CMNAV Sat Navs (1 Viewer)

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I've been using the CMNAV 360 without live traffic since before COVID started. I must say that I am very pleased with the unit. I was a bit suspicious at first as I saw them advertising on Facebook, and it's full of scammers out there. I am very impressed with the items, especially that they're half the price of a big brand like TomTom or Garmin and it did an excellent job around Cornwall, or even France, Spain and Portugal over the last couple of years.

I had a few issues with updating the unit, but Christian sent me all the necessary info to update the unit (a video tutorial + the download link for the maps) and I managed to sort it out within 1 hour, and I am not even a computer guy. It's a pretty straightforward job. He even offered to update it himself for free, if I sent the unit back, but ultimately I've managed to do it myself.

Material-wise, the unit is on the cheap side, but the software is brilliant. I must say I am truly impressed with the speed I received support even on a Sunday afternoon, whenever I encountered an issue. I had cheaper sat navs from eBay and Amazon, but once they took my money, the seller didn't bother to help me out, so I ended up buying a new one every couple of years when maps became irrelevant.

I am now considering upgrading to the live-traffic model, as it may be useful at times, and keep the existing one as a spare.

I thought that people who are in doubt about which sat nav to purchase may consider my experience useful. I am very pleased with my purchase, and I can even watch Netflix while we're pitched via Wi-Fi Hot Spot, on this sat-nav, which saves my phone's battery, and I can benefit from a better view, due to its large 7-inch screen.

I also tried mobile phone sat nav apps, but most of them rely on an internet connection, and when you're abroad or in places without network coverage such as Lake District or such, these apps become useless...

Attachments

• 197654009_498415841398120_712107091689612799_n.jpg
    197654009_498415841398120_712107091689612799_n.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 93
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Excellent review and i agree with you.I found the back up service excellent.It is a what is classed as a cheapo compared to the leading brands but it is certainly better specced than the original chinese cheapos.I have mine as a back up and have been pleasantly surprised with it.Would be very interested in your thoughts of the traffic integrated version.

OP
OP
jono68

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Excellent review and i agree with you.I found the back up service excellent.It is a what is classed as a cheapo compared to the leading brands but it is certainly better specced than the original chinese cheapos.I have mine as a back up and have been pleasantly surprised with it.Would be very interested in your thoughts of the traffic integrated version.
Once I got one, I will come back with a review. As far as I could see from their videos, the software is more complex, but has a few added features which I could benefit of. Such as the big speedo dial which flashes red when you're speeding and more optimised routes due to traffic warnings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jono68

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Look good and may consider when my xgody gives up the ghost, but they are three times the price.
I thought the same, until I saw a head to head video they made between a random one from eBay and one of their units, and although you may say they are the same, the software that CMNAV uses is actually improved in terms of routing and restrictions.

This is that video I mentioned:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The CMVAV has a better, non reflective screen but otherwise seems very similar. My xgody is the 16Gb version and apart from the screen and possibly better hardware seems the same.
Traffic warnings are a plus worth having but price difference is still a lot.

OP
OP
jono68

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
The CMVAV has a better, non reflective screen but otherwise seems very similar. My xgody is the 16Gb version and apart from the screen and possibly better hardware seems the same.
Traffic warnings are a plus worth having but price difference is still a lot.
I don't disagree with you here, but I spent at least £400 over 3-to 4 years on "cheap" sat navs, including Xgody. Once the screen failed or other issues arise, I found it extremely difficult to reach the sellers (in some cases impossible, as on eBay or Amazon, sellers come and go, they are not in the same place), so most of the time I just ended up collecting pieces of brittle plastic in my shed, every few months.

All the units may share the same hardware, as they are all manufactured in China, but the cheap ones sold by Chinese sellers are as good just until something fails and you'll have to purchase a new one. Seems convenient as they're very cheap, but if you look at the big picture, the amount of stress you go through when the unit breaks down in the middle of nowhere and you can't ask anyone for support, or bad communication (takes a week to get a response, which is probably a generic script translated with Google), I would say that I'd happily pay the extra price.

As I said, I am not promoting these sat navs, it's just my personal opinion and my personal experience with them. These products aren't the cheapest on the market, but for what I got, I believe they deserve the money if I look back when I had a couple of Tom Toms, and they charged even more than top-spec ones of CMNAV (plus the live traffic feature wasn't even included in the price), yet customer service from Tomtom is way inferior, I must say. The only thing they have extra is the wi-fi map updates feature, but that takes forever if you're in an area with a bad network connection...

Jul 8, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
Since 2018
Hello,

I am considering a CMNAV system and have been watching the YouTube demos. Can anyone confirm these points please. The verbal instructions do NOT include the road number or name? It just says 'take the second left'. The road number or name just appear as labels on the screen?

Thanks

Stephen

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
No.If you select a TTS voice you will get announcements which will include the full name of the street or Road.

OP
OP
jono68

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hello,

I am considering a CMNAV system and have been watching the YouTube demos. Can anyone confirm these points please. The verbal instructions do NOT include the road number or name? It just says 'take the second left'. The road number or name just appear as labels on the screen?

Thanks

Stephen
As far as I'm aware, It's only the models with Android software that don't support this feature. The ones with Windows OS have TTS voice like someone said above, and these read street names out loud. These are usually the cheaper models, without wi-fi and traffic.
Personally, I don't mind having or not having this TTS voice, but if you think that is important for you, maybe you should look for the models without live traffic in this case.

OP
OP
jono68

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Thanks to all who replied.
You're welcome! By the way, they currently offer a £5 discount for all Motorhome and Caravan sat navs. The discount code is CAMPER5 (enter this at checkout).

OP
OP
jono68

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Are you bumping a thread that you claim you really are not “promoting these sat navs, it's just my personal opinion”

OP
OP
jono68

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Are you bumping a thread that you claim you really are not “promoting these sat navs, it's just my personal opinion”
This topic is related to GPS navigation. I shared my experience and since people who visit this topic may be interested in a decent sat nav, I see no problem in bumping this post. I did not say anything like "THE BEST IN THE WORLD, BUY NOW!" That would be promoting, in my opinion, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Based on your judgement, everyone who leaves a Google or Trust Pilot review to a product or business is directly affiliated with them, in that case.
However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect yours, therefore, I'm not going to launch a whole debate here.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
At MHF you’ve only posts about this Sat Nav.
Just be more open about your affiliation or find other topics to add some none CMNNAV posts to the quantity 🤷‍♂️

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back