Cold water washing? (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Here in Spain (Almeria) we were talking to some Spanish and English ladies (please no PC here) and they all use "Agua fria" (cold water) Spanish washing liquid and only use cold water in their machines. SWMBO sitting next to me and being, like me, "old school", thought "What a heap of bloody rubbish!".

Well after three weeks of doing so using our trusty little plastic twin tub, they are right, white and coloureds, badly stained etc come out absolutley fine. No more hot washes for us.
Is this a secret? AEG have brought out a cold only washing machine so I guess that's the future then?
Try it.
JK

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Dont think that is a secret. Webought a new washing machine last year and the different makes we looked at were all cold fill machines. Its all about the modern washing powders they work better at low temperatures.

Will add the washing takes longer to do though due to the pre wash cycles built into the programmes. A bit like the old days of soaking before washing I guess.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I think they are mostly cold fill but then heat the water up to whatever degree. I think OP meant they wash in cold water and don't heat the water at all :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I think they are mostly cold fill but then heat the water up to whatever degree. I think OP meant they wash in cold water and don't heat the water at all :Smile:

The washers here are all cold wash. Many foreign visitors use their own powders and use buckets to fill the washers from the hot taps at the washing up sinks.

On this site only 1 set of washing up sinks have hot water.

Glynn

Free Member
May 2, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Whilst cold water may clean with a detergent designed for cold water washing it won't kill off bacteria as well, think about this - you will never see surgical hospital theatre gowns etc washed in anything less that boiling water.
Using hot water also requires LESS detergents than using cold.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My Mrs is guilty of washing nice new Tees n sweats in boiling water, then when they're three sizes too small, she'll blame my beer drinking habit:Doh:::bigsmile:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
The washers here are all cold wash. Many foreign visitors use their own powders and use buckets to fill the washers from the hot taps at the washing up sinks.

On this site only 1 set of washing up sinks have hot water.

Are you saying you can't get a hot and cold water fill on a washing machine now ? My last one was hot and cold fill.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Looked on the web and you can still get hot and cold fill machines :thumb: :Smile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I'm thinking that the Spanish sun has a bleaching effect when the clothes are hanging out to dry.

Doug...

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
The sun is shining and there's a world out there, I can't believe we're sat in discussing washing.......Link Removed

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Are you saying you can't get a hot and cold water fill on a washing machine now ? My last one was hot and cold fill.

No Dylan

What I was saying was all of the washing machines on the site we have been over-wintering on are just cold washers. Cold fill and no heating of the washer water.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Ive got a better system

Im not sure how much it cost or quite how it works or where you get them from but I have this wicker basket thing in the corner of the bedroom.....you just throw your dirty washing ( undies shirts socks etc. ) in there... ...... and 3 days later they are hanging up or back in my drawers ironed and ready to go .!!!!!

I'll get my coat :)

barry

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Im not sure how much it cost or quite how it works or where you get them from but I have this wicker basket thing in the corner of the bedroom.....you just throw your dirty washing ( undies shirts socks etc. ) in there... ...... and 3 days later they are hanging up or back in my drawers ironed and ready to go .!!!!!

I'll get my coat :)

barry

Barry I have one of those too, a different model though, white with two compartments but does exactly the same thing. I had to buy a licence for 7/6 (38p) 40 years ago but it has never worn out or broken down, though I have to take the operators assistant out for a meal once every so many years.
Best bargain I ever had.

Norman

Norman

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

Ours has a cold water pipe attached. No hot water feed.
The washing machine heats up the water inside the drum to what ever temp you set it at.
We queried it when we bought it last year , and were told that most new washing machines are made that way now. :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Snap, which was what Pete was saying really, and I can choose a cold wash if I want but usually do 30 or 40 degrees I admit.

There is defo no 'boil' wash on this machine though!

However - I don't actually find a need to sterilise my washing as it goes - but if I did I expect I'd put the jam pan on the gas and bring the contents up to the boil, hardly rocket science!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back