Co-Pilot, MASSIVELY unimpressed (understatement) - it is GARBAGE. (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Another Dusseldorf view many of us recognise.

1571322108959.png

Taken from Google Earth, but not sure how old it is.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Without wishing to sound cocky, the method I use as posted above, takes us to exactly where we are headed Tony. ;) Using Google Street View, allows me to view the approach and entrance at my destination, if it's not one I have been to before. (y)

Back to the Xgody 886 then, with 2019 maps and .tfr files. ;)

Cheers,

Upgraded to the Xgody X4 now and that seems a good way to go. At the moment.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Upgraded to the Xgody X4 now and that seems a good way to go. At the moment.
I bought similar from AliExpress, but with a built in dash cam.
I have to say, I'm very impressed with it (y) though I did change the mapping from TomTom to HERE, which I find much better. :)

Like TheHat Bill who also has one, I too bought a new and stronger mounting bracket, as the 9" unit seems to be too heavy for the bracket supplied, compared to the lighter 7" units. :(

Cheers,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi,

I have collected and tried each and every make and model of Sat Nav, over the years, and as of yet have never found a replacement that could lace the boots of my trusty and highly configurable Garmin 7500 which in the end became a little too old to update to current maps.

In fact, I would say I've got an obsession with them (hence the numerous Aguri, Snooper, Garmin, Android units, etc that I've sold recently in the classifieds to thin my collection out).

I had previously tried Co-Pilot (iOS - probably 8 years ago), and didn't really get on with it.

After, reading some glowing reviews of the current version, I decided to give it another whirl a couple of months ago, and after being impressed with the initial trial configurability on my phone I tested it on an Android tablet and later registered to the full Caravan / Motorhome version (as it seemed perfect, trial routing seemed great, and moreso for me, it would display all my own specific POI's on a journey, and allow me to view them "en route" which was a great feature).

Fast forward to the past few days, and it has been nothing short of useless in France. It is taking me down totally unsuitable routes, no matter what vehicle dimension / weight settings I choose.

It has had my nerves shot on more than the odd occasion due to the totally unsuitable routing (taking me down alleyways for 300 yards, only to rejoin the main carriageway I left for absolutely zero gain). I also narrowly averted it taking me through a very narrow ford crossing. Not ideal in a 5.1ton Van.

No matter what changes I make to the routing options or vehicle. It still stitches me up every time.

I have had to admit defeat as Google maps on standard car settings picks far more suitable routes (we have taken to running this alongside it, such is my distrust in the routing).

My advice, as somebody who has tried more than my fair share would be to avoid it like the plague. IT IS ABSOLUTELY GARBAGE, and as a Motorhome specific Sat Nav (to be used abroad), I would argue that it is totally unfit for purpose.
Good old fashioned map for my co-pilot works for us. Just think what fun will be had by being a passenger in a fully autonomous self driving car.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
I bought similar from AliExpress, but with a built in dash cam.
I have to say, I'm very impressed with it (y) though I did change the mapping from TomTom to HERE, which I find much better. :)

Like TheHat Bill who also has one, I too bought a new and stronger mounting bracket, as the 9" unit seems to be too heavy for the bracket supplied, compared to the lighter 7" units. :(

Cheers,

Just discovered that the screen will not calibrate properly, so I end up having difficulty keying in two letters, which cuts down the number of places I can navigate too.?

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Just discovered that the screen will not calibrate properly, so I end up having difficulty keying in two letters, which cuts down the number of places I can navigate too.?
Now returned and waiting for another to arrive. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My Garmin did its best "Let's see how we can get you annoyed" ever yesterday.
All the way over the border from Spain to France on the Peage, it said, Turn off at jnt. 7 for Anglet.
Did as instructed, turned off the A63, paid my dues and got the roundabout to be told, "Take the 4th exit " back the way we've come!!! and leave the southbound at Jnt 6!!!

Yes, I could have said Bow Locks or some such similar and taken the 3rd of the roundabout and made her try again, but I was that banjaxed I did as I was told.

To add insult to financial injury, it cost me another €1 to use the same bit of road I'd just travelled on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back