Collinite 476s - road grime problems (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Charlie , sallylillian
Flagged you guys as I know you are fans of Collinite 476s.

I gave the van a coat of wax when it was new and as it's supposed to last 12 months at nearly a year old I gave it another coat.
Then I found I could feel road grime under the wax on the lower half of the van, so I had to polish the bottom ½ and then re-wax.

Next time I only left it 8 months same problem. Just done it again only 4 months after the last wax same problem but not quite as bad.
It appears the road grime embeds it's self into the wax and doesn't wash off when washing the van.

Starting to think I might as well just use a good quality polish like Megglars or Mothers and not bother with the wax. I was using the wax to avoid using abrasive polishes.

So what does everyone else do about the problem?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I used it a while ago for the first time, it was easy enough to put on and buff off and had no problems since, OK still get the black streaks when I wash it I use Autoglym wash and wax.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I used the collinite when it was pasted all over the forum and It didn’t last for me either....

I use mostly autoglym as I used too, it’s been around for years and tried and tested and it works for me.....

Then there still the good old T-Cut....?

Autoglym isn’t a wax it’s a polish.

Things will still stick to the wax like tar etc unfortunately it doesn’t act as a force field.

How good the wax lasts depends on what you wash your van with as well.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Autoglym isn’t a wax it’s a polish.

Things will still stick to the wax like tar etc unfortunately it doesn’t act as a force field.

How good the wax lasts depends on what you wash your van with as well.
To be fair Autoglym is just the trade name and it could be a wax or a polish, super resin is a polish (but I like it :)) they do a wax as well but I can't remember its name but it is expensive I know that.

Martin

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I use a wash and wax fluid then polish with AG resin then wax. AG has a slight cut with it to take off the grime then seal it with Colonite wax.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Charlie , sallylillian

I gave the van a coat of wax when it was new and as it's supposed to last 12 months at nearly a year old I gave it another coat.
Then I found I could feel road grime under the wax on the lower half of the van, so I had to polish the bottom ½ and then re-wax.

Next time I only left it 8 months same problem. Just done it again only 4 months after the last wax same problem but not quite as bad.
It appears the road grime embeds it's self into the wax and doesn't wash off when washing the van.

Starting to think I might as well just use a good quality polish like Megglars or Mothers and not bother with the wax. I was using the wax to avoid using abrasive polishes.

Hi Lenny,

I have not really had any problems, I coat the van twice a year, admittedly my Flair was painted and not GRP gel finish, so the Morelo will be a new adventure. The painted finish on the Flair had a clear coat which provides a different base. That said I am a bit anal about cleaning and do not allow grime to stay on the van for more that a few days. I put 2 coats on below the waist band and on the front cap. I did the front cap on the Morelo before I left the dealer and it made a hell of a difference removing the bugs.
Also mine is stored in the barn when I am not using it.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We had Paintseal gen 3. Ceramic coating from new. Initially expensive but works a treat for us - easy to keep clean. Just got back from 8 week away and took 3 hours to clean all the outside perfect finish including the roof.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I wash mine with gel wash shampoo which is what I thought you are supposed to do inbetween colonite 476. It is gentler and doesn't strip the wax off.
I think some traffic film gets stuck in the wax so a very light cut with the AG resin polish lifts that off then seal it again with wax. Our Hobby is a coated aluminium body that comes up great but the fiat cab takes a bit more work.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
To be fair Autoglym is just the trade name and it could be a wax or a polish, super resin is a polish (but I like it :)) they do a wax as well but I can't remember its name but it is expensive I know that.

Martin

Autoglym HD wax (y)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Charlie , sallylillian

Wondering if the dust from the road is electrostatically bonded to the wax rather than imbedding into it. When you wax a surface, all that buffing and rubbing must create a charged surface.

The wax of course would still be doing it’s job nicely and protecting the surface of the paint. I read somewhere that you might be able to reduce this problem by applying a very thin coat of an instant detailer polymer spray, which is meant to go over wax. So when you’ve waxed, go over the bottom half of the van, very lightly buffing a detailer spray like Nanoskin. It’s meant to dissipate the static. You can also use it after washing and saves rewaxing. See here. Hope that helps Lenny.
https://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom.cgi?Command=ShowProduct&db_pid=1009

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I to used Collinite for the first time last year.
I've just binned it and found didn't appear to set so attracted all the road grime. Expensive junk. Sone may find it acceptable but I'm back to my trusty Meguiars

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I must admit that using it o
I to used Collinite for the first time last year.
I've just binned it and found didn't appear to set so attracted all the road grime. Expensive junk. Sone may find it acceptable but I'm back to my trusty Meguiars
n the roof of our van the rain does go into puddles and sit there, also

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
I've always used Zaino stuff (have the full range !!) on cars it's been awesome - sadly, I am possibly looking forward to getting a good shine on a TBC inbound MH...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back