Coffee grounds in Shower tray? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Now, I've just been away a week in the Motorhome and after coming home yesterday and unpacking the bulk of stuff to tidy up it's apparant that theres some water and coffee grounds in the shower tray!
I'm sure I'm right in saying this but am assuming this is a symptom of overfilling the grey waste tank! There's a week worth of washing up in there and we have a cafetiere of coffee at least once a day so it's the only thing that makes sense?

I also assume there's no way to avoid this other than empty more often?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We always empty coffee grounds out and wipe round with tissue to avoid them going down into the waste tank. I suspect the grounds have come up from the waste tank. Best way to stop that is to keep the plugs in whilst travelling. We keep a bucket under the waste if we're staying anywhere for more than a couple of days, or at least empty some waste out into buckets to dispose of waste. Might be worth you keeping a bucket handy to empty your grounds into as well rather than chucking them down the sink!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Don't put coffee grounds down the sink. They have a nasty habit of forming a plug at the outlet meaning that you then have to dislodge it to get the grey water out.

It does sound as if you've overfilled - so, yes, empty more often.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
thanks all, thought it was my own fault. Always learning. I remember thinking I should try to find a way to seperate the grounds from having to rinse them down the sink, just not found a simple solution yet. I like the bucket idea but I try and wild as much as possible so not I feel happy to keep a bucket out overnight or not. Suppose a tupperware dish with lid to scrape them into then they could go in the compost at home?

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
thanks all, thought it was my own fault. Always learning. I remember thinking I should try to find a way to seperate the grounds from having to rinse them down the sink, just not found a simple solution yet. I like the bucket idea but I try and wild as much as possible so not I feel happy to keep a bucket out overnight or not. Suppose a tupperware dish with lid to scrape them into then they could go in the compost at home?
Small recycling bin and a cheap strainer

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Having tried many ways to make coffee when away, we now use a simple filter with a paper insert the coffee goes straight into a vacuum jug and the grounds go straight into the bin. It does take a bit longer to pour the water in but saves all the hassle of cleaning a cafetiere

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Try a one way valve in the waste outlet from shower to tank, this will stop flow back.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Iā€™m surprised your tank doesnā€™t have a hole/vent on the tank, if nothing else than to allow air out whilst you are filling the tank.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Driving home with a lot of grey water onboard should probably be avoided, even if it was less than full. With a lot of water sloshing around in an un-baffled tank it is very likely to find itā€™s way into one pipe or another. The shower tray being only inches above the tank is a prime candidate for flooding, even if some is also sloshing out of the vent/overflow.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We never put anything like that down our sink, the if the washing-up bowl has lots of bits in it it gets chucked outside under a hedge or down a drain, likewise with water left in a pan to soak. The drains in a MoHo are not big enough to cope with food waste.

Upvote 0

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
I use a moka pot to make coffee in the van, I find the grounds come out of the funnel easily with a quick tap on the side of the bin.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Iā€™m surprised your tank doesnā€™t have a hole/vent on the tank, if nothing else than to allow air out whilst you are filling the tank.

I don't think it has, I'd have to get underneath and have a look. The sink doesn't drain that quickly really.
Driving home with a lot of grey water onboard should probably be avoided, even if it was less than full. With a lot of water sloshing around in an un-baffled tank it is very likely to find itā€™s way into one pipe or another. The shower tray being only inches above the tank is a prime candidate for flooding, even if some is also sloshing out of the vent/overflow.

yes, I suspect that's what has happened, as I say not sure Ive got any tank vents so it's probably found the path of least resistance on the 350 mile trip home yesterday. As I wild mainly there wasn't anywhere proper to empty the grey waste :-(
We never put anything like that down our sink, the if the washing-up bowl has lots of bits in it it gets chucked outside under a hedge or down a drain, likewise with water left in a pan to soak. The drains in a MoHo are not big enough to cope with food waste.

I never put food waste down the sink, everything gets scraped into the bin using tissues etc before washing. As for chucking under hedges etc, always a bit self concious with that as worried people will assume it's improper?

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Then the crud will appear at the sink plughole instead.
If there's no overflow of sorts it has to go somewhere.
If you don't have a one valve on shower then before it reaches the height of the sink will the shower not be swamped.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If your sink "doesn't drain that quickly" then can I suggest you have already created a problem for yourself , by tossing the used coffee stuff down the sink. It's starting to block up now.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The simplest, most basic solution is stretch a fine weave cloth across the colander and swill and empty the pot through the cloth filter. Empty into the bin when it dries

The problem with debris returning up through the shower, is it could be indicative of a blocked or part blocked inlet to the tank. Can be an absolute sod to shift too

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Put mine down the loo and they go out when I empty the cassette. Oh look a toilet thread šŸ˜Š

Upvote 0
Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
10E4884E-35A6-4608-A7FB-E51F50A97656.jpeg

Sorry couldnā€™t resist šŸ‘šŸ„ƒšŸ¦¶

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I never put food waste down the sink, everything gets scraped into the bin using tissues etc before washing. As for chucking under hedges etc, always a bit self concious with that as worried people will assume it's improper?

Most small campsites tell you to empty grey water under the hedge.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back