Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Guys

Has anybody had any experience of a Cobb bbq ( gas or coal version ) and if so what do you think of it?

Thanks
Jan and Bib

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Bought one a few years ago, sold it after a few weeks as too messy to clean for me.

John Coulson

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
30 years
We love ours but it is a real pain to clean. Mostly use charcoal in it but the new cobb stones are way better than the old smoky ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@Granjan has one, I think she has left a review on Jim's review bit of the forum.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Had one for about 9 years, agree messy to clean, but does the job really well. Had some amazing roasts done in it.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have both, bought coal version first takes15 to 20 mins to heat up, much prefer the gas one as it is instant heat. Yes it takes a bit of washing up but its no big deal to us, a pan scrub sorts it and it can get a proper spruce up in the dishwasher when we get home. Put some liquid in the moat and that helps. we love it and safe to use sat on a table etc, designed for boats. Maybe a bit bulky if space is an issue. We love ours, love cooking outside and find it quite versatile.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
We've got the older version and love it, cooks really well just about anything, packs up small. Agree with the review under 'reviews, https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/reviews/cobb.6/

We have all the bits, haven't had a cleaning problem with our version though always use the Cobb stones. Not sure it totally qualifies as a BBQ as it doesn't have an open grill as such, so if you want those brown stripes on your steaks this wont do that, but it still cooks them superbly.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I like the Cobb and have been using the charcoal version for many years. It has limitations but they're not many, as mentioned, one used to be that it's not an open grill but they now make a BBQ kit as an accessory. it comprises of a full size coal grate to replace the small central one and a stainless steel cooking grid, so now you can cook on open coals. This packs away with all the other pieces into the bag so no extra space is taken. I use that grate when I cook curries stir fries etc in the frying dish as it give a more even heat distribution.

I don't mind the clean up because for such a small package it's so versatile, cooking bacon and eggs or roast dinner, grill burgers & steaks or cook curries, stir fries, soup or even bake bread.

I never got on with the Cobb briquettes and only use heat beads, they give a good heat that I find lasts well in excess of 2 hrs. If i'm stir frying or grilling and the coals are still going strong after cooking I have a metal biscuit tin I put them in and with the lid on are quickly doused and ready for the next cooking.

Highly recommended if you don't mind having a beer or two while it gets going and giving it a bit of a scrub after use.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
The Cob is very good and I love mine. Its not non stick, cook some sausages on it and you will know about it!
Also don't put it in the dishwasher. I have melted part of mine putting it through a cycle.
They are lightweight though, great if you are limited on space and actually very a very tidy way to BBQ.
I would happily recommend one!

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
We’ve cooked a whole Roast Chicken on ours , they’re very versatile. They are a pain to clean though and you need to be careful how you set them up, we melted part of ours, wrote to Cobb but had no reply. So customer service (in Zambia) was poor in our experience.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have one and use it a lot both at home and in the van.

It's a great way to cook at chicken and also works well as a smoker.

I don't find it difficult to clean at all. Don't understand the issue there.

The Cobb Stones are fine if you're only using it as a BBQ but no use at all if you want to use it as an oven or a smoker because they don't last long enough, only about an hour or so.

We never use it as a BBQ so I stick with good quality charcoal and get a good 3 hours of cooking. On occasion I've had to add more charcoal as the original batch burns out but this has never caused any problems.

It's not a fast way to cook - a big chicken might take 2 and a half or 3 hours and a large joint of beef or pork a fair bit longer but the results are unbeatable.

Some parts of it are dishwasher safe, some aren't. Read the instructions.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
An extra piece of advice.

If you're using one to cook a chicken or a joint of meat a meat thermometer is a useful investment.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I had one years ago, loved it, yes it was a pain to clean but the joints of meat were fantastic, leg of lamb, big lump of beef, whole chickens, potatoes done in the bottom-lovely!
I wouldn’t use one tho just for a normal breakfast & I wouldn’t use one as a standard bbq as they really only work well with the lid on, as soon as you lift the lid to see what’s going on you loose the heat!
There is a review in the Reviews on here.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Agree with all the postitives
put a chicken on go out for a couple of hours, bingo(y)
always use cobbles for fuel
quality product!

but so is this

71%2BmfBimYVL._SY524_.jpg

hWH4Dq

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries