May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Must have been something I said...

Seriously I can't get on with it at all seems very flaky. When entering co ords, in any format, it just dont work. Do the same on google earth, it works.

So.... whats the best sat nav App you can download for an android tablet? What do you folks use THAT WORKS!!

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Last year I used a chinese truck nav was pretty good to be honest. This year I used copilot and used Google maps alongside it for comparison. I had co pilot on a nexus 7 and Google maps on my phone neither are faultless both wanted to take different routes at times.

One time looking for site I couldn't enter address in co pilot for so I used routing on maps me and that was fantastic. I wander if there is a perfect sat Nov I am sure I have tried Navmii also but can't remember how it performed.

OP
OP
Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
I got a nexus 7, most of the time co pilot cant find the address or co-ords, decimal or old fashioned mins and secs. has a habit of crashing too. what was that chinese sat nav? Xgody

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I personally wouldn't write co-pilot off just yet. One of the best navigation apps available and personally prefer to standalone units.

With regards to coordinates especially if your using the ones from google maps, e.g. 58.01617, -6.9101. From the input coordinates menu select the top option 'decimal degrees'. Once there you can copy and paste, longitude box '58.01617' and latitude box '6.9101' but you need to make sure you delete the minus if pasting from google.

I used this method whilst touring the highlands and was very effective.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've been using Co-pilot since May in France using both place names and co-ordinance with out problem. I don't usually use my Garmin sat nav due to its clunky working- recalculating route and searching satellite- anyway the only time the Co-pilot route has not been ideal is when I've not checked the route options. So stick with it.

OP
OP
Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
nope still done work when i put in co ords in decimal degrees from google earth always says place does not exist. that's lat and long. where am i going wrong? anyone know?

OP
OP
Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
can you guys try this? Lat: 50.782883° Long: 1.971362° did it work for you? plus bonus prize, this is a lovely little stop for night near calais

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
How about this
IMG_1931.PNG
When do I get my prize.
You have to select "E" on the long cor.
If it's "W" it takes you to 25 Marley Gardens Wimborne

OP
OP
Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Sussed it... deleted and re installed... set lat and long to N and E in co ords... entered decimal degrees from google maps. works! Thanks all for your patience!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I've been using CoPilot for 3 years and never had a problem with coordinates.

However, you do need to make sure you get +/- correct on the longitudinal coordinates, as previously discussed.

Going east from the Greenwich meridian use "+". Going west from the Greenwich meridian use "-". So, most of the UK is "-", most of France is "+" and most of Spain is "-". All of Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Italy are "+".

Don't give up on CoPilot, it is an exceptional resource, in my view. It just needs a bit of acclimation to get the best out of it.

Edit, for "+" set to East and for "-" set to West.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Thanks Wagoneer, best explanation of co ords yet, re installed co pilot and will get used to her. Thanks!

And don't forget to use Emily for voice directions - she's a lovely girl and very precise in her diction, some may say a bit OTT, haha !!!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We are trying it also. It was a case of having to a few weeks ago when entering Germany and TomTom suddenly decided there is no Germany now! We'd been using both in tandem to try Co-Pilot out and now it's our GPS of choice.

Anyone know how to put Camper Contact on as POIs? We have them on TomTom and that's very useful.

Thanks.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
You shouldn't need to. Whilst in the Campercontact app coose navigate to and one of the options shoul be whatever sat nav app you have on the same device. Works everytime with my Sygic
Sadly co-pilot is not yet supported in this way

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Sadly co-pilot is not yet supported in this way

In 2015 I used to be able to get the Acsi app to sync with CoPilot, but this year it doesn't want to do it.

I thought perhaps it was the Acsi 2016 app that was preventing this. However, it's probably more likely to be changes to the android OS.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I've been using it for almost a year now and it seems fine. It did freeze on me once in the last few weeks though Emily kept going with audible directions until the screen caught up with itself.

I would imagine any fault with it could only be where human input is required and then down here in France selecting Easting or Westing would be the most likely cause for error.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Install 'here' maps for free then campercontact recognises that.

@Hellski
Thanks @Welsh girl, I'll take a look at 'here' maps.

As well as co-pilot, I also have NAVIGON app which is supported by camper contact but personally I much prefer the user interface of co-pilot.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I like to use my iPad as our navigation device and unfortunately here maps seems to be currently unsupported for this device(n)

• Can I use HERE WeGo on my iPad?
    For now, HERE WeGo is designed to work with mobile phone screens. We’re always evolving and improving our products and are looking at ways to make HERE WeGo work for tablet screens as well.

OP
OP
Camping Gaza

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Thanks Chaser, I wondered what the heck "Here" meant!! ha ha. I was thinking "Where?" maps??? total confusion on my part :doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back