Collected our rescue dog today (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why Romanian ones though? - are there not enough 'British' rescue dogs?

Your dogs look lovely, but so many dogs in this country are put down because they cannot be rehomed - importing strays from abroad is beyond belief.

Joe

Took the words right out of my mouth, had been thinking the same but daren't post it knowing what everyone else on here thinks about dogs.

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Your dogs look lovely, but so many dogs in this country are put down because they cannot be rehomed - importing strays from abroad is beyond belief.

Joe

@denisejoe I really hope this thread doesn't turn political but just to say - we started our search with the homegrown charities but couldn't find a suitable dog. In a previous life my dogs were from RSPCA.

Then we stumbled on the foreign dog rescues who are doing such a fantastic job without the resources available to many of the UK charities.

It's not necessarily either/or. I hope there's a place for both. All dogs in danger or being mistreated deserve a chance.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes

Joe
Have you ever adopted a dog from a British rescue centre?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
@denisejoe I really hope this thread doesn't turn political but just to say - we started our search with the homegrown charities but couldn't find a suitable dog. In a previous life my dogs were from RSPCA.

Then we stumbled on the foreign dog rescues who are doing such a fantastic job without the resources available to many of the UK charities.

It's not necessarily either/or. I hope there's a place for both. All dogs in danger or being mistreated deserve a chance.

Precisely. A dog needs to be adopted whatever the origin. A dog in our village is an ex IED dog that the handler brought back from Afghanistan as he had no idea what was going to happen to the poor thing if he didn't. We also see Romanian dogs. No issues with that at all

Have you ever adopted a dog from a British rescue centre?

Well, Mrs Deluxe does the dog rehoming at the local rescue centre and it is incredibly difficult matching the dogs and owners requirements together. As @Dawn B knows, finding a suitable dog (as opposed to any dog) is very hard, even with compromises. There is no point in rehoming a dog that is not suitable as it simply comes back again, which is nobodies best interests, least of all the dog. Yes, there are a lot of UK dogs looking for a home, but many of them are hard to find somewhere, for various reasons. Sesaw takes dogs from pounds and RSPCA etc, simply to prevent a healthy dog being put down. Eventually they do usually find homes; it just takes longer at times.

Anyone that adopts a dog from a rescue centre, wherever it may be, should be applauded. Much better to have a dog like that than pay thousands to a breeder/trader/puppy farm where sometimes even "good" dogs have genetic issues

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes I have had a rescue dog from an English rescue centre so have both of my daughters one of which I inherited.

Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back