Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've actually done it, I've retired and bought my first motor home and am really looking forward to the future. BUT I have noticed that on the ALKO plate fixed to the bodywork behind the drivers door that my gross weight is 3500kg yet on my V5 document it says 3850kg. Why the difference????

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It sounds as if the vehicle has been uprated. Could there be another plate somewhere, under the bonnet perhaps? This company do quite a lot of uprating so might be worth talking to therm. http://www.svtech.co.uk
But big welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
Phil65

Phil65

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
It sounds as if the vehicle has been uprated. Could there be another plate somewhere, under the bonnet perhaps? This company do quite a lot of uprating so might be worth talking to therm. http://www.svtech.co.uk
But big welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome & advice, I've had a look and found a Burstner plate but that says my gross weight is 3500. I'll try svtech and see what they have to offer, again many thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Have you got a shed load of documents & have you looked through them all ?
There may be an up-rating certificate in there somewhere.

Also if it is over 3.5t check you have the entitlement to drive it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If it has been uprated, there must be a new plate alongside the old one. It could be in a couple of places depending on the model.
Is the vehicle taxed? It should be rated PHGV ( private heavy goods vehicle) if the V5 weight is right.
Any changes in weight should come with a new plate and even if it has been down rated again, all the old weight plates should still be there. They are dated so you can follow what changes have been made.
SvTech ( if that's who uprated it) should be able to provide a copy of the plate
Allan

OP
OP
Phil65

Phil65

Free Member
Oct 13, 2012
Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coach built, low profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
If it has been uprated, there must be a new plate alongside the old one. It could be in a couple of places depending on the model.
Is the vehicle taxed? It should be rated PHGV ( private heavy goods vehicle) if the V5 weight is right.
Any changes in weight should come with a new plate and even if it has been down rated again, all the old weight plates should still be there. They are dated so you can follow what changes have been made.
SvTech ( if that's who uprated it) should be able to provide a copy of the plate
Allan

Thanks to all of you who took the time to help me, I cann't find a upgrade certificate amongst all the papers I've got or another plate but the V5 does state Private HGV for the taxation class. Still waiting for a reply from SvTech. Again thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. well just look at the tax disk and see how much it is a year .. If it is £165 then the correct vehicle weight as registered is 3.8t
If it is about £220 ( ? ) then it is still on a 3.5t registration

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Did you buy it from a dealer? They should sort out the plate for you. It may be that the previous owner removed the plate to sell / trade it as a 3500 kg as there is a bigger market for this weight class.
Your entitlement to drive over 3.5 tonnes may change when you reach 70
Allan

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Our swift ok tiki v5 said 3500. But was plated at 3850

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You have got to watch the bloody dealers!!

Ours was sold and registered to us as 3850kg. Both plates (Ford and Trigano) read 3500kg!

A new 3850kg plate from Trigano was promptly supplied by the dealer after threatening rejection of the new vehicle!

The Welcome 35 was specced for 3850kg by Ford, but downplated to allow a 3500kg gross if required. The French market Challenger version was plated as standard as 3500kg due to the fact our licencing laws are a few years behing theirs in respect of C1 entitlement.

Interestingly, a low level overflow pipe was fitted to the water tank to reduce its capacity and the waste tank full sensor was positioned halfway down the tank. Both these measures were intended to bring down the mass in running order in 3500kg spec.

I blocked off the overflow and moved the waste sensor within days of buying the van!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back