C'mon Happy Autotrail Owners. (2 Viewers)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We have a 2011 Comanche which we have had since it was new. Like Knockinonabit we had all the same problems he had. The difference seems to be the dealer, we bought it from Elite Motorhomes near Banbury and they have sorted out the problems for us without fuss or bother. I think Autotrail do have some quality issues as the same faults keep cropping up between owners with the same vans. My worry is that after April we will become liable to pay to put the faults right, I hope they have all been found by then!

I mean this in the nicest possible way, honestly. :winky:

I'm glad I'm not the only one because I was beginning to think it was just me. :restmycase:

::bigsmile:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
autotrail Tracker 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Followtheox Link Removed
We have a 2011 Comanche which we have had since it was new. Like Knockinonabit we had all the same problems he had. The difference seems to be the dealer, we bought it from Elite Motorhomes near Banbury and they have sorted out the problems for us without fuss or bother. I think Autotrail do have some quality issues as the same faults keep cropping up between owners with the same vans. My worry is that after April we will become liable to pay to put the faults right, I hope they have all been found by then!

I mean this in the nicest possible way, honestly. :winky:

I'm glad I'm not the only one because I was beginning to think it was just me. :restmycase:

::bigsmile:

We bought our Tracker from Elite near Banbury.

Painless to deal with, they have sorted out all the major problems we have had. :thumb:

But the minor ones I have fixed my self.

As there has been lots of minor problems I would have been back to the dealer every week. :Sad:

But the odd time I have had to deal with Autotrail they have been good as gold. :thumb:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Followtheox Link Removed

We bought our Tracker from Elite near Banbury.

Painless to deal with, they have sorted out all the major problems we have had. :thumb:

But the minor ones I have fixed my self.

As there has been lots of minor problems I would have been back to the dealer every week. :Sad:

But the odd time I have had to deal with Autotrail they have been good as gold. :thumb:

This post sort of reinforces what I am fighting against.

There have been problems, both major and minor, and instead of kicking up a stink about it, chose to fix the minor ones yourself.

If it had been a new car or washing machine etc. would you have fixed the faults yourself ? I bet you would have been straight back to the supplier to get it sorted.

I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out why the motorhome industry get away with it. Nearly everyone on this thread who says that they are happy also says they had faults. We don't complain long and loud enough to the industry and anyone else who will listen. It's a British thing. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
This post sort of reinforces what I am fighting against.

There have been problems, both major and minor, and instead of kicking up a stink about it, chose to fix the minor ones yourself.

If it had been a new car or washing machine etc. would you have fixed the faults yourself ? I bet you would have been straight back to the supplier to get it sorted.

I'm not having a go at you, just pointing out why the motorhome industry get away with it. Nearly everyone on this thread who says that they are happy also says they had faults. We don't complain long and loud enough to the industry and anyone else who will listen. It's a British thing. :Doh:

I know you are not having a dig at me, please don't worry about that:

I generally leave the motorhome at the for them to sort it out. Time I get a mate to collect me and pay his and my fuel, buy them lunch etc.

It costs the thick end of a £100 by the time I get it back.

If I fix it at home it cost nothing. Usually just putting some proper fixings in place of a Autotrail 1/2" long self tapping screw.

As far as I can remember the dealer fixed the dodgy Fridge and heating, broken sat nav and SOG system. I did the rest.

Just common sense really. :thumb::thumb:

But you are right as I have took my VW caddy back so many times since I bought it (its fairly local and only costs a couple of quid for each trip and technically the problem was beyond me).

We Brit's do not complain enough :thumb::thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well I liken it to a house, a house that I regularly "pick up and shake" A house that not only has 220 volt electrics, but 12 volt electrics as well, not only 12 volt electrics, but habitation 12 volt electrics and chassis 12 volt electrics, and it had batteries and gas bottles that a house doesn't have, the house that doesn't get picked up and rattled and shaken.

Undeniably, things break, things shake loose, things need fixing. I am happy and I expect to squirt a bit of oil here, and a bit of silicone grease there. I am also happy to, and expect to tighten up the odd screw.

I do not agree that if you buy a car you don't get trouble. Try buying Mercs! Merc will mess you around no end, and their service department is hopeless. I have had several German luxury cars and they've all had problems and the service has been no better than the type we regularly read about on the forums to be honest, the difference is that on a Merc forum you don't read "if I'd spent £100K on a camper, I wouldn't get this problem!"

We have just taken delivery of a new Merc 2014 long wheelbase high top van circa £35K empty for a project. Just buying it from the dealer was fraught enough, but they actually "lost it" for three days between the docks and the dealership!

My Mother in Law has had three Autotrail's which I end up looking after and to be honest, given how little the current one actually gets used, it's great. We changed the heating lightly to give an air curtain around the rear fixed bed as MIL thought that the wall got cold at night, we installed good motorhome security (obviously lol :winky: ) satellite TV and a Fantastic Fan Vent in the bathroom to help with condensation which is MIL's fault as she makes coffee all day and never ventilates the van!

If I was in the market for a European motorhome I would consider Autotrail and not be put off if the layout was suitable.

Eddie

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
:thumb:
Well I liken it to a house, a house that I regularly "pick up and shake" A house that not only has 220 volt electrics, but 12 volt electrics as well, not only 12 volt electrics, but habitation 12 volt electrics and chassis 12 volt electrics, and it had batteries and gas bottles that a house doesn't have, the house that doesn't get picked up and rattled and shaken.

Undeniably, things break, things shake loose, things need fixing. I am happy and I expect to squirt a bit of oil here, and a bit of silicone grease there. I am also happy to, and expect to tighten up the odd screw.

I do not agree that if you buy a car you don't get trouble. Try buying Mercs! Merc will mess you around no end, and their service department is hopeless. I have had several German luxury cars and they've all had problems and the service has been no better than the type we regularly read about on the forums to be honest, the difference is that on a Merc forum you don't read "if I'd spent £100K on a camper, I wouldn't get this problem!"

We have just taken delivery of a new Merc 2014 long wheelbase high top van circa £35K empty for a project. Just buying it from the dealer was fraught enough, but they actually "lost it" for three days between the docks and the dealership!

My Mother in Law has had three Autotrail's which I end up looking after and to be honest, given how little the current one actually gets used, it's great. We changed the heating lightly to give an air curtain around the rear fixed bed as MIL thought that the wall got cold at night, we installed good motorhome security (obviously lol :winky: ) satellite TV and a Fantastic Fan Vent in the bathroom to help with condensation which is MIL's fault as she makes coffee all day and never ventilates the van!

If I was in the market for a European motorhome I would consider Autotrail and not be put off if the layout was suitable.

Eddie

I understand what you are saying and agree, to a point.
Squirting grease and oil and silicone around and generally looking after a vehicle has never been a problem for me. Up until fairly recently I used to do the majority of my own repairs. Health and can't be bothered greatly reduced what I am prepared to do these days. General maintenance is still ok.
My gripe is not with the things that have been shaken about in a mobile house and damaged, it is with the things that were wrong before it was used. I accept that stuff breaks and rattles about. That's why we have a million or so tea towels stuffed all over the place.
The main things that are/were wrong, gas locker door, habitation lights, waste drain taps, broken door blind, cracked habitation door handle surround, swarfe in the tanks, reversing camera cutting out, were like that before the MH was used. Some are still not fixed.
Eddie, all I am doing is trying to get the things that I paid for to work as they should and get the dealer/manufacturer to accept their responsibility to make sure it is fixed.
Surely not too much to ask ?

PS I don't think I said that if you have a new car you don't get trouble. :thumb:

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Autotrail

So the Autotrail saga goes on, we have had three Autotrails, Started with a 2001 Cheyenne 634 on a Merc chassis with the auto box, brilliant M/H which lead us to buy an Arapaho which for us was our dream M/H big and comfortable inside, massive amounts of storage the 3 ltr engine which we had re-mapped gave us 27mpg on the motorway, unfortunately the reverse gear judder was a nightmare and after having it all checked out by Fiat they told us there was nothing they could do about it.

So we traded it in for a new Apache 634U made the mistake of getting the 2.3L engine it`s ok on the flat but get to an incline and it`s down the box and struggling also not as good on fuel as the Arapaho.
As for the build quality well it`s all smoke and mirrors, looks fantastic with the all led lighting, the big window over the cab and the very modern looking bathroom.
Truth is you can`t close the loo door if sat on the loo, we aren`t the tallest of people, all the interior cupboard doors and wardrobe doors are flimsy and cheap, one wardrobe door fell off driving home from the dealers, the kitchen unit door did the same on our second trip an over tightening of the screws they just fell out.
All the overhead locker led lights failed, the micro wave oven went on fire on it`s first use, 9 secs on full power.
Two of the habitation door hinge pins fell out, the super radio nav system is a waste of space, it doesn`t have the facility to upload the phone contacts.
Underneath the van, there are numerous holes in the flooring to allow pipes and various wiring through, rather large holes considering the diameter of the pipe or wires, they have been sealed with a black sealant, we must have had Stevie Wonder doing ours as none of the holes were sealed even those right in front of the rear wheels, none of the black sealant had made a seal some had slipped down the pipe, luckily I`m fit enough to be able to get underneath and apply a decent sealer to protect the flooring, somebody not so able would have had a major problem.
In the rear storage locker there is an led light, it just sits unprotected on two flimsy plastic clips, one of which was broken when we picked the M/H up, That’s` going to have to be re fitted somewhere to protect it from whatever you load in there.
We wrote to Mr D.G. Thomas a Joint Managing Director at Autotrail describing all the faults we found on our 3 month old Apache and he didn`t even have the common decency to reply.
This appears to be consistent with what others owners have experienced with Autotrails` customer care, amazing that a brand new motorhome straight out of the factory can have so many faults, a real shame as we love the layout of the Apache but feel the build quality is below poor and that the only quality control has been us the owners.
I would point out that the dealers Premier Motorhomes in Chichester have been excellent and I would buy from them again, don`t think it will be another Autotrail, we paid Autotrail £53.000 none of which we are certain would have been sent back from the bank of England as faulty, how poor that Autotrail can`t boast the same about their motorhomes.

pollykettle

Free Member
May 20, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
my lovely auto trail cheyenne

We have had our auto trail 2 years love it lots of space and lovely and warm.

Attachments

• 20130927_170324.jpg
    20130927_170324.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 12

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
but isnt that same with most new things today, made to a price not to a standard.

Tilerdon

Free Member
Jun 10, 2013
Boston, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Returning but really a newbie
We bought our '08 Cheyenne 740S just a year ago and 3 days after purchase we set off for Spain and did 3000 miles on our first trip out. She never missed a beat. We have just done a 2000 mile trip around Scotland but on our last day the dreaded fuel filter problem hit us and we ended up coming home in a hire car and the MoHo on a transporter. It wasn't Autotrail's fault but an error by the Commercial Vehicle Service station where we had it serviced before the trip.

In future I will adopt the same attitude I have with cars in the past and if it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it. I'll change the oil and other NECESSARY filters and let the MOT highlight anything else that may need doing

So happy with it we are thinking of buying a new one - regardless of what we have heard from some

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have a Tracker EK SE. Also very pleased with it although we are about to change it for a FB to make life easier. Would have another Autotrail if I can find one the right length (y)

Martin OSullivan

Free Member
Sep 7, 2013
Hornchurch Essex
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Self Built
Exp
This is my 1996 Chieftain, 18 years old next month. First ever motorhome so nothing to compare it with but overall im happy with it, lots done and lots still to do but that's to be expected for a classic (can I call it that yet?)

Attachments

• IMG_3544.JPG
    IMG_3544.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 10
Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
We have a Autotrail Tracker 06 we wanted a small van with a separate shower its only 19.2. we bought it 18 month ago from camper uk.got a good part X so far nothing has dropped off or broke.just changed all tyres.we love it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Autotrail

So we traded it in for a new Apache 634U made the mistake of getting the 2.3L engine it`s ok on the flat but get to an incline and it`s down the box and struggling also not as good on fuel as the Arapaho.

We have got the 2.3 engine on our Scout and I suppose it is a little under powered . Trouble is I didn't have the money to go for the 3.0. automatic version.

When I get to a hill now I change down early and get the revs high rather than just change down when it starts to struggle. That seems to kick the turbo into action or something and I have had no problems on hills. I am often changing back up to 5th before the top of the hill.

The engine though isn't really an Autotrail issue. I had the same engine in my last van ( Burstner) which I had from new.

As I have posted before, I had many more niggly faults with that van than with my current van.

I remain a very happy Autotrail owner with a layout that suits us down to the ground.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We just did 5,000 miles in our new Tracker which we got at the start of March and it never missed a beat. However, we did have a few faults, one of the tensioning strings snapped on the hab door flyscreen. The fridge gas outlet was angled towards the body and not out of the vent , so it distorted the grille. The grey waste tank readout went into warning "full" mode, so I had to disconnect the plug. The radio turned on when reverse was engaged. But, we are delighted with the van and the layout, trim, and extras etc have made it a great experience.. good luck nockinonabit.. Mitch and Jen.. PS We also like the idea of the SOG fitted below the loo that extracts "nasty miffs" to underneath the van..

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our van is 24 years old! A 1990 Apache. It just works! We eat and sleep and live very happily in here, we love it. We are a week in to a very extended trip across France and Spain, and can't fault the Motorhome!

To still be working so well after 24 years shows it's quality and also how well built and thought out it was. Very happy! :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Still early days for us and the new to us 2007 Chieftain, but so far, apart from the stupid bloody wiring, we have been very pelased indeed with it (y)

Oh.. forgot..
We cannot sit in our loo either !! Far FAR too small even for the little woman !!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Interesting to read Jaws comment about the size of the loo:)
I wanted to go for a Chieftain, but Margaret said, "it's too big (lengthwise) let's go for something a bit shorter". So we ended up going for the Dakota and she has the same gripe about the size of the loo........I don't have a problem with it, it must be a female thing:RollEyes:

However, we have a 2007 Dakota and have since noticed that the 2008 model has a slightly bigger loo:doh:as they have taken out the shelved clothing cupboard to the left of the wardrobe which gives a bit more room in the loo.
Apart from this small problem we love it, it is so much more comfy and better insulated than our previous van.
Bill

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
We have a Scout on a 06 plate. Had it 2 years and really pleased with it. Fitted 2 solar panels and 2 extra batteries so can camp anywhere. We think the quality of the interior fixings are superb. They have certainly stood up to the test of constant use. Many a time during the winter we are the only ones on a site with snow outside. The van is cosy and warm. Wish Autotrail did the fully winterised version as we are keen skiers.
Had the van remapped when we first got it so plenty of power. We tow a Smart car on an A frame and forget it's there until I look in the mirror. I'm a man that takes the daily paper to the loo and believe me I find the one fitted in our van nice and comfy. No open doors as plenty of room and a nice warm vent blowing to keep me warm.
Overall for a van that's is used a lot it all works well. Really happy with the build quality.

Jul 21, 2013
Vienne France
Funster No
MH
VW T4 & MC LOUIS 671
Exp
2013 / 2004
We purchased our first MH in oct 2012 a 1999 Autotrail Cheyanne 590 we were maid up with the quality and how easy it was to drive we were settled with her and was not thinking of changing .
While visiting a well known shop and motorhome dealer for some bits and bobs made the bad move of going for a look around at the vans seen as we were there and came across an Autotrail Apache 700se went inside and fell in love with the layout and style. After that we couldn't settle with the 590 as we wanted a rear lounge.
fast forward to April this year while picking some supplies up at the same dealer we were alerted to an 2004 Autotrail Apache 700se that was coming in to stock and we snapped it up :) picked her up 30th of May. I cant imagine going for anything else we both so impressed with Autotrail motorhomes.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We bought a 2011 Arapaho a year ago with 8000 miles on the clock. This is our first MH and everything is new to us. Brownhills didn't excel as a dealer and we got really frustrated trying to get snags fixed, to the point that you give up if as we do you live 100 miles from the dealer!

We haven't had the freedom to use the vehicle frequently in the last 12 months but had one week away last year after buying it and another this May, which was a dry run for our 4-week long jaunt throughout Germany which we have just come back from. We have been delighted with the vehicle. We have the 3 litre engine and it has plenty of power and we achieved 24.5 to the gallon over 2250 miles. We absolutely love the fact that the lounge can be used as a massive bed and there is good amount of storage over the cab and in the boot although the boot could be larger or at least have larger access doors.

All in all we were really impressed by our experience, the build quality and comfort and ease or driving. I would not be put off by the niggles (yes the fresh water tank says it is empty when you know it is 50% full!!! and that bloody alarm that sounds to tell you errrrrr). Don't be put off these are fantastic beasts.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It's a long one I'm afraid :)

I was really patient when looking for a motorhome - my first. I visited the NEC for 3 shows, surfed the net, looked on YouTube and went to rallies and chatted to lots of people with motorhomes too :)

I often take my disabled friend away with me, so the layout had to suit both her needs for dressing and mine when I'm away on my own and in my future life. Her wheelchair folds nicely flat and slips under the fixed bed via the outside garage access - perfect

In the end I came up with my list:
Must have a separate shower.
Lounge layout had to allow for me to stretch out with a book, doze on, or be comfy while I watched the TV. Also had to allow for my friend to be able to dress and do her hair etc. important for the ladies, but doubly important if you're caring for someone with MS.
Fixed bed - I did originally think that I wanted a rear lounge, but I changed my mind later for the fixed bed and very happy that I did too. Nothing wrong of course with a rear lounge, I just wouldn't need that much room and I didn't want to make up and down the bed every day.
I wanted an over cab sleeper - for guests and then as a means of storage. This was a great move and I couldn't imagine being in a low line now, as the extra space is so useable for so many things.
Wanted alloy wheels.
Wanted the door on the UK left kerb side.
Wanted the fixed awning.
The loo was a must of course.
The kitchen had to have the grill and oven and the hob and I needed lots of space as I like to cook and roast in her too. The sink needed a drainer (so many new motorhomes don't have a drainer and such little workspace too) and plenty of workspace , which I have.
I knew the heating I wanted and the learnt about the water heater etc and made sure I did all my homework.
It was then that I knew I wanted the Auto-Trail Dakota and knew I wanted the SE with the extras it gave you.

I had a budget of £30K so looked pretty hard around the market and there were only 2 available and both were on the market at £34999, so over budget, but I'd cope. One was at a dealers in Southampton and the other a private sale in Essex. I was originally put off by the Essex one as the pictures showed it in the forecourt of a used car lot, so opted to go to the dealers first. How wrong was my assumption.

Dealers van was on a 2006 plate, had 36000 miles on it and came with nothing in the way of extras, not even a microwave. I enquired as to what I would be getting for the £35K and was told a habitation check. I asked about a service and was told it didn't need one, but I should consider changing the timing belt. I asked if they would do it as I couldn't believe that they would sell me a motorhome for £35K without it being done. I was surprised to be told that they'd do it, but charge me for it. Couldn't believe that, as if he'd have said he'd have done it beforehand I think I would have shook on it. So now my backs up slightly. I'm in uniform, I'm a electro and mechanical engineer and enquired that they would be happy to sell me the motorhome and technically I could drive up the road and the belt could go at the next lights and that would be acceptable. I then told the sales chappie I would be viewing another in Essex before making my mind up and would then let him know.

I drove to Essex and was glad I did. I met 2 of the most wonderful, honest, loveliest people ever, who were heartbroken to be selling their pride and joy. The motorhome was perfect!! Also a 2006 and had only covered 11000 miles, had a satellite system, a solar panel, 3 cycle rack, DVD player in the dash, lots of extras, power leads, mats etc. 2 large leisure batteries and an immaculate interior. Dishes, cutlery, bedding, quilts, towels and pots and pans were also thrown in, as was a number of laminated "to do" lists for plugging in and packing up etc.

I spent the best part of 3 hours with them, chatting through life, motorhoming, their beautiful house and finally shook on a deal of £31k for the motorhome. One very happy bunny :)

One thing they did mention, was that while I was travelling to see the motorhome, they had received a call from a dealer in Southampton, who offered to give them a price on their motorhome, as he had a sale that they wanted to push through - cheeky blighters, or good business, who knows, but they said not a chance and we sealed the deal.

So I got my dream motorhome, saved some pennies in the process, loved every second of being away in her and couldn't imagine being without it now.

Mileage is now 17000+ I'm averaging 25.7 mpg

Sorry it's such a long post, but there it is, warts and all as they say. If you've got to this point and are still awake

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
We've got an Apache 632 09 plate. Only bought in April but so far very happy with it. Already done 2000 miles .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back