Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... well ... you already KNOW the correct answer don't you Bill ... that's if you want an easy life and a happy wife! :D

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
We have the gas one Bill and my wife rates it ,she uses it all the time if the weathers ok to cook outside .(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I have used one of those table top ones now for a few years and for the price they are very good, :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Charcoal all the way.

Gas defeats the whole point of a Cobb. You'd be better off sticking with the Cadac.

It's not a BBQ though. If that's what you want to use if for you'll be disappointed.

Use it as it's designed - as an oven or a smoker - and it's unbeatable.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was thinking of changing my Cadac for one of these which are gas, but with volcanic rock. Any comments?
Amazon product ASIN B0051UK8U6
Malcolm
Had one of those for a good few years when we used to go on sites etc and they are a great BBQ, very versatile, the lid can be used as a windbreak (it sits on the back) or put over whilst stuff is cooking which keeps it nice and moist and speeds up the cooking time, no need to constantly clean it as you just put the lid on and put the legs around it to make a nice easy to move unit. Oh, you don't need the lava rock, we found it doesn't make any difference to the taste anyway which is just like a BBQ as the fat off the food hits the hot deflector plate and creates the 'flavour' ... unless of course you like it very smokey!

We also had a slightly different one with a small half shelf built into the attached lid to keep stuff warm which also worked great but was a bit awkward to store due to it's larger size.

Both worked great though ... I can remember being at the Dusseldorf Salon MH show in the 'camping car park' surrounded by hundreds (thousands?) of other MHs, with hubby cooking on our 'shelf' one and it caused quite a lot of interest, indeed one chap asked us to buy one for him and send it t him in Germany he was so impressed!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you can find one - a Florabest Aldi/Lidl knockoff of the Lotus Grill...

Best of both worlds... uses charcoal but lights & heats up nearly as fast as a gas [not] BBQ thanks to a small battery fan in the base. Uses a tiny amount of charcoal

Like this - must all come out of the Chinese factory :rolleyes:

"The Lotus Grill is a unique, ingenious BBQ which heats up in under 5 minutes, giving you that authentic charcoal cooked flavour in no time! Perfect for smaller households or impromptu summer gatherings. Small and convenient to transport, the Lotus Grill weighs only 4kg and is available in a range of summertime colours. The ingenious fan design, is powered by 4 AA batteries, whilst the clever double skinned bowl stays cool on the outside, allowing you to handle the grill, even when hot. Suitable for up to 5 people."

$_86.JPG

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Had one of those table top as ones for years, use it at home.

For me, the lava rock makes a difference to the taste of the food - yum

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Buying a Cobb was an expensive mistake for us.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Buying a Cobb was an expensive mistake for us.

How come?

I love ours. I use it at home more than I do in the van. It’s the best thing I’ve ever found for slow cooking joints of meat and chickens.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
We had a Cob, was ok for home use that you could put in a dishwasher, but a PITA when out and about unless you only cook, well Cobbs (sweetcorn) cleaning it was about as bad as the equally crap Cadac

We purchased a Florabest grill like Stephens locally secondhand for £20, wrap some tinfoil round the bowl and it removes the cleaning hassle, and we have similar table top gas barbie to the one above to use when fire bans are about

Both are very quick to use and require minimal cleaning which IMV is a massive thing

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We had a Cob, was ok for home use that you could put in a dishwasher, but a PITA when out and about unless you only cook, well Cobbs (sweetcorn) cleaning it was about as bad as the equally crap Cadac

We purchased a Florabest grill like Stephens locally secondhand for £20, wrap some tinfoil round the bowl and it removes the cleaning hassle, and we have similar table top gas barbie to the one above to use when fire bans are about

Both are very quick to use and require minimal cleaning which IMV is a massive thing

Both the Cobb and the Cadac are perfectly quick and easy to clean. I genuinely don't understand that argument and never have done.

When we're away the Cadac is used to cook breakfast pretty much every morning and it's cleaned in a couple of minutes. The Cobb may take a little longer depending on what we've cooked but it certainly isn't difficult.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We don't have a problem cleening the cadack we just burn off the grill
It gets a good going over once a year :rofl:
Bill

Paul1958

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
Tavira, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Can the Cobb be used via an external gas point or only with canisters ?
Yes you can buy an adaptor to use your external gas point. There was a bloke testing them a month or two ago on the "Cobb BBQ UK" facebook forum. I think also you can buy them from Germany as well. I haven't used them as I prefer my charcoal Cobb.

VanWolf

Free Member
Nov 17, 2018
Alyth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8 years
Have used a Cob on the road for the last 6 years and now occasionally at home. Everything from whole roast chicken, griddled meat and fish to home made Pizza. Using the right plates and grids it is excellent for a lot of things and don't need gas as we are all diesel.

Paul1958

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
Tavira, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Hi, I have only used them a couple of times. Got the info from "Cobb BBQ UK" facebook page. Was in my motorhome last week, cooked an Aldi ready meal (Hunter's Chicken). Lovely job. Then next day, as I like V rare steaks, used remainder of chafing gel tin and another tin (at same time) with the griddle plate and cooked 2 sirloins. I have a thermometer going through one of the cobb roof vents and I was getting 230c. I normally use the Aussie heat beads. The gel is a clean burn, no washing up and my woman (mrs bloodhound) and I can't smell any chemicals. I see you have a working cocker. I have one as well. Elvis on my left on the photo.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back