Cold Weather Escape for Bah humbugs like us, Advice please. (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
So here is the scenario, Boy all grown up, uni done, 1st with Hons, living in London with his mates, no time for Xmass Day with us, too many better invitations, due to girl friend involvement, like Skiing in the Alps or Canada.
We have waited a year to get our new moho, which we will bring home on the 4th October, the nights are drawing in, the weather is going downhill, we dread the Xmas Hype that is already starting. We feel we have missed out all summer in touring as we haven't had a van.
So where would you go, Spain probably, but lets hope the weather this year is more favourable than last eh?
We would love to hear where you are planning to go over Xmass, or any suggestions for a great escape for us (but not Benidorm, please).
Thanks for any helpful suggestions, we are relying on fellow members great experience on this one.

Merry Xmas to all, there I said it!, dont you just hate it when you hear that too early!:sicker:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Doesn't Marie organise something at a Spanish site still?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Doesn't Marie organise something at a Spanish site still?
Yes, Marie (@PenelopePitstop ) organised all the brilliant festivities with the campsite staff at Pinar. I don't think Marie and Rex will be there this year, which is a shame, however I'm sure there will be quite a few of the long term returners there.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
La Aldea camping at El Rocio, Spain love it there easy access out to the national park and surrounding area great for birding and walking.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We're looking for something similar. The link to Pinar looks good but availability covering christmas and new year seem to be ending on leaving on the 1st January - would prefer to move on a couple of days after this to allow for recovering from NYE! :party3:

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Just about to shell out a massive amount of dosh for new moho, so got to get VFM. We have been to the Caribbean many times, Le Sport St Lucia is our favourite 5* Spa destination of them all, but VV expensive!.
Cant stand airports anymore with security checks, long cues, push & shove on and off the plane, and long haul flights, if not Club, then forget it, packed in like sardines in a can, no leg room, squealing kids no way!
Really enjoying the location and suggested venues thus far, so please keep them coming, as we will need to get a plan in place soon.
Thanks to all that can help us in our Bah Humbug mission.

Reactions: Pia
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
We're looking for something similar. The link to Pinar looks good but availability covering christmas and new year seem to be ending on leaving on the 1st January - would prefer to move on a couple of days after this to allow for recovering from NYE! :party3:
Take a look at Los Escullos in Cabo de Gata. Stayed there several times and always enjoyed it.
http://www.uk.losesculloscabodegata.com/

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
strange how some of these sites dont publish any tariffs on their website, they make you send an e mail request to get a price?

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
It's lovely and warm here all year round :)
Should be stopping at Playa Blanca again mid November en route to Fuertventura for winter (y)

The £1000 ferry cost for us isn't bad if we knock off the price of flights & car hire for
4 months we end up saving £s
Don't think the dog flights at £1200-£1400 return would help the cause :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Should be stopping at Playa Blanca again mid November en route to Fuertventura for winter (y)

The £1000 ferry cost for us isn't bad if we knock off the price of flights & car hire for
What's Fuerteventura like for MHs? Sites, aires etc? :)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Interesting that quite few people are recommending camp,sites. We are off in October for couple of months..first time in Spain.we avoid sites at all cost but hope to find some quiet areas to stay ( warmth would be wonderful). So if I,can add on to your thread...anyone have suggestions other than camp sites please?

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
What's Fuerteventura like for MHs? Sites, aires etc? :)
Lots of wild camping spots but I did hear that the Guardia Civil were having a bit of a purge.
Whilst we were over last winter I couldn't get a decent answer regarding the legality of wild camping certainly the Parc Naturel areas are out of bounds but literally 100s
of vans are parked up for weeks.

Interestingly Playa Blanca (Fuertventura) had quite a few vans & tuggers parked up but moved every few days a bit further down the road?
This area has a huge Guardia Civil training school so you're in full view.

Spotted a few sites in the south of the island but again there's never anybody to ask
we even parked up for the day cooked dinner etc and still not approached by anyone.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

Welcome to pop in here to refresh your batteries. And sample my BBQ skills :)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Still owe you a Dorado from last year ;)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We enjoyed our November and Christmas in Portugal last year culminating in a Campsite at Tavira.
Well recommended.

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
La Aldea camping at El Rocio, Spain love it there easy access out to the national park and surrounding area great for birding and walking.

Hi Alan, would I need to book in advance for February next year? Is there a limit to the number of nights one can stay? Is it really busy/noisy. I like the sound of lots of walking with my dog.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Alan, would I need to book in advance for February next year? Is there a limit to the number of nights one can stay? Is it really busy/noisy. I like the sound of lots of walking with my dog.
No you won't need to book there is usually plenty of room and usuall stay as long as you like.
It can get a bit noisy when a brotherhood comes to town but it's bearable and interesting if you google El Rocio you'll get lots of info.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Yes, Marie (@PenelopePitstop ) organised all the brilliant festivities with the campsite staff at Pinar. I don't think Marie and Rex will be there this year, which is a shame, however I'm sure there will be quite a few of the long term returners there.

Hey! We'll be there this winter but it will probably be our last one! Time for change!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Hey! We'll be there this winter but it will probably be our last one! Time for change!
That's great! Thought last winter was your last one. We hope to be there for a week or so but not sure whether pre or post Christmas yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back