Free Member
Jan 15, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
many years
Just thought i would pass on my results to a recent clutch problem. I have a 2005 2.8 JTD Ducato ( chieftain) and the clutch pedal developed a squeak ONLY WHEN THE HEATER WAS ON. This problem got worse and liberal squirting with wd40 did not resolve it. When the heater was off NO problem, heater back on squeak, as time went on the squeak got worse and the pedal did not return fully to the start position. Eventually with the heater on the pedal began to stick down to the floor and not return unless i hooked my foot under it and lifted it. Heater OFF squeak dissapeared and clutch returned fine.
At -5 degrees etc no heater is not an option.
I needed to isolate this problem to check wether it was the clutch assembly, slave cylinder or master cylinder. On a cold morning before starting the vehicle the pedal was noise and stick free. I put an electric fan heater on in the footwell and directed it at the clutch pedal...PRESTO noise and clutch stuck to the floor.

I ordered a new master cylinder and the local garage fitted it, upon removal the old unit had a broken internal spring and was floppy. The heater expanded the spring and jammed the cylinder.
New clinder NO problems.
Any squeakers out there take note.

OP
OP
F

Freespirit2011

Free Member
Jan 15, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
many years
I have to say many garages said it wat the clutch assembly and needed to be replaced, including main FIAT dealers.
Stick with your gut feelings!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back