LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
why did you remove the engine ?, managed to do mine with it in, as long as you get the front end high enough to drag the gear box and bell housing away.
Oh,, and you don't mind being layed on your back for ages.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
why did you remove the engine ?, managed to do mine with it in, as long as you get the front end high enough to drag the gear box and bell housing away.
Oh,, and you don't mind being layed on your back for ages.

With an X250 Ducato with a 3.0 engine?
You must show me how!

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I nearly boo booed. I misread the heading. I was going to suggest some antibiotics.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Good good, probably saved a fortune doing it your self, its always great to hear of better ways, than just replacing like for like. Some of the big converters could probably fit these before they leave the factory to save later breakdowns.
After all £400 is a very little in comparison to some of these big vans over 4 to 5 tons that usually have the bigger engine.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the info.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
did it with the one in the picture on the left, i too had read reports that the engine had to be removed on the 3.0.
But it's rubbish.
The hardest part was getting it jacked high enough so the bell housing cleared the bumper.
we removed the n/s engine mount and let the engine drop sideways. could probably even do it with the exhaust still connected.

also, took us ages to find the little 10 mm bolt holding the conversion plate to the engine, and it wouldn't let the bell housing come away.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The fleet of Mercedes ambulances that the Scottish Ambulance Service had with automated clutches didn't give a blink of trouble. I personally had a 2.7 wagon with this type of clutch which was eventually retired with over 400K on the clock & never had a clutch replaced! This was an "on-call' wagon which would sit outside with coating of ice & snow, started & then driven flat out within seconds. The Peugeot ambulance that they have now cannot go for a full week without a breakdown, the brakes catch fire, the clutches go & various suspension faults. The service are looking at scrapping them early due to poor reliability.
My paramedic daughter has strong views on ambulance base vehicles too :D.

I did say 'potential' and I wasn't referring to any particular make. The manufacturer must take a view on smoothed changes vs clutch life for any robotised manual because as I said the only mechanism available to the ECU is the clutch.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my 3.0 ltr clutch was changed with the engine in place in about 7 hours. as said remove nearside engine mount and lower, plus some of it was done via the nearside wheel arch with suspension dropped and plastic liner removed. but it was on a lift, not sat on the ground on a driveway

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Well, all finished by lunchtime, including a couple of other little jobs.
What a difference! well worth the effort & if Borg & Beck's claims are true, it should last about 450,000 miles.(y)
Would definately recomend this clutch kit to replace the Iveco (Yes they were Iveco, not Fiat Parts) Clutch & Dual Mass Rubbish.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
What a difference! well worth the effort & if Borg & Beck's claims are true, it should last about 450,000 miles.(y)
Would definately recomend this clutch kit to replace the Iveco (Yes they were Iveco, not Fiat Parts) Clutch & Dual Mass Rubbish.
Is it suitable with comfortmatics? I think most likely not

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Is it suitable with comfortmatics? I think most likely not

As far as I know it is the same clutch & flywheel set up, it's just a robotised clutch operating system.
Ring Borg & Beck & ask them, I found them very helpful, They wouldn't supply me direct but gave me a couple of local motor factors to choose from.

OP
OP
KUSKUS
Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
just a update on our clutch problems on our five comfortmatic buses, NOW SIX yes six out of the twenty two out of service, costing a fortune on hire buses.

syldale

Free Member
Dec 14, 2009
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
model
Exp
years
hi i was just wondering if you had any reverse judder & if so did it cure the judder its good to know there is an aftermarket job ( borg&beck ) which is better than the factory fitted crap but also that's the drawbacks of a remap you do get clutch slip pulling 6ton & that's being light footed no boy racer here wrong side of 66

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
hi i was just wondering if you had any reverse judder & if so did it cure the judder its good to know there is an aftermarket job ( borg&beck ) which is better than the factory fitted crap but also that's the drawbacks of a remap you do get clutch slip pulling 6ton & that's being light footed no boy racer here wrong side of 66

No, no reverse judder before or after. My 3 litre has also been remapped ( in persuit of economy, but the power is tremendous). Only drawback is a slight vibration between 1500 & 1800 rpm , but I,m more than happy to live with that for the overall benefits.

syldale

Free Member
Dec 14, 2009
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
model
Exp
years
No, no reverse judder before or after. My 3 litre has also been remapped ( in persuit of economy, but the power is tremendous). Only drawback is a slight vibration between 1500 & 1800 rpm , but I,m more than happy to live with that for the overall benefits.
hi thanks for your reply i will have fitted the Borg&beck when the time comes off in January for a few months (Portugal ) she slips ( for about 2 seconds ) at about 2000rpm when changing gears picking up speed like you said the power is tremendous especially up hill but i drop down to 5th & back in cruise never had any slip so i will just see how she goes my self i think its the pressure plate going weak & not the clutch plate just like yours because it doesn't slip when cold

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
hi thanks for your reply i will have fitted the Borg&beck when the time comes off in January for a few months (Portugal ) she slips ( for about 2 seconds ) at about 2000rpm when changing gears picking up speed like you said the power is tremendous especially up hill but i drop down to 5th & back in cruise never had any slip so i will just see how she goes my self i think its the pressure plate going weak & not the clutch plate just like yours because it doesn't slip when cold

Sounds like the symptoms I had. When you strip it out you will almost certainly find it's the DMF that's failing, as mine was.

syldale

Free Member
Dec 14, 2009
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
model
Exp
years
thanks again i think the dmf is the thing that makes the judder looking at the makeup of springs etc but the dmf was developed to stop the vibration so that why fitting a borg is a the down side

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back