freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
has anybody got a code reader for a 2002 2.8jtd ,just need to no the make and where you got it from. its the one with the 3 pin plug,

i have just put a new starter battery on and now the red injector light is showing, any ideas

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
has anybody got a code reader for a 2002 2.8jtd ,just need to no the make and where you got it from. its the one with the 3 pin plug,

i have just put a new starter battery on and now the red injector light is showing, any ideas

I am sure our mine of information, Geo or John will be along soon with the answer:thumb:

Peter

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry not familiar with any 3 pin code reader we only use the OEBD11 socket for diagnostics and code reading:Smile:
Geo
This lead Link Removedwill allow you to use a standard code reader to read from the 3 pin socket if that helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
F

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i found that lead on ebay yesterday but i have read someware that it will not work with an obd2 reader,

i can get the software for the laptop of the fiat forum and then need an obd1 lead to connect to the laptop and the 3pin adapter lead , i am not sure which to buy.
thanks for your help

OP
OP
F

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
update

i am now able to read the codes from the ecu on my 2.8jtd with the fiatscan 1.6 software and leads from ebay, details can be found here

http://www.fiatforum.com/lets-talk-fiat/219467-free-fiat-diagnostic-software.html

and then read the how to use procedure here

Link Removed

i have cleared one error code but another remains P0480 which is cooling fan #1 malfunction , does anyboy know if there are any fuses for this ,i know where the relay is but want to start with the simple things first

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
i am now able to read the codes from the ecu on my 2.8jtd with the fiatscan 1.6 software and leads from ebay, details can be found here

http://www.fiatforum.com/lets-talk-fiat/219467-free-fiat-diagnostic-software.html

and then read the how to use procedure here

Link Removed

i have cleared one error code but another remains P0480 which is cooling fan #1 malfunction , does anyboy know if there are any fuses for this ,i know where the relay is but want to start with the simple things first

Then start with the fault as indicated by the code--- faulty motor, poor conections
Code PO485 indicates a power or earth fault:Doh:
Now you have your reader all you have to learn is code interpretationn:Eeek: and its a nightmare, as you learn to interpet the codes it will start telling you lies, then you will soon learn that senor errors as indicated are false and its a hole in the exhaust thats causing the error code:cry:
Have fun:thumb:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As an add on
We have many customers that have bought code readers ,it can sometimes save you the cost of a scan, but if not used correctly it can be used to clear other codes that would otherwise help the Mechanic to trace and interpret the correct fault, thereby doubling the diagnostic cost by seding him up the wrong path
We in the trade just love self diagnosis
It usualy goes somthing like
Can you fit me an offside ball joint
Q why?
Ive got a knocking noise
Q are you sure its the ball joint
Yes
Ok tha'tl cost you £XXX
Ball joint fitted and by the way it still knocks:Eeek: its your anti roll bar link rod :Doh:
experiance has taught us never try and point out a self diagnosis could be wrong, you get some very annoyed customers
Buying a code reader is a bit like going to spec savers for glasses to teach you to read

That said, practise and you will get pretty good at it:thumb:
do a lot of internet reading about code reading methods and interpretation, you could then put some garages to shame:Sad:
Or at the very least know when your being bull s**tted:thumb:
Knowledge is power::bigsmile:
Geo

OP
OP
F

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
cheers Geo, the other code was a glow plug warning which has not returned . I used the fiat scan to check the cooling fans and could get fan 2 running but not fan 1 which the code points to , i intend to swap the relay and then recheck, the fan is free spinning so its not seized , checking the internet for this code brought up a peogeut boxer amendment about the relays causeing this code and the warning light , to rectify was to change relays.

once the engine gets to temp the warning light goes out for a while then reapears for a while before going out againwhich makes me think a sticking relay any thoughts on this please

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You could be spot on you may be miles out
If you have an identical relay then swop it
The point I was trying to make was dont get to rely on the codes as a given, very often a failed unit is no more than a conection problem at either end ie the sensor or ecu,
I would have started by giving the fan a feed then work back,but its horses for courses, youll get there in the end
Good luck and happy scanning:thumb:
the more you play the more you learn, Im still learning after all these years
My perfect MotorHome
Would have a starting handle, and points and condenser:roflmto:
Geo

OP
OP
F

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I still have this problem of the injection light on for code P0480, the light is on all the time , i have connected 12volt to the fan direct and it runs ( so not a faulty fan ) i have swapped the relays behind the cover on the radiator and still have the same problem , where is the sensor for the tempreture to turn the fans on any can any body give me any other ideas to try , its been to a garage for 4 hours with no joy and we are off to scotland next weekend for 3 weeks

thanks
chris

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
This reads like a circuit prob, as Geo said I think. Have you gone round all connectors etc and checked them? If you let the van idle (watching the temp guage) does fan #1 come on? Is fan #2 kicking in?

If fan #1 doesn't run stick a multi meter (in theory) accross the fan socket (ie from the power side not the fan) and see it 12volts turns up at all, is 12 or less or none etc, proves fault conclusivly either way.

Fundamentalty, does the van overheat or try?

OP
OP
F

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i have been out and removed the battery to get to all the big fuses behind it, they are all ok ,fuses checked in the glove box all ok are there any more fuses or realys to check

i have undone all the connections that i can get my hands to and remade them , the engine does not seam to overheat and the gauge never gets above half way,

i will take the van for a run to get up to temp and then watch the fans
thanks for replys

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back