Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Does anyone use a Cobb when out & about, or even at home?
I hsve a Cobb and it will roast a large Chicken or Beef or Leg of Lamb in about one & half to two hours, the best bit is you don't have to attend to it. Using only one 'Cobblestone' for each of the above you get approx two to two & half hours cooking time.
It seem an expensive bit of kit but it is worth every penny and you can still treat it like a BBQ.
My other bit of kit is a double skillet, chips/roast pots/roast mixed root veg/even a fruit cake-brilliant!:thumb::thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We use the cobb at home a lot. It will be used to cook one of our own cockerels at about 2pm today:thumb:

janeousswim

Free Member
Jul 22, 2008
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
cooking aids

Hi, i have got a Remoska . I had it recommended to me as we have no oven in our Hymer. I have done roasts, bread, caes, pizzas, etc and feel it is as good as an oven. I bought it from Lakeland and also thought it very expensive !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We also have one but I have never used one of the carbon packs that you refer to, we find that with the brickets you cant get enough in the fire tray to cook a whole chicken so maybe if we see one of the carbon blocks we may buy some to try.

We have not used the cob much the last winter in Portugal as the weather was so bad so we hope next winter will be better.

Doug...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I saw Sundowners using one of those custom made coals for the Cobb, looked good. We use regular briquettes some are better than others, but with good quality charcoal briquettes you need about a dozen to cook a chicken. We resist the temptation to lift the lid before an hour and twenty, but when we do, even the largest chicken is cooked to perfection. :thumb:

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
Cobb BBQ

We also use briquettes and use about 8/9 for a whole chicken and have no problems. Also wrap veg/potatoes etc in foil and put in water well whilst cooking the meat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I used the original Cob Block but have found a cheaper version in ("Home Bargains") 5 blocks for £2.99. Haven't tried yet, but are reputed to give burn time of 90 mins.

Don

OP
OP
M

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Beware cheaper blocks for you Cobb.

The original Cobblestones seem expensive but they are made with Coconut fibre and the cheaper ones (ones we got) are Anthracite and you end up with coal tasting food. We use the cheap ones on the open BBQ now.
We also sawed some of our Cobblestones in half and found one half was enough to cook a small Chicken for two.
Haven't got on very well with briquettes they don't seem to get enough air to get the heat, last time I tried a Chicken it was sitting for about 20 mins with no smells or noise so checked coals and they were nearly out but not burnt out!!:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back