this and what the exact wording is?
When I took my motorhome for an mot in November I was told that all motor homes with a garage are class 7. I queried it and he showed me a VOSA document to confirm it.
It was a notification sheet in a file. He went on to say that consideration was being given to plating I respect of motor homes over 3500kg.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo - do you know about this and what the exact wording is?
Thought i had quoted the exact wording As an MoT scheme Administrator i would hope i had some inside knowledge
as i said the last word form VOSA DVLA was as I quoted "It aint our problem anymore "
in other words they cant agree a solution without going back to Parliament
The sheets the other tester was using were "special notices" issued during the original debate
which have now been superseded anyway by their last comment
I do recall the wording is correct re if you can use your van as a camper van as a camper van without it its not a necessity
I was being sarcastic in my first reply as i often do when i see regs quoted with an air of authority and no actual knowledge you or someone has added bits like if need for shopping etc and i can afirm they were never included in print from the DVSA. the reason is Ah! well i cant ride a bike so i will carry a small car in my RV....
Hence simple unambiguous text if "ADAPTED" and the bike rack example was used many many times to get across to the rules seminars that the wording was wrong , the rules unenforceable, open to interpretation,therefore unworkable, as it was was based on an EU Directive and not a .Gov ruling they had to demontrate it as being enforced so they in a word fudged it and lay the responsibility at the feet of the owner much like there happy to register a 18 Ton RV as under 7.5Ton
Look up Vosa Special notices if your in lockdown till June and pick up the tread there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thought i had quoted the exact wording As an MoT scheme Administrator i would hope i had some inside knowledge
as i said the last word form VOSA DVLA was as I quoted "It aint our problem anymore "
I was specifically querying what steve had posted, not what you said, as I had no way of knowing where his info actually came from (ie exact document) other than what he had mentioned.

So going back to what he said ... should ALL MHs with garages be class 7? I don't think they should but your interpretation would be appreciated.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Quick question, if I may.
Does a class 7 mot overrule a class 4 mot?
In other words, is a class 7 stricter than 4,and does 7 cause usage restrictions over 4, in for example, speed limits.?
If 7 is a better specification overall, and does not cause speed restrictions, why would anyone not want the better (?) test.
Thanks

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Quick question, if I may.
Does a class 7 mot overrule a class 4 mot?
In other words, is a class 7 stricter than 4,and does 7 cause usage restrictions over 4, in for example, speed limits.?
If 7 is a better specification overall, and does not cause speed restrictions, why would anyone not want the better (?) test.
Thanks
The MOT wil be based on the vehicle class on the registration certificate. I would just apply for the class that fitted my requirements and was appropriate to the vehicle and it main use. Once it's done, them everything else follows (MOT and insurance)

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
The MOT wil be based on the vehicle class on the registration certificate. I would just apply for the class that fitted my requirements and was appropriate to the vehicle and it main use. Once it's done, them everything else follows (MOT and insurance)
Understood, but I was really aiming my question towards the discussion that was developing as to whether a motorhome with a garage was a class 4 or 7 mot, as it appeared that this seemed to be an area of concern to some members.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Understood, but I was really aiming my question towards the discussion that was developing as to whether a motorhome with a garage was a class 4 or 7 mot, as it appeared that this seemed to be an area of concern to some members.
I think that this is a subjective decision and there can never be a clear distinction. I would make the application based on the main purpose of the vehicle. Sounds like class 7 to me, a vehicle that only from time to time you use as a motorhome.

Doesn't matter once the registration is accepted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back