Jul 23, 2018
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Romahome Hylo
Exp
Since 2016
Hello!

Can I ask of your experiences to help me with a decision please?

So, I have a small coachbuilt Romahome camper which I love.

I would love even more to have a van conversion with the pop up roof that you can sleep in.

My question is about heat/cold.

My last experience when in about 23 degree heat, I could quite happy go into the camper for an afternoon snooze without being over heated (the van having been in full sun all day, windows open with blinds closed on sunny side).

How would this compare to a camper conversion I wonder?

If I slept in the roof would I be sweltering after about half an hour of the sun coming up?

If I slept ‘downstairs’ with the roof closed would that afford me the same insulated luxury of the Romahome?

And conversely would I freeze in the winter (the Romahome is comfortable in winter too with very little heating)?

A lot of my trips are for catching up on sleep and so I spend a lot of time lounging around inside the van!

I’ve love to hear your opinions and experiences to help me to decide.

Thank you!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A pop-top won't provide the same heat/cold insulation that a rigid body one will so if that's important to you then a rigid roof one would be your best bet and that actually opens up a lot more choice as there are more of them about than pop-tops.

It depends on budget and what size and kit you want in it as to what to go for so if you can give a little bit more info we might be able to suggest suitable ones.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have a PVC and it's dark silver, so it gets very hot inside. Easy enough to cool down by opening doors & windows. (I chose not to have roof vent(s) in my van, to keep it simple, but that is probably a better way of keeping a van cool)

For heating, I have a diesel heater and generally only use it for a short time to warm the van up, once warm it tends to stay warm.

As for a poptop, as far as I'm concerned you might as well sleep in a tent. That said, they do allow you to stand up in the van.

I had a VW T5 and wanted more room, the Peugeot Boxer I now have gives me much more space, especially the ability to stand up in the van, but at less than 5.5m it is also my daily drive.
There can be issues with height restrictions in car parks, but I have no found it a problem.

In my case, I chose to buy a van & have it converted to my specification , but there are a lot of good MoHos out there 'ready made'

Hope this helps....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
JCloth

JCloth

Free Member
Jul 23, 2018
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Romahome Hylo
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you Minxy Girl and Nasher.

Am I understanding correctly Nasher that if the roof was left closed then heat and cold-wise it would be the same as a coach built MH?

One big factor is that it needs to fit in my garage which is why I’m thinking a conversion would be the only way to go. ...... I could hopefully fit 2.1m high and 5.5m long which rules out any fixed tops.

I do love the Romahome but it would be fantastic to be able to stand up, have front swivel seats, storage not under the seats AND have the same insulation!

I don’t ask for much do I…..?!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You don't want a pop top roof with the fabric sides if insulation is important to you, they are basically just a warm, dry weather summer van. If you need more space to for a 5.4 metre all steel PVC.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you Minxy Girl and Nasher.

Am I understanding correctly Nasher that if the roof was left closed then heat and cold-wise it would be the same as a coach built MH?

One big factor is that it needs to fit in my garage which is why I’m thinking a conversion would be the only way to go. ...... I could hopefully fit 2.1m high and 5.5m long which rules out any fixed tops.

I do love the Romahome but it would be fantastic to be able to stand up, have front swivel seats, storage not under the seats AND have the same insulation!

I don’t ask for much do I…..?!

I want the World and I want it NOW - and why not? :)

A poptop when down shouldn't be too bad in terms of insulation - so that gives you the opportunity of standing up in the van for cooking etc, and leaving it up/sleeping in it when it's warm & taking it down if it's cold - a bit/lot of a flaff.
I have a mate who had a poptop Mazda Bongo, he was on a paragliding holiday in Annecy when the thunderstorms arrived, he had to rapidly get the poptop down and sleep on the floor. Like I say, as far as I'm concerned, you might as well sleep in a tent than a poptop. (The Mazda Bongo, may suit, but they are grey imports and all getting a bit long in the tooth now.)

Also, given your garage height, if you want to go down the poptop ruote will need a very low profile poptop for most vans. A VW T5 is 1.97m high without a poptop, Vivaro's & there ilk are a little bit taller - so you need a bigger garage! I'm guessing that there is no room at your house for parking other than a garage.

Most vans you can stand up in are at least 2.5m tall, so bigger garage, poptop or you could cut your legs off!

'Compromise' is the word that applies to every motorhome, you will need to decide what you're prepared to compromise on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Our solid roof PVC is dark grey so one of the worst colours for attracting heat. But with roof vents open it's not bad and we have not struggled to sleep in it.
In the daytime it can be kept cooler than a coach built as the back and side doors let lots of air circulate the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back