LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Someone has offered me one of these for nupence, but it runs of canisters, also pictured. Does anyone know if this can be adapted to run off a standard gas bottle. I would want to run it from our BBQ point.
Screenshot_20170717-084205.png

Screenshot_20170717-084213.png

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If there is no regulator outside the cooker I don't think it will run off the external point thats why there are low pressure and high pressure versions of the safari chef

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If there is no regulator outside the cooker I don't think it will run off the external point thats why there are low pressure and high pressure versions of the safari chef
But there is no regulator on the low pressure cadac, the regulator is on the bottle, or am i missing something?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Exactly its designed for an external regulator the ightpressure on connects directly to a small cylinder at high pressure. I think the one you are lookinf at is similar unless there is a regulator that vclips onto the gas refill and supplies the cooker at low pressure I don't think it would work on a bbq point. However if its nuppence you could try it and see!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not sure I'd be advising anyone to "try it and see" where gas is involved :whistle:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks guys. It is a shame as this version of the cooker gets very good reviews, but the low pressure version gets poor reviews due to bad build quality.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
All is not lost. It looks like it can be done with one these. Can i assume that we would then be able to cut off the threaded baulk head addapter and put on our bayonet adapter?

Sorry the link will not copy over arm Amazon. This is from Colmans site but the pipe is only £5.20 on Amazon.Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
All is not lost. It looks like it can be done with one these. Can i assume that we would then be able to cut off the threaded baulk head addapter and put on our bayonet adapter?

Sorry the link will not copy over arm Amazon. This is from Colmans site but the pipe is only £5.20 on Amazon.Broken Link Removed
This is still for high pressure systems when using a remote cannister i.e. not screwed into the bottom. I think the jets will clog up quicker if you put low pressure into an appliance requiring high pressure and it may not burn efficiently.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Zigisla is right. All that hose will let you do it connect it to a bottle.

It won't increase the pressure if your BBQ point is fitted after the van regulator.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thd pipe fits into the regulator provided with the cooker. Apparently in America the cooker is sold with both high pressure regulator and the pipe adaptor for attatching to an RV bulkhead.

You can see i am clutching at straws here guys.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Light bulb moment. Are you saying that the BBQ releases that gas at too low a pressure for this cooker to work? If it was attached to a free standing gas bottle would it work then?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Light bulb moment. Are you saying that the BBQ releases that gas at too low a pressure for this cooker to work? If it was attached to a free standing gas bottle would it work then?
I think that depends on the pressure of a free standing bottle. The gas cartridges you refer to above have a release pressure of 1.17 Bar approx 17 psi. your bbq point will be kicking out 30mBar approx 0.5 psi. If the stove is of so much cheapness, then get it and get the cartridges as well. If you cook all the time and it works out too expensive, re-sell on to someone who only cooks occasionally. Like me.(y)(y);):D2

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I am going to get it and let Colin figure it out when he is home. He will just raise his eyes to the sky at yet another cooking gadet in the van.

I love cooking outside but find my single burner cadac a bit limiting and end up running in and out the van all the while, there sre only so many one pot meals you can do.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Yes basically. It would need to be connected directly to the bottle, not through any kind of regulator.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes basically. It would need to be connected directly to the bottle, not through any kind of regulator.
I think that would be well dodgy the gas would be in the pipe to the cooker at bottle pressure one loose connection gas everywhere.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think that would be well dodgy the gas would be in the pipe to the cooker at bottle pressure one loose connection gas everywhere.

Exactly.

That's what this particular stove is: a high pressure one. It needs bottle pressure to function correctly.

If you don't make and check your connections properly it's your own fault if something goes wrong.

Coleman is an American company. They're lot less hysterical about stuff like that than we are (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That's why I suggested trying it past a regulator on a bottle I don't know what happens if you pass gas through 2 regulators it can't flow at any more pressure than the first the second might regulate it to a lower pressure if thats what its set at if its set higher you just wouldnt get it to work.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am going to get it and let Colin figure it out when he is home. He will just raise his eyes to the sky at yet another cooking gadet in the van.

I love cooking outside but find my single burner cadac a bit limiting and end up running in and out the van all the while, there sre only so many one pot meals you can do.
Just add one of these to supplement your existing Cadac ...

upload_2017-7-18_23-52-44.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back