LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Keep in touch with the news as there is talk on the BBC of Mrs M ordering TOTAL shutdown in Germany also? Good Luck!
Heard that too, plan B is to stay in France and just do the French markets (we planned on a couple anyway) and take a look around that area as we have not been before only passed through.

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
We've cancelled our German Market plans but Colmar and Arras look good. Hopefully they'll still be on.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Heard that too, plan B is to stay in France and just do the French markets (we planned on a couple anyway) and take a look around that area as we have not been before only passed through.
That’s our plan b too, although we will have to swap our hull-Rotterdam to the chunnel, and use the hull Rotterdam crossing instead of the chunnel in June when we go to croatia!

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
Let us know if you go please as I’ve got a booking for the chunnel & ambitions for cologne in early December, been watching the news attentively, be my first time in my van over the water

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
If I go plan B does anyone know what I need to do re covid for travel through Belgium (non stop) to get to Germany? Am I right in thinking I can go straight into France with just proof of vaccinations, no paperwork? My interpretation is that if I don’t stop in Belgium for more than 48hrs im good to go straight through without tests or paperwork? I’m thinking then I can enter Germany with vaccination proof only?
then on way back it’s the PLF and the two day test.
Plan A is Hull Rotterdam and an antigen test to enter Holland, and proof of vaccination, then drive straight to Germany👍
My god its an awful mess isn’t it🤷🏼‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
If I go plan B does anyone know what I need to do re covid for travel through Belgium (non stop) to get to Germany? Am I right in thinking I can go straight into France with just proof of vaccinations, no paperwork? My interpretation is that if I don’t stop in Belgium for more than 48hrs im good to go straight through without tests or paperwork? I’m thinking then I can enter Germany with vaccination proof only?
Plan A is Hull Rotterdam and an antigen test to enter Holland, and proof of vaccination, then drive straight to Germany👍
It is a mess but, if you plan carefully, is worth the effort.

Unless requirements have changed you needed a declaration sur l’honneur to enter France. A very simple doc which you could download in English.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
You need to complete a PLF for Belgium (already done mine) and same for Germany which can only be done few days before. Declaration d'honor for France then the PLF and book day 2 test for UK.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
You need to complete a PLF for Belgium (already done mine) and same for Germany which can only be done few days before. Declaration d'honor for France then the PLF and book day 2 test for UK.
I thought I had all this in hand, turns out I know nothing!
just trying to sort out an antigen test for outbound travel now, anyone know a company for the best/reliable test? Been sort of scammed once, half my fault I suppose but £100 lighter for the day two tests and plf numbers for return🙄🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I thought I had all this in hand, turns out I know nothing!
just trying to sort out an antigen test for outbound travel now, anyone know a company for the best/reliable test? Been sort of scammed once, half my fault I suppose but £100 lighter for the day two tests and plf numbers for return🙄🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
You don't need test going out if double jabbed only a LFT for day 2 return. I mentioned in another thread cheapest I can find is simply test me at £12 https://www.simplytestme.co.uk/?gcl...sRcd0ccCQCXLtegezYUTwdM3xqAYTAGhoCk-sQAvD_BwE

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Let us know if you go please as I’ve got a booking for the chunnel & ambitions for cologne in early December, been watching the news attentively, be my first time in my van over the water

I'm truly sorry to have to say this BUT be patient, there HAS to be a better time in the future for you to take your FIRST trip 'over the water'?

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
we're going to Chester Xmas markets tonight.

Not as good as when we went to Vienna and others in 2019 for sure...

But at least I won't be stranded out there with the impending lockdowns. I've knocked skiing on the head again this season as I sort of knew this was going to be coming. Good job we done a couple of weeks in Portugal a few weeks back.
may i ask where you are staying in Chester

Al 👍

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
I'm truly sorry to have to say this BUT be patient, there HAS to be a better time in the future for you to take your FIRST trip 'over the water'?
Ohhhhh nooooooo!!!!
Just as well I went for the terribly expensive option on the Chunnel tho isn’t it?

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
Sadly a single bloke & don’t want my parents to bequeath me (they had to put up with me growing up, that must’ve cost them enough financially as well as heartache) what they’ve left, I’d rather they spend it on themselves but as a carer I can’t also take the chance with the lives of those I care for, so, sadly, I think I’m coming to realise that what @MichealT says is probably the best idea

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Wouldn’t be surprised if all Christmas markets in the EU are cancelled anytime soon.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Sadly a single bloke & don’t want my parents to bequeath me (they had to put up with me growing up, that must’ve cost them enough financially as well as heartache) what they’ve left, I’d rather they spend it on themselves but as a carer I can’t also take the chance with the lives of those I care for, so, sadly, I think I’m coming to realise that what @MichealT says is probably the best idea

'Yer pays yer money, and takes yer choice........Just don't blame anyone else when you disappointed because most of the venues are closed.

PS. WHEN/IF you become sick with Covid, do us all a favour and do it 'over the water', the hospitals here, over Christmas, will be full of, mostly, responsible people and overworked staff.

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
'Yer pays yer money, and takes yer choice........Just don't blame anyone else when you disappointed because most of the venues are closed.

PS. WHEN/IF you become sick with Covid, do us all a favour and do it 'over the water', the hospitals here, over Christmas, will be full of, mostly, responsible people and overworked staff.
What makes you think there is any more chance of catching it over there rather than here? Rates are high everywhere and looks like they are just catching us up, wearing a mask, keeping outside and being in our own accommodation should negate most risks same as staying here and going round the UK markets which we may end up doing if Europe closes down.

Seems sour grapes on your part and wishing those who don't agree with your point of view to get COVID-19 is not very nice is it?🤨

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Seems sour grapes on your part and wishing those who don't agree with your point of view to get COVID-19 is not very nice is it?🤨

Why would it be sour grapes on my part, I'm healthy, free and single so, in theory, there is nothing stopping ME from doing you want to do?

This is for martindevon

I was just trying to give you some advice, IF you do NOT want to take it, its up to you (as I said before, yer pays yer money and makes yer choice.)

I've bummed around Europe, and in my Merchant Navy days, the World, extensively, and believe me, IF I was sick with Covid, I would prefer to be in a Hospital where EVERYONE spoke English, as a small misunderstanding can cause a lot of complications/pain. (Perhaps you speak a number of languages, who knows?)

I've done it and I've been there SO, if you still want to go (with all the expense, paperwork, tests, etc and the chance of your destination going into lockdown and throwing you out, without access to electricity in a unknown country, (to you), at a time of year when it can be bloody wet and freezing) AND, as YOU say, you 'think' there is no more chance of you catching Covid there than here.

GO FOR IT!

I really don't care, I was just trying to give advice so that you would not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
What makes you think there is any more chance of catching it over there rather than here? Rates are high everywhere and looks like they are just catching us up, wearing a mask, keeping outside and being in our own accommodation should negate most risks same as staying here and going round the UK markets which we may end up doing if Europe closes down.

Just a perspective and not related to the comment made. sometimes people do seem to forget the rational of why the authorities believe they should close the Xmas markets. Quite a significant judgement on all fronts so not taken lightly.

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
Gentlemen & ladies, grateful for all views expressed & noted, we are all sensible people, We watch the news with interest & we all form our own opinions.
I, like many here have been triple vaccinated, I’m aware that that affords me the option to visit where within reason & localised legislation permits, I want too.
As I said in my first post, I shall continue to watch this forum & the news, see how things develop with my potential destination.
I am as I said in the fortuitous position of have bought the expensive ticket option for the Chunnel, giving me the opportunity to, if I choose, to postpone.
I’m a rare contributor to this forum, have had some terrific advice, which due to the nature of the contributors is generously given, sometimes though the confrontational nature of opinions expressed is off putting leaving me to consider why I &/or someone else commented in the first place.
I shall be more cautious in posting from now on.
I trust you all have a lovely Sunday.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Gentlemen & ladies, grateful for all views expressed & noted, we are all sensible people, We watch the news with interest & we all form our own opinions.
I, like many here have been triple vaccinated, I’m aware that that affords me the option to visit where within reason & localised legislation permits, I want too.
As I said in my first post, I shall continue to watch this forum & the news, see how things develop with my potential destination.
I am as I said in the fortuitous position of have bought the expensive ticket option for the Chunnel, giving me the opportunity to, if I choose, to postpone.
I’m a rare contributor to this forum, have had some terrific advice, which due to the nature of the contributors is generously given, sometimes though the confrontational nature of opinions expressed is off putting leaving me to consider why I &/or someone else commented in the first place.
I shall be more cautious in posting from now on.
I trust you all have a lovely Sunday.

:lipssealed:

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
I started this thread to get advice about Cologne Christmas market. So if anyone wants to go off thread, in the words of Lenny:

"Sod off and start your own thread" :smiley:

Or alternatively anyone can contibute positively on the thread topic.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Unless requirements have changed you needed a declaration sur l’honneur to enter France.
Just a useless observation but only a politician could come up with such a quaint expression when most of them lie through their teeth a lot of the time.
I wonder what percentage of the population have any honour nowadays?
Certainly the behaviour of some beggars belief. Family had booked to go to Legoland and all got Covid but went anyway, caring not a jot for their fellow visitors!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I started this thread to get advice about Cologne Christmas market. So if anyone wants to go off thread, in the words of Lenny:

"Sod off and start your own thread" :smiley:

Or alternatively anyone can contibute positively on the thread topic.
Well said

OP
OP
daveclare
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
I forgot to add.

Though the informative comments about the other markets were gratefully received. So thanks to all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back