Clutch problem 11,000 just had its service today, MOT passed flying colours June :( (1 Viewer)

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
:cry: 1 step forward 2 steps back this motorhome lark! Mot passed with flying colours, hab check booked in, clean booked in! Had its service today, my Dad drove it back to storage and he says he can't press the clutch in! Fiat Ducato 2.3 Autoroller 746 - 11,000 surely doesn't need a clutch replacement and seems so unfair didn't happen on way to service or there, now won't be safe to drive back to the garage. Not got any problems with the garage they have serviced all our vehicles for over a decade and they are straight up! What on earth could be wrong? 😕 😩🙈 - Super Duper Frustrating. Garage was closed by the time we got to the storage place

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there are a few threads you can search on the forum regarding Ducato clutch pedal problems, its worth a search and read up. from memory the clutch and brakes use the same hydraulic master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder is in a bit of an akward place.

this might be a start in the reading .. https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/458730-ducato-2-3-2009-clutch-problem.html
theres lots about this on tinternet.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
there are a few threads you can search on the forum regarding Ducato clutch pedal problems, its worth a search and read up. from memory the clutch and brakes use the same hydraulic master cylinder and the clutch slave cylinder is in a bit of an akward place.

this might be a start in the reading .. https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/458730-ducato-2-3-2009-clutch-problem.html
theres lots about this on tinternet.
You do realise that the use of SLAVE and MASTER could be taken the wrong way by Louis Hamilton and BLM and is also being banned by I think TWITTER.😁😁😁BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
This does not fill me with joy haha - lots of threads you say?? Thanks for the heads up, will have a look now - I can see the £££ before me 🤦‍♀️

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
:cry: 1 step forward 2 steps back this motorhome lark! Mot passed with flying colours, hab check booked in, clean booked in! Had its service today, my Dad drove it back to storage and he says he can't press the clutch in! Fiat Ducato 2.3 Autoroller 746 - 11,000 surely doesn't need a clutch replacement and seems so unfair didn't happen on way to service or there, now won't be safe to drive back to the garage. Not got any problems with the garage they have serviced all our vehicles for over a decade and they are straight up! What on earth could be wrong? 😕 😩🙈 - Super Duper Frustrating. Garage was closed by the time we got to the storage place
It is possible to drive the van to the garage without a clutch safely if you know what your doing..You need an old time driver..BUSBY.😁

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
This does not fill me with joy haha - lots of threads you say?? Thanks for the heads up, will have a look now - I can see the £££ before me 🤦‍♀️

it may not be that bad....:rolleyes: honest!!!

it could be something simple......

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
first check the fluid level in the reservoir, same as the brakes

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Ok so what did they actually do?. First rule is to check what has been changed. and have it double checked. Daft as it may seem. It wouldn't be the first time a spanner has been left and dropped to jamb operation. What age the Unit?. The 2007 I had, had a Clutch pack replaced @32K miles?

OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
It is possible to drive the van to the garage without a clutch safely if you know what your doing..You need an old time driver..BUSBY.😁

Well I wasn't there I was at work, but you can't press the clutch down at all apparently so not quite sure how we'd start off! We'll call the garage tomorrow see what they say

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had a clutch plate shatter on a ducato at 25k, the garage that fixed it said not the first they had seen. But if the pedal wont depress it is unlikely

OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
Ok so what did they actually do?. First rule is to check what has been changed. and have it double checked. Daft as it may seem. It wouldn't be the first time a spanner has been left and dropped to jamb operation. What age the Unit?. The 2007 I had, had a Clutch pack replaced @32K miles?

Thanks Pete ,- I was at work and it was left in the capable hands of the men in my life 🙃. Will ring the garage tomorrow as I said to hubby Andy would definitely say if he saw something wrong with the clutch so has something not been fitted back properly? Fingers crossed for tomorrow

OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
A daft question... Don't suppose there is anything stuck under the clutch pedal?

I mean as much as I ridicule my hubby and Dad even they must've checked this, surely (I may double check haha)????

The feedback I got was......hard to put into gear about half way back from the garage, got to the storage and now clutch won't press in at all 🤷‍♀️

OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp

Thanks, yep will get hubby to double check with the garage tomorrow am when they open. See if we can troubleshoot

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
A daft question... Don't suppose there is anything stuck under the clutch pedal?
I had that happen in France on a van some years ago..Drove about 50 miles without a clutch to our over night stop..Next morning fiddled about under the dash and found a peculiar shaped piece of hard rubber jammed in the pedal mechanism..Pulled it out and it was perfect. I was able to push the pedal down but it wasn't releasing the clutch.BUSBY.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
If the clutch can not be depressed at all it seems to me there is a lock formed by hydraulic oil.
The spool valve in the master cylinder/servo maybe the problem.
However it maybe just fluid level issues.
As said earlier the reservoir is common for clutch and brakes.
Slave cylinder failure does happen on Ducatos.
This means gearbox off to replace it.
Had one done last year, cost was around £900 (gulp).

OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
If the clutch can not be depressed at all it seems to me there is a lock formed by hydraulic oil.
The spool valve in the master cylinder/servo maybe the problem.
However it maybe just fluid level issues.
As said earlier the reservoir is common for clutch and brakes.
Slave cylinder failure does happen on Ducatos.
This means gearbox off to replace it.
Had one done last year, cost was around £900 (gulp).

Thanks for the advice Jake - I'm going to do a mechanics course at this rate - hate not knowing anything 😕

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Check the linkage under the bonnet to be sure nothing is wedged in.
that would be interesting, the slave cylinder is inside the gearbox bell housing. If that has failed it is false economy to just replace the slave, you would do the clutch too. No depression on the pedal is a mechanical blockage or the master cylinder (maybe just low on fluid)

OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
Soooooooo for anybody interested in the whole whats wrong with the clutch - brace yourselves :LOL:. It had got stuck down and both my Dad and Husband didn't think to try and lift it, then when the garage called to tell them to make sure it didn't need just lifting up (granted my hubby wasn't there then) my hubby said that deffo wasn't the case - ermmmm turns out that's exactly what was wrong :X3: After the garage came to the storage and lifted up the pedal :oops:. Don't know whether to laugh or cry, relieved there no ££££ involved but seriously the stupidity makes me think we'll just sleep in the storage facilities. My newbie post couldn't of been more accurate, blind leading the blinderer. Anyway hope its given you some sighs and laughs

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Alls well that ends well and a good lesson for everyone, no one thought of that. (y)
Thanks for the update.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hopefully it may just be that the piston stuck due to lack of use, but that can be a sign that the slave cylinder is on its way out, so if it happens again (hope not) it may need to be replaced.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Soooooooo for anybody interested in the whole whats wrong with the clutch - brace yourselves :LOL:. It had got stuck down and both my Dad and Husband didn't think to try and lift it, then when the garage called to tell them to make sure it didn't need just lifting up (granted my hubby wasn't there then) my hubby said that deffo wasn't the case - ermmmm turns out that's exactly what was wrong :X3: After the garage came to the storage and lifted up the pedal :oops:. Don't know whether to laugh or cry, relieved there no ££££ involved but seriously the stupidity makes me think we'll just sleep in the storage facilities. My newbie post couldn't of been more accurate, blind leading the blinderer. Anyway hope its given you some sighs and laughs
Apologies for being a party pooper but that seems very indicative of impending slave cylinder failure.
As some above have mentioned, it's inside the clutch housing, replacing is a gearbox off job.
My one cost £800.

Symptoms include clutch sometimes working fine, sometimes going to the floor without disengaging.

Drive the motorhome and check everything is ok.
It can come on quite subtly at first.

Not an unknown issue on Ducato's.

OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
No thanks a lot Jake, guy at the garage said its possibly the linkage but to drive it first and see how often its happening and then he'll get it in again to have a look at. Thanks for the heads up and party pooping totally allowed

OP
OP
Sorzar

Sorzar

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoroller 746
Exp
Hopefully it may just be that the piston stuck due to lack of use, but that can be a sign that the slave cylinder is on its way out, so if it happens again (hope not) it may need to be replaced.

Thanks Deneb - yep will Defford keep our eye on it and garage aware of it now so when we eventually get to drive it first sign its happening everything and we'll get it in. Thanks again

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had the same problem on one of our vans ( 2007 Fiat ) when in France. I drove it up from Boulogne to Calais without the clutch and when sat at Cite Europe negotiating with our recovery people and not getting the answers I wanted I decided to take a look. I lifted the pedal and hey presto clutch worked. Wish I had thought to try that in Boulogne! Had it replaced under warranty by the dealer when we got home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back