Collapsible ladder stuck not opening (2 Viewers)

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Come to Germany! It's great for motorhoming/van life.
1612959142254.png

We carry on the rear end of the van a collapsible ladder. A photograph of it might or might not help but I don't have one and it's not easy to get one but anyway it's something like the one in the photo I've just found.

For some time it's been tricky to open, was sticking at times, now - in cold weather - it won't open at all. I've tried very light oil at all the points where this might help, and let this soak in overnight but it won't budge. I'm really not sure what to do at this point. I want to use my ladder! Could there be some internal fault that is stopping it opening?

I was going to try WD-40 but read advice against this.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Are all the sections stuck? Or just a few?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Hot soapy water, what usually happens is fine dust finds its way in and jams the slides. There is no mechanical catch to keep it closed thats what the strap is for. Drill a hole in the bottom of the feet so the water can run out.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Dirt, especially grit, is the enemy of these types of ladders. Also look for any physical damage - scratches / dents in the tubes and rings.

Be wary of any lubricant which might interfere with the rung locking systems. WD40 will be bad as it can hold the dirt, a light silicone may be appropriate.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had the same after ours got a soaking when we were cleaning the conservatory roof, it kept jamming up and not opening/closing at times, a good dose of silicone spray sorted it.

Reactions: f6c
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We keep one of those telescopic ladders in the back of our MoHo as well.
They are not good if they get wet!

Consequently, I left ours, fully extended and upside down, draining against a building in the summer sunshine all day after I last used it for washing the roof.

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Thanks for comments and suggestions.

(icantremember) I would suggest a PTFE or silicone spray might be better as WD40 can damage plastics and seals.

When a ladder is closed, its sections are closely telescoped one on top of the other. Would a silicone spray penetrate and run down inside (thus, one hopes, freeing up whatever is stuck)?

Since posting, I've read on diyladders.co.uk that Since posting, I've read on diyladders.co.uk that One of the causes is an excess accumulation of dirt. When too much dirt gets into contact with the telescopic ladder, chances are that it will clog the inside of the stiles making it difficult to move the rungs up and down. To solve this problem, you should use a silicone-based furniture polish to spray the stiles of the ladder. This will leave a thin wax coating on the surface which should solve the problem.

To spray the styles of the ladder, the ladder would have to be already open, wouldn't it?

(The Ex-Gasman) Are all the sections stuck? Or just a few?

I can open the top three sections (I did say in my o p that "it won't open at all" but that was not exactly right) but after that the rest don't open. It was my habit, if I remember rightly, to open the sections from the top, one by one. Whether lower ones, at the time, could have been opened while one above them was stuck, I don't know.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for comments and suggestions.

(icantremember) I would suggest a PTFE or silicone spray might be better as WD40 can damage plastics and seals.

When a ladder is closed, its sections are closely telescoped one on top of the other. Would a silicone spray penetrate and run down inside (thus, one hopes, freeing up whatever is stuck)?

Since posting, I've read on diyladders.co.uk that Since posting, I've read on diyladders.co.uk that One of the causes is an excess accumulation of dirt. When too much dirt gets into contact with the telescopic ladder, chances are that it will clog the inside of the stiles making it difficult to move the rungs up and down. To solve this problem, you should use a silicone-based furniture polish to spray the stiles of the ladder. This will leave a thin wax coating on the surface which should solve the problem.

To spray the styles of the ladder, the ladder would have to be already open, wouldn't it?

(The Ex-Gasman) Are all the sections stuck? Or just a few?

I can open the top three sections (I did say in my o p that "it won't open at all" but that was not exactly right) but after that the rest don't open. It was my habit, if I remember rightly, to open the sections from the top, one by one. Whether lower ones, at the time, could have been opened while one above them was stuck, I don't know.
A silicone spray polish should certainly do the job .. I use this on curtain rails & poles to make the glyders move smoothly.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
This is a serious suggestion. You could try using a thin strap, similar to those used for tying down items on roof racks, to tie the first rung to something solid. The other end to a vehicle, then very very gently use the vehicle to extend the ladder. You will at least be able to work on it then.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
This is a serious suggestion. You could try using a thin strap, similar to those used for tying down items on roof racks, to tie the first rung to something solid. The other end to a vehicle, then very very gently use the vehicle to extend the ladder. You will at least be able to work on it then.
I was going to suggest the very same thing ....it will open it just needs the right amount of pressure to do it.

Then once its open a good clean and liberal coats of silicone spray to stop it happening again

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Take it indoors to get it warm. Then try all of the above suggestions. Next time dry it / spray with offers before collapsing it. Good luck.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds like the likely cause if strapped on the back of van could well have picked up grit from road spray especially if not kept in a protective cover.
If you get it open give a thorough clean .

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Thanks for further advice.

Can anyone answer the following question?

Working from the top of the ladder, the third section does not open. i.e. I can pull up two sections but not the third. After that, NO OTHER SECTIONS WILL OPEN.

Does the "locking" of that third section imply that all sections under that one will not open, irrespective of whether or not there's a problem within those remaining sections?

OR Does the fact that no other sections (after the first two) will open, imply that there's damage/dirt/corrosion in all sections?

Thanks.

(I've just ordered some silicon spray.)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
All sections operate independently one section locking, will not effect any other

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Thank you for all helpful comments. I bought a silicone spray but the problem turned out to be due only to the unusually cold weather.

OP
OP
popotla

popotla

Free Member
Jun 5, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
3.5t on Ford Ranger
Exp
Yes, it froze up, I suppose. After all those helpful comments, I really should have answered sooner. Apologies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back