cold weather damage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mick noe, Feb 20, 2011.

1. mick noe

mick noe Funster

Ratings:
    +603
    I am wondering how many of us are in for some surprises when getting the vans ready to use after the cold weather? I carefully drained down (I thought:Doh:) but on refilling and testing the system the shower head has split! No big deal and not expensive but thank goodness that was all I had forgotten. Also in spite of driving a few miles every few weeks the wipers have developed a strange fault. Note to self USE VAN OVER WINTER.:thumb:

2. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +0
    Though ours has been laid up since the end of October, ive been in there almost weekly. Checked the batteries, made sure its never been freezing, run the engine a time or two, moved the van a yard to give the tyres a turn etc. If i get any surprises, ill be very surprised.:roflmto:

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Always, always, open taps UNSCREW shower head...don't lose the o-ring!:thumb:

£30 I think a new head is....without pipe.

4. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Ratings:
    +253
    We've used the RV throughout the winter and all seemed OK, until i went to get water from the outside shower, pipes and taps OK but the mixer bit, ie lst bit before shower pipe burst:Doh:

OK I've got a new one from Duncan, about £26 but note to self, don't just rely on opening taps but blow down the thing:thumb:

Actually we got a couple of in line isolator taps I'm looking to instal before next year so once we have the first drain down I can isolate the outside shower and hopefully not have the same issue, and frankly I rarely use it except as in this case I wanted water to wash the wheel trims down...