Collinite and black streaks.. (1 Viewer)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I agree with you Bobby dazzler is never going to replace a god wax but it's a good quick fix and can be used at every wash without the effort of a proper wax, I tend to do a couple of waxes a year then use Bobby dazzler every wash, even use it on the car.
I think that sounds just about right .i have waxed my van once a year ,then after that its fenwicks shampoo and Fenwick bobby dazzler after every wash ,water beads for months after that ..mind you I did this year have @FJmike do a good wash of the van inc.the roof which I cannot do ...

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Rule 1 is basically that you should not have a go at the person making a comment that you don't agree with etc (ie don't get personal) but instead respond to the content itself, unfortunately Charlie was unhappy with some stuff and got personal a few times so got banned for a month on 29/3/16 ... he should be able to post again shortly. (y)

Rule 1 Be Nice.
This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure if your post will add to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree. We do not allow personal attacks of any kind.Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are not allowed. As is telling others to "Get a life " "Grow up" or that they or their comments are "stupid" "Crap" or "Bullshit" As soon as a discussion gets even a tiny bit personal it can go downhill fast. So don't get personal "You Would Say That" or "Only an idiot would do that" makes it personal. Don't do it, it ruins the fun atmosphere for everyone.

If someone rubs you up the wrong way then your reply should address the post, rather than the poster or their tone. DO NOT question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster; or make personal comments of ANY kind. Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Be aware that Spelling and grammar pedants are never nice, correcting other members spelling or grammar even in jest is strictly forbidden. Read more about spelling and grammar here.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/pages/terms/
thanks for clearing That up

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Generally speaking black streaks are part and parcel of owning a motor home. To reduce them to a minimum as has been said before make sure the roof is clean, then clean all door, locker and window shuts and treat all seals (Gummi pflege is best). A coat of good quality wax will always reduce black streaks and topping up with an aqua wax (that what Bobby dazzler is) will help with the general slipperyness of the surface. As I have pointed out several times car finishes are completely different to motorhomes so cannot be compared. Some vans when new can be more prone to black streaks as it takes time to wash all the crap from all the sealers etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Something in the Air as the saying goes
Not a professional valeter but many years in the Motor trade and the experience that goes with it
But this year is most definitely different washing the vans ready for the seasons start and the best I can get so far is just like the OP pics of the faded streaks
tried all the old favorites and some trade secrets but the streaks are extra stubborn this year:rolleyes:
I hope the tried and tested elbow grease works cos if it dont then what'???
Is it Acid Rain:eek: burning the gunge in good and proper?:cry:
Diesel fumes mixed in there too perhaps now that is very acidic

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Something in the Air as the saying goes
Not a professional valeter but many years in the Motor trade and the experience that goes with it
But this year is most definitely different washing the vans ready for the seasons start and the best I can get so far is just like the OP pics of the faded streaks
tried all the old favorites and some trade secrets but the streaks are extra stubborn this year:rolleyes:
I hope the tried and tested elbow grease works cos if it dont then what'???
Is it Acid Rain:eek: burning the gunge in good and proper?:cry:
Diesel fumes mixed in there too perhaps now that is very acidic

I have just got some Auto Glym caravan and motorhome cleaner, takes the black streaks off no trouble (y)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have just got some Auto Glym caravan and motorhome cleaner, takes the black streaks off no trouble (y)
If it takes off the black streaks its also taking off any protection so always wax after using on your van

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Please come back Charlie and tell us what we are doing wrong ,are we putting too much wax on

Mellow fembers. This IS NOT caused by the application of wax. Well not if its done properly !It makes no difference whether its Colinite or any other wax for that matter.

Lets dispel a myth or two..

What or where do black streaks come from ?
Its a combination of a few things. Some say its from rubbers round windows. Some say its muck from the sky. Airborne pollutants as the experts say.

Truth is its a combination of all these things and more.

Back to basics.
Will a wax stop black streaks ? No how can it ? It cant stop the muck falling or rubber shedding.

What wax can and will do is make the steaks easier to remove. The microscopic layer the wax imparts on the surface will shed the muck easier. It cannot and will not allow the muck to adhere to the surface,

What is being missed here is the surface preparation.

Take a well prepared surface, The best surface will be super smooth. We achieve that surface by either claying it or polishing it. Once super smooth the waxed surface will not allow anywhere near as much streaks to adhere,

PLEASE NOTE . Certain surfaces are alien to me. Certain surfaces on MHs and Caravans have surfaces that must be treated with extreme care. My input is only 100% valid on automotive paintwork. I am no expert on the many many surfaces used on the many many surfaces on MHs.

So why is SASrus having problems ? Well I cannot see touch or feel the surface in question but here is my opinion.

The area is either very prone to where black streaks usually appear on that particular van, So it could be inevitable,

Or. It could be the surface is rough and therefore is holding in that area

Or and here is IMO the culprit. Far to mush wax was applied. I have pointed out many times that to much Colinite is a mistake, It makes it hard to remove and does no good at all. In fact it spoils the job. It can in some circumstances actually cause muck to stick.

Colinite should never be applied thickly. It will not help. It will make it hard to remove and it will waste product.

Apply as thinly as possible and remove IMMEDIATELY !! I cannot stress this point to much ! Less is most definitely more. Wax a very small area at a time. Leaving it to cure is a complete NO NO ! ..

One tin of Colly is enough to do the equivalent of 20 PVC sized MHs. Any less and you are putting to much on.

For help with MH and/or caravan surfaces ask FJ Mike. He is your man.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Mellow fembers. This IS NOT caused by the application of wax. Well not if its done properly !It makes no difference whether its Colinite or any other wax for that matter.

Its a combination of a few things. Some say its from rubbers round windows. Some say its muck from the sky. Airborne pollutants as the experts say.

Back to basics.
Will a wax stop black streaks ? No how can it ? It cant stop the muck falling or rubber shedding.

What wax can and will do is make the steaks easier to remove. The microscopic layer the wax imparts on the surface will shed the muck easier. It cannot and will not allow the muck to adhere to the surface,

Take a well prepared surface, The best surface will be super smooth. We achieve that surface by either claying it or polishing it. Once super smooth the waxed surface will not allow anywhere near as much streaks to adhere,

PLEASE NOTE . Certain surfaces are alien to me. Certain surfaces on MHs and Caravans have surfaces that must be treated with extreme care. My input is only 100% valid on automotive paintwork. I am no expert on the many many surfaces used on the many many surfaces on MHs.

So why is SASrus having problems ? Well I cannot see touch or feel the surface in question but here is my opinion.

The area is either very prone to where black streaks usually appear on that particular van, So it could be inevitable,

Or and here is IMO the culprit. Far to mush wax was applied. I have pointed out many times that to much Colinite is a mistake, It makes it hard to remove and does no good at all. In fact it spoils the job. It can in some circumstances actually cause muck to stick.

Colinite should never be applied thickly. It will not help. It will make it hard to remove and it will waste product.

Apply as thinly as possible and remove IMMEDIATELY !! I cannot stress this point to much ! Less is most definitely more. Wax a very small area at a time. Leaving it to cure is a complete NO NO ! ..

One tin of Colly is enough to do the equivalent of 20 PVC sized MHs. Any less and you are putting to much on.

Nice to see ya back again , I've missed your wise words

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Good to see you back @Charlie .

In your absence, I have tried an experiment although failed to leave any rubber untreated so do not have a control. However, so far, I have had good results. I do not know if the result is long lasting or will lead to other issues but since I did what I did, I haven't had any black streaks where I would usually get them after the amount of rain that we've had recently. I'll post my findings when I've tested it for longer and had more rain.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner

Back to basics.

guilty as charged oh great one:cry: how do i start again ? give it a thorough wash with car shampoo and start again?:D

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
guilty as charged oh great one:cry: how do i start again ? give it a thorough wash with car shampoo and start again?:D

Use an extremely strong snow foam mix or the same in a wash solution in a bucket.

There are dedicated paint cleansers but they are expensive .. Or a light polish with something like Autoglym SRP ( Super Resin Polish)

If stripping by washing or foaming it may take a few attempts as Colly is by default a resistive wax.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back