LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi - I wondered if there are any coffee machines for MH use (not cafetieres, jugs or kettles ;) ) that are compact, easy to set up / clean and will run off an unassisted EHU - at the same time as a couple of laptops, an electric compressor fridge and the interior LEDs? I'm not too bothered about cost or flavour for now, so long as it's better than instant!

Before you start, there is no Inverter, generator, solar panel or fusion reactor allowed in the answer ::bigsmile:

Thanks (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nespresso pixie machine, likewise 6amps should do it.

"Clean"! It takes pods so just use and then bin the empty pod, empty the drip tray now and again and give it a wash when you pack it away.

And a choice of colours.

image.png

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a Nescafé dolce gusto in the van(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Biggest problem is size, where to store it, where to seat it on a work surface.

Second biggest is power rating.

For long stays we usually have a filter machine set up on a table in the safari room.

Most of the newer vans with obligatory fixed bed have no worthwhile work surfaces.

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Amazon product ASIN B01G4TWE7M
This was my answer, slowly pour your just off the boil water over it. Makes a good brew

I'd bought a relatively lower power filter machine (850w i think, amazon basics) but its start up current tripped my 1500 watt inverter

ed to add: that way you can use off hook up too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Amazon product ASIN B01G4TWE7M
This was my answer, slowly pour your just off the boil water over it. Makes a good brew

So, just out of interest, what type of coffee do you put in there?

Incidentally, however you did that insert my ad blocker saw it as an advert and blocked it - bit of a pain to see what you were talking about ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Most of the newer vans with obligatory fixed bed have no worthwhile work surfaces.

I understand what your saying, but I'd rather have a few games of accessory chess around the available work areas than have to make up and take down a bed every time I wanted it. Maybe the newer vans have fixed beds because fixed beds are popular. o_O

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tried lots Aeropress, hand and battery grinders, Mukka and Mokka pots, Filter, Aerolatte even premium instant but currently using an Expresso machine, Link Removed, (takes ground coffee and coffee pads) makes great coffee and the wand is easy to use to make the milk, 2 lattes take us 15 minutes including setup and cleaning afterwards. Quite compact, pod machines are more compact but you have to use pods, and the milk is still an issue, unless you use the pod milk (too sweet for me). We had to put an inverter and battery in to support it off EHU. Takes 1100w peak when heating, the pump bit is negligible draw.

Thinking about it now we came to the conclusion that the milk is as important as the coffee for the way we like it, some of the above can make a good coffee but the milk is a seperate issue and so far expresso machine only thing we have found that does both.

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
So, just out of interest, what type of coffee do you put in there?

Incidentally, however you did that insert my ad blocker saw it as an advert and blocked it - bit of a pain to see what you were talking about ;)

Yeah mine blocks them all too, have to turn it off to see what's hidden in teh empty space.

I only bought it last week - biggest disaster yet is the coffee machine not working in there - alhtough I could have tinkered with the electrics to make it a soft start up but this seemed easier. So far I've used the same coffee as I use in the filter machine, so Lavazza Qualita Rossa groudn and good old Aldi Colombian and Java, works a treat. To me makes a much better brew than a cafetiere as the coffee isn't in contact with teh water so long.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We have a Nescafé dolce gusto in the van(y)

So do we, and at the risk of flouting the OPs rules on digressing, it also runs on the 2000w inverter, better with the engine running if stopped en route.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Obviously. Though we spend a third of our lives in bed, so why compromise the other two thirds.

Speak for yourself, our bed sees a lot more action than that ;) (y)

(we quite often have a snooze in the afternoon) :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We did have a Gaggia Vision bean to cup coffee maker, our last van had a built in filter coffee machine, but the best coffee we have had is using a stove top espresso pot and milk frother ( both made by Bialetti)
The make of coffee is more important, we use Lavazza.
Easy to store and clean and even easier to use and you can also use it when not on shore power.

Upvote 0

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
image.jpg
Luckily we have just the spot for ours.

I would not give up my fixed bed for all the tea in China or coffee in the world either :)

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I have a DeLongi Espresso machine, it fits in a small, convenient cupboard. Works well on an EHU. I take my own grind with me;

IMG_20161105_163706.jpg

For a quicker brew I recommend Homes Cafe sachets. You can get them at Chinese Supermarkets. They come in 2 in 1 sachets (coffee and creamer) or 3 in 1 (as before plus sugar).

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Nespresso pixie machine, likewise 6amps should do it.

"Clean"! It takes pods so just use and then bin the empty pod, empty the drip tray now and again and give it a wash when you pack it away.

And a choice of colours.

View attachment 131761
Nespresso - the most consistently good espresso I ever tasted

Upvote 0

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We have a Nespresso as well. It's rated at 1200 watts or 5 amps so it shouldn't be a problem on even a restricted EHU. We also have the milk heater although I wouldn't use them at the same time. One advantage of Nespresso is that it only takes power for a short time as it makes each cup, so it's also ideal when using off the inverter we're not supposed to mention.

Upvote 0

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
We take our Tassimo, fits in under sink drawer perfectly when we are travelling. Wouldn't be without it
Chris

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
OK ... being a bit Piki ... as in the fish - obviously, I can't help noticing that these things sell for £100-£150 new, but are available in droves 2nd hand on fleabay for £30 or £40, quite unusual in the high end tech markets. Any reasons for this?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back